Thread: 1565 & 1715 Items St. Augustine Treasure Coast

1565 & 1715 Items St. Augustine Treasure Coast

Some things are worth more than GOLD... Rich with history St Augustine was very good to me a few years ago... Although I didn't get any silver pieces of eight that season... I did manage a few nice buckles that were scattered along the beach that day.... These buckles came from the 1715 Fleet area....
    On my next trip down south, I was lucky enough to score yet even more buckles from the Menendez / Ribault Massacre area of the beach... I found these 3 buckles that date back to the 1575 period... I love the larger buckle, it has an anchor for the latch part of the buckle... Not sure of their worth, but to me they are priceless... Thanks for following my posts... Happy Hunting....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    whydah

Re: 1565 & 1715 Items St. Augustine Treasure Coast

great buckles Whydah , i would love to see the reverse of the larger ornate one (the anchor shaped chape)
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

buckle tongue

This is the tongue sticking up through the buckle side with anchor showing.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    whydah

very hard to date that one ...

its possible it could be a shoe buckle and would date from 1660 to about 1690 or it could be a knee buckle and could date from about 1715 to 1790. without the tongue part to varify its hard to say for sure but its a very neat find regardless. the others in the first picture are older Spanish type military ones and one of the last ones you posted looks to be a spur buckle . thanks for showing them |

wow...
    How'd you get that tongue on the topside? Don't get to write that sentence very often. lol
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

it would have to be in two parts Drew , that anchor shaped chape is to long to be on the outside of the frame

Fantastic buckles wydah. I dug one today that is very similar to the one st the bottom of your hand in picture #1. Thnx for posting
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

buckle tongue

The Curator at the The museum in Sebastion said that this buckle is from around 1565 and from the EXACT area that the Menendez / Ribault Massacre happened.... The buckle is in 2 parts I just wanted to show the tounge that looked like an anchor....Thanks for all the input on this one...Knowledge is KING
    whydah

Re: buckle tongue

Quote Originally Posted by whydah link=topic=14529.msg152424#msg152424 date=1382833807
    The Curator at the The museum in Sebastion said that this buckle is from around 1565 and from the EXACT area that the Menendez / Ribault Massacre happened.... The buckle is in 2 parts I just wanted to show the tounge that looked like an anchor....Thanks for all the input on this one...Knowledge is KING
    did he specify what the buckle was used for ??

Hello Del

They were also not positive of what they were used for... Shoe Buckle or knee buckle were their best guess and possible coat or belt buckle... but definitely period buckles from that time frame.... they were a special treat to recover...I will treasure them forever and display them PROUDLY... not everyday we get a chance to uncover items of this magnitude....
    whydah

Re: Hello Del

Quote Originally Posted by whydah link=topic=14529.msg152445#msg152445 date=1382882877
    They were also not positive of what they were used for... Shoe Buckle or knee buckle were their best guess and possible coat or belt buckle... but definitely period buckles from that time frame.... they were a special treat to recover...I will treasure them forever and display them PROUDLY... not everyday we get a chance to uncover items of this magnitude....
    Whydah theres a discrepancy in their assesment , if they were confident it was a shoe or knee buckle it can't be from the 1500's because the buckles back then looked nothing like that for shoes or breeches. infact most shoes back then had no buckles at all . I have been recovering buckles very similar to this for almost 14 years now and have been reading what material is available about shoe and knee buckles ever since my first recovered one . I'm certainly no expert but I understand whole fleets and ships from many different centuries have gone down off the coast and for whats its worth in my opinion the buckle in question is from the time periods i mentioned and couldn't possibly be from that far back. now some of your others definately look like they could be , could it be that the ocean stirred up relics from multiple shipwreaks of different eras and they assumed because you found them all together or in close proximity that they all date to about the same time period??

Respectfully ,
    Dan

I suppose anything is possible....just going based on what I was told... I am no expert either... http://www.colchestertreasurehunting...findsindex.htm
    whydah

please don't take what i said the wrong way Whydah i don't mean any disrespect . thats a great website forum and a good reference .

Dan

no harm taken.... Love that site too... just going on what I was told.... I enjoy every ones input including yours...Thanks Whydah
    whydah