Thread: Another awesome weekend

Another awesome weekend

Dave and I met up this morning around 9 am. I found us a couple of new locations to try out. The first location was an old park from the 1890's. I know it's been hit pretty hard before, but thought we'd give it a try for just a bit. I stuck to the outside edges of the park where most detectorists probably hadn't bothered much. Within a few minutes I had my first confirmation that the park still held some old coins. It was a 1916 wheat at just about 7. A little later I found another buffalo nickel. How odd that I found my first one for the year last week and now I found another. This one had a mint mark too! It was a 1929 D. Sadly, I barely nicked it on the back. It looks worse in the picture than in person. A little while later I dug another wheat.

The battery on my pinpointer died so I went to the car and replaced it. I decided to head over to Dave and see how he was doing. When I got near him I could see that he had his camera out and was taking pictures of something in the hole. He saw me and gave me that silver smile. Awesome! I'll let him tell about his find in his post. I was pretty happy for him as the silver can be hard to come by around these parts. Not too far from Dave I dug another wheat.

Pickin's got a little slim and we grew tired of the site. I wanted to try another site before going home. This site was an old park that had been forgotten about years before detectors had come out. We pulled up to the site to find that the gate was locked. No bother, we decided to hit the area outside the gate on city property. The very first target I dug was a 1919 s merc. Sweet. But it gets better. A mere 6 from the merc I get another hit. Hmm, what could this be? When I dug it out all I could see was the edge in the dirt clod. I had to take a picture of it. By this time Dave says, Nobody will believe you. I'm seeing this and I don't believe it. Then he says something to the effect of, Knowing your luck it's a Barber. Wow, Dave sure can call them. Indeed it was a 1907 Barber dime! Sweet. Hey Dave, next time call it a Seated for me OK? I was one happy camper. Unfortunately my wishing well dried up so we called it quits for the day.

I had a great time Dave! Thanks for hanging out with an old Okie.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Re: Another awesome weekend

Nice job! Sounds like you guys had a good time.
    Those are the best time... fun with friends and a few good finds.
    Makes for a great day.
    Nice diggin's!

That had to be a fun hunt. I know the feeling you get when pulling out one of those babies. Very nice finds!

i like ur thinking...outside the gate....edging of the park! good job.
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Great finds Dale! I have to drive 800 miles to find barber dimes

That is an incredible day! You do give me hope, that I can find places in my own area that might give up some silver. Great silver! Congrats thumbsup01
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Sounds like a nice hunt you guys.. You two did great. Sweet finds and nice pictues..

Bruce
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

thats some very good silver and nice pictures Dale . congrats on the barber , merc and wheats.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WTG Dale!
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

Those two silver's sure look alot better than they did the last time I saw them. You guy's.. When and where Dale found these coins was pretty cool in itself. I was following Dale to this site and when I saw a fenced in area I felt the wind leave my sail. I was thinking Okay Dale suggested we hit along the fence line and see what happens. Well, I was game for that. Thinking to myself, all we will find here is pop cans and trash. I start off in one direction and Dale in the other. Seconds later. I'm not kidding seconds later he has a target. I got over to him just in time to see the merc just sitting ontop of the bottom of the plug. Awesome..... Okay! I'm off to go get mine and Dale call's me right back to the hole. I watched him dig this one and there on edge is sitting another silver! Unbelievable.. Nice going Dale!! thumbsup01

Nice digs! Finds like that would make my day for sure. I'm still waiting for my first Buff. Congrats!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Great finds! Love that old silver!
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Nice finds!! I love that silver!! But what's up with the Wheats That 1916 is in better shape than the 1953D is. Must of been a bad year for copper
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Glad to see that both of you had some good luck! WTG on the silver, buff and wheats Okie! I need to get my butt in gear and try and maintain my lead because I have a feeling the streak you are on it will not take long before I am back in second!

Wow... what a day, OD...! thumbsup01

Thanks everyone! I was just happy to get out and do some detecting.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Looks like you guys had a great time. Nice finds OD always love that silver. thumbsup01
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.