Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Hunt in Freezing Cold Yields A Nice Barber Quarter

Short Hunt in Freezing Cold Yields A Nice Barber Quarter

I had a brief window of opportunity to go detecting this morning, and although it was only 26 degrees I thought I could handle it. I didn't want to venture too far from home so I went back to good old "Two Cent Park" to see if I could coax any more keepers out of the ground.

I was bundled up to the hilt but holy cow that 25 mph wind was cold! I hunted for about 1 hour and 45 minutes before I decided I couldn't take it any more. In that time I found exactly five coins.

My first find of the day was a memorial cent. Not too exciting. But then I got a signal that sounded really sweet from one direction but totally disappeared when I turned 90 degrees. I dug it anyway and I'm glad I did because it ended up being a 1920 Mercury Dime. After that I got a couple of wheat cents.

Just when I was about to give up and go home because it was so cold I got a high-pitched signal at 7" deep. It sounded somewhat iffy at first, but after I circled around it and pinpointed it it sounded better. When I got the coin out of the hole into my dirt pile I could barely see the edge of a silver rim. At first I thought it was another silver dime, but when I picked it up and shook some dirt off I could see it was a silver quarter.

I took it back to my car where I had some water. One quick drenching told me it was a nice 1893 Barber Quarter. This is only my third silver quarter out of "Two Cent Park", previously I had found a seated quarter and a Barber quarter. Coincidentally, the previous Barber Quarter was also 1893 but it had an "S" mint mark.

I decided to quit on that note because I was getting really cold.

Here are my total finds for today:
    Name:  Coins-Dirty-Rev_zps730d9441.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  93.2 KBName:  Coins-Dirty-Obv_zpsaea46121.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  102.3 KB

Here is the 1893 Barber Quarter after cleaning:
    Name:  Barber-Obv_zpsf2fb41d3.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  93.9 KBName:  Barber-Rev_zps25aed631.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  106.9 KB

The 1910 Wheat Cent was fairly new when dropped:
    Name:  Wheat-1910_zpsafffc446.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  87.2 KB

I was very happy to get the Barber Quarter, it is only my third one of the year.

It's supposed to get down to 11 degrees tonight so this might be my last hunt for a while.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 02-20-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

"Great rewards for the man who braves the cold" well done Tony and very nice looking quarter

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice finds Tony,
    I went out this morning also. Although I wasn't rewarded as well as you.
    20 degrees and it snowed for about 15 minutes.
    I've been home for over an hour and my fingers are still numb.
    I must be nuts.
    Oh well, I'll try it again tomorrow. it's going up to 21 degrees
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats on the nice quarter, and the old merc Tony, It made the freezing hunt worth while! Kathy wants to know if you had your pink gloves on today!

Quote Originally Posted by Rgorman View Post
    Congrats on the nice quarter, and the old merc Tony, It made the freezing hunt worth while! Kathy wants to know if you had your pink gloves on today!
    That's funny, Ron, I actually thought of the pink gloves earlier today. I didn't have them on but I wish I would have! But they're so nice I'd hate to get them dirty.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Awesome score on the old barber, merc and one pristine 1910 Wheat

when i walked out this morning i said to myself you would have to be awful dedicated to go out this morning now i can see who is that dedicated congrats on braving the cold and getting rewared for it dennis

Short video of today's hunt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UJhYAS_6uw
    Lifetime totals:

Nice video Tony! Were you cold out there today?? Cool Barber Quarter Mike and I were just talking today about how long its been since we found a silver quarter. Congrats on the finds.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Great finds Tony!
    Any day that a barber is found is a good day in my book.

I had to work today. And tomorrow is supposed to be cold and very windy.

Name:  11-24-13 Wind Chill Forecast.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  28.3 KB
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

Thanks for the video Tony.
    Always interesting to see what you'll pull out of the ground next
    congrats on that Barber
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats on your finds. I went out today for four hours and got 2 Mercs. It was freezing but I did get silver! It is funny how finding silver warms you up.
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings

WTG on a great outing! Congrats on the silver and the Barber Quarter! It pays to dig those signals! Hopefully you get out some more, if not, let's hope for a short winter!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

beauty Tony! i miss diggin barbers
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Great finds Tony! As long as the ground is still diggable, a thermos of hot coffee in the car is a good way to last longer on those days.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

Elite Member
    Man you guys really brave the cold. Great quarter but I must say that 1910 Wheatie was really nice. Great finds on a chilly day. Wisconsin Digger

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on a nice hunt Tony. The barber quarter is a sweet find. WTG

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

I went back to Two Cent Park today for about 4 hours. Technically the temperature was lower today but it felt a LOT warmer. The sun was shining bright and there was no wind. It was 22 degrees when I started hunting, and fortunately the ground wasn't frozen even though our temps dropped to 7 degrees overnight.

I still have "Silver Park" in my back pocket, and I'm sure I'll be hunting there many more times in the future. However, this weekend I wanted to hunt at Two Cent Park because it has more potential for older coins, even though targets are becoming scarce there.

Today I got a nice 1882 Indian Head, 4 wheat cents and a 1927 Mercury Dime. I could tell that the 1882 Indian Head was in decent shape so I spent some time carefully cleaning it with a toothpick and some olive oil.

Here are today's finds:

The 1882 Indian Head wasn't in circulation too long before it was dropped. It cleaned up pretty well:

I don't think I will ever find all of the coins in this park. Every time I think I have it hunted out it surprises me.
    Lifetime totals:

It's very difficult to hunt when you are cold. The wind is a killer. That Barber looked like it was deep. Some hard earned targets for sure. The '82 Indian is beautiful. Great color to it. Some good hunts that may just be the last ones of this year.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Blog Entries
    Amazing finds!
    Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero & Silver uMax.