Thread: Short Hunt in Freezing Cold Yields A Nice Barber Quarter

Threaded View

Short Hunt in Freezing Cold Yields A Nice Barber Quarter

I had a brief window of opportunity to go detecting this morning, and although it was only 26 degrees I thought I could handle it. I didn't want to venture too far from home so I went back to good old "Two Cent Park" to see if I could coax any more keepers out of the ground.

I was bundled up to the hilt but holy cow that 25 mph wind was cold! I hunted for about 1 hour and 45 minutes before I decided I couldn't take it any more. In that time I found exactly five coins.

My first find of the day was a memorial cent. Not too exciting. But then I got a signal that sounded really sweet from one direction but totally disappeared when I turned 90 degrees. I dug it anyway and I'm glad I did because it ended up being a 1920 Mercury Dime. After that I got a couple of wheat cents.

Just when I was about to give up and go home because it was so cold I got a high-pitched signal at 7" deep. It sounded somewhat iffy at first, but after I circled around it and pinpointed it it sounded better. When I got the coin out of the hole into my dirt pile I could barely see the edge of a silver rim. At first I thought it was another silver dime, but when I picked it up and shook some dirt off I could see it was a silver quarter.

I took it back to my car where I had some water. One quick drenching told me it was a nice 1893 Barber Quarter. This is only my third silver quarter out of "Two Cent Park", previously I had found a seated quarter and a Barber quarter. Coincidentally, the previous Barber Quarter was also 1893 but it had an "S" mint mark.

I decided to quit on that note because I was getting really cold.

Here are my total finds for today:
    Name:  Coins-Dirty-Rev_zps730d9441.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  93.2 KBName:  Coins-Dirty-Obv_zpsaea46121.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  102.3 KB

Here is the 1893 Barber Quarter after cleaning:
    Name:  Barber-Obv_zpsf2fb41d3.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  93.9 KBName:  Barber-Rev_zps25aed631.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  106.9 KB

The 1910 Wheat Cent was fairly new when dropped:
    Name:  Wheat-1910_zpsafffc446.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  87.2 KB

I was very happy to get the Barber Quarter, it is only my third one of the year.

It's supposed to get down to 11 degrees tonight so this might be my last hunt for a while.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 02-20-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg