Thread: Working with Archaeologists

Working with Archaeologists

Most of you probably have heard that DEL and I have been working with Archaeologists for around 4 seasons now. And during this harsh winter, when I am bored I watch episodes of timeteam to get my fix . This episode in particular hits the nail on the head with what happens when archaeologists meet detectorists for the first time and have to state their side of the story to each other. Although they have their huge differences, there was a lot of knowledge and understanding each others view points. Give it a look when you have around 45 minutes to spare. Let me know (civilly) what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD4C2qBcotw
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member
    I did get to watch the video and I liked it very much. In my opinion there seemed to be a lot of mistrust between them, and from the detectorists point of view I would probably feel the same way. Governmental agencies have not had a great tract record in situations like these here and I would have to believe it's the same in other countries.
    I don't agree with the British way of taking the items and selling them to a museum. It's like they are taking possession of the item found from the person that found it, and forcing the finder to relinquish his ownership to the object due to it's historic importance. I don't feel that any government should be allowed to do this, and that if they want to preserve these artifacts as they say, then they should then put the time and effort in locating them themselves.
    I would like to say that I have seen many times on this site the advise of following all the laws pertaining to your particular location and i do agree with it myself. I have purchased the permits for local and state, and most important to get permission from private land owners is very important. In this video you can see how these two men, not following the laws, has shed a bad light on the detectorist that do follow proper protocol in this hobby.
    The most important point that I get from this show is that both groups need to find a common ground and understanding in each others abilities and use those abilities to each others advantage. When this is done, great things can and will be accomplished.
    Thanks for the link Coinnut

Yep, these guys were on the complete opposite sides of the fence Mistrust is a good quality to have in this day and age. But they did work together, kinda like a bad blind date Each side presented their point of view and both sides walked away, albeit a bit unsettled. I really think each side learned from the other. I too am against confiscation of finds. I'll bet most finds in Britain do not get labeled National Treasure. I do know that our country does not put enough resources into saving history. The grants are out there, but no where near what it would take to do all the areas we detectorist hunt. That would be impossible. At least they have a system that allows detecting. Kind of ironic that America, decedents of the people that left Britain because they wanted freedom, can't detect on some private lands. In Britain they allow hunting on private property. Here in America certain states pass laws against metal detecting even on private property. So I think talks between both sides are crucial to the survival of detecting as we know it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

It was very interesting and I only hope that the archaeologist's keep the location under wraps as I'm sure the detectorists will. I'd love to be able to hunt in the area myself

Very interesting information and video! I ere on the side of historic preservation on these issues, but I also see archi's clamp down on such sites and then they are lost to history for ever, because they have neither the resources or the time to document them.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token