Thread: Do you dig Zincolns:huh:

Do you dig Zincolns:huh:

I had gotten a little lazy last year and was passing by those stinkin' Zincoln pennies in the parks I had hunted.
    I knew other items were in the same range but had gotten tired of all the corroded and new pennies that seemed to be everywhere. verreaction:

One club I belong to, had their annual hunt last month and one hunt (of the 3 separate hunts) reminded me of that specific range.

I had did an air test back in 2011 on some old pennies I had dug and some zincs and their numbers and ID icons were very similar. This year I had been going back to some of the parks that I was skipping the Zinc cents and decided to dig the targets with a Zinc reading.
    (5 of these .925 rings were dug this year in the parks I returned to.)
    I also retested some silver rings I had found also, and the results comfirmed what I had forgotten, because I got a bit lazy.

On my Fisher F5 and F70 all these items in the photo were in the Zinc penny range 55-62 on the numbers.
    On the Garrett AT Pro they ALL were numbers 75-76.
    On a Whites detector they ALL read from 55-58 on the VDI.

Passing on digging up those Zinc cents Good!!!!!! let me know where you have been, and I'll go dig the signals !!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Re: Do you dig Zincolns:huh:

I don't get a lot of park hunting in, but when I do, I usually dig the first couple to see the depths. Then I only dig the deeper ones so I don't miss any Indians. I never worry about missing the gold rings since I never find them anyways lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Some of the silver rings ring up the same as IH's and Zincs. Depending on thickness and the size and when the rings were lost---- they could be shallow in the dirt. The out of round silver ring that is in the top row of rings in the photo was 4 inches deep in the dirt. Not deep ........but was there for a while.
    Robbie
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

i find myself not digging a lot of real shallow penny signals they almost always are zincolns but you are right you never know if you dont dig by the way i use a e trac and it is very consistenton the pennys i have found a lot of small silver rings but no gold so maybe some could be masked like you say but in a lot of parks where we hunt you would dig all day for pennies so we skip some in hopes of getting the high tones dennis

Very good question. I myself have some physical needs that will be attended to shortly so I have been very selective in what targets I dig.

I use a V3i and the zincolns VDI usually run up in the low 70's. The reason for my response is that the last time I was out I got one of those VDI's and seeing that I was not digging much I decided to dig it. Turned out to be a Seated 1/2 dime, 1854.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=14627.msg153487#msg153487 date=1384127807
    Very good question. I myself have some physical needs that will be attended to shortly so I have been very selective in what targets I dig.

I use a V3i and the zincolns VDI usually run up in the low 70's. The reason for my response is that the last time I was out I got one of those VDI's and seeing that I was not digging much I decided to dig it. Turned out to be a Seated 1/2 dime, 1854.
    Sometimes the type of location will make you dig more. But in reality, anything can be at any depth, anywhere, so digging it all is the only 100% way to be sure you don't miss anything.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I used to skip the zinc Lincoln's until the day I was out with Lee and he found a fatty IH that rang up just like a zinc 55 VDI.
    Now I dig them all.

I pretty much dig all signals, or at least as close to it as I can stand.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Quote Originally Posted by POKIE73 View Post
    i find myself not digging a lot of real shallow penny signals they almost always are zincolns but you are right you never know if you dont dig by the way i use a e trac and it is very consistenton the pennys i have found a lot of small silver rings but no gold so maybe some could be masked like you say but in a lot of parks where we hunt you would dig all day for pennies so we skip some in hopes of getting the high tones dennis
    By passing on the Zincs you could miss some of the smaller silver rings. Even if you search in the totlot or on dirt. Some of the rings were only a couple inches deep----missed by others because they read---Zinc cent.
    Robbie

This is a great question. I have dug more Lincolns since October, My Pine tree 6 pence, rang in at 65 on my F75. Knowing now that silver will fall in this range I always dig Stinkin Lincolns, you never know what you will get.
    Primary machine: Fisher F75 SE Black
    Killer B's Camo headphones
    Oldest coin: 1652 Massachusetts pine tree 6 pence

There is no question that some desirable items can produce a signal like a Zincoln. Indian Head Cents as well as Half Dimes ring up just like Zincolns on the E-Trac, and I'm sure the same is true with other machines.

Whether or not I gig Zincoln signals depends on the type of site I'm hunting. If I'm in a target rich park I just can't justify retrieving Zincoln-like signals that are shallow. In my opinion, the return isn't worth the time you'd spend. My cut off point is about 3 inches. If I get a 12-37 signal on the E-Trac that is 3 inches deep or less I usually pass it up. There are exceptions to this, like when I'm hunting the bare dirt area at the base of a large tree. I have often found shallow Indian Heads at the base of trees.

Obviously if I were hunting a farm field I would dig all signals, or maybe if I were hunting a site that had few targets.

I like finding old items, I don't really care about modern jewelry. I realize that your mileage may vary and that's fine.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hell, I dig them all
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

On the beach, I dig it all. Of course a lot of the time, I'm swinging the PI but even with the Sov' I'll dig it all on the beach. On the few times I've done dirt fishin' I have dug everything but have doubted myself on a few that turned out to be good targets.

In most parks, I don't dig 'em. I agree with the OP that I'm passing up some targets, but I'm willing to take that risk. It's a return-on-effort thing with me.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    In most parks, I don't dig 'em. I agree with the OP that I'm passing up some targets, but I'm willing to take that risk. It's a return-on-effort thing with me.
    What would be the mimimum depth you would dig a penny at? I hear some say 3, some say 5. I take everything lol.
    Primary machine: Fisher F75 SE Black
    Killer B's Camo headphones
    Oldest coin: 1652 Massachusetts pine tree 6 pence

I definitely dig them. On my detector the Stzincers show up with vdi's in the mid fifties. Other targets I've dug with the same vdi's are: gold rings, silver rings, indian heads, buttons, costume jewelry, and even rarely silver dimes, ect... . In the silver dime cases there usually was a piece or pieces of iron pulling the vdi down. I guess what I'm saying is that it's really impossible to really know what a target is till you dig it. Having said that in park situations I sometimes get lazy and pass them by.
    Last edited by freemindstuck; 01-15-2014 at 07:38 PM.