Thread: retraced saturday's hunt

retraced saturday's hunt

saturday i hunted 11 parking meters and turned up $13.21 in coins. i went back today and found $4.45 at the same meters. good thing? yes. but i wonder why i missed so much and even missed a pocketwatch at 2 inches. i used the same exact settings both times. it did rain all day saturday. maybe that is why?

There are a lot of reasons why we miss things. The rain helps a little if the items are small and deep. Mostly we miss things because we are not robots and can not be sure every swing is the same distance left to right and front to back. Also we tend to wander, and almost never go straight Just try hunting when there is a light layer of snow on the ground. Don't look at the footprints until the hunt is over. You will be amazed on how well you do not cover an area.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

thanks coinnut, i know there are a lot of variables, did you see my post from saturday called it's coinnuts fault? i am still using your suggestion of cranking up the sensitivity and i notice a dramatic change in my finds. i am going to hit it again soon in hopes that i am weeding out the clad and getting closer to the silver. those meters have been here at least 50 years. i rememer as a kid i always got to feed the meters. thanks again for your advice

You make a good point. Removing some items previously, is very much responsible for unmasking more finds this time around. I wonder how long it will be before you can not even get a one target. Then I would try all metal mode and see what lies deep And for the record it always seems to be my fault

Same situation has happened to me. I firmly believe that the rain has a lot to do with it. Coinnut has once again given some great advise. :Congrats: on your keepers
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Way to smoke out those items that were hiding the first time!

Does the watch still glow in the dark?
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member
    Coinnut is right on about the drifting. Just hunt in the morning when there is dew on the grass and walk for awhile and turn around and see how straight you were. Also, at least on the Etrac, a signal may be almost nothing till you get right on top of it then it starts to get better. So if you miss the first squeak you miss the coin. I'll admit to not being very thorough as it always keeps me motivated to think I missed something and I ALWAYS do. Keep digging as MY time in Wisconsin is almost over,. you guys keep me motivated through the winter. Thx Wisconsin Digger

Super haul you got there neat watch

Ok, guys, being new to the hobby, I'm very green about some of the terminology used. Of course, the more I read, the more I am picking up, but I've seen the term "clad" used, and while I'm fairly sure of it's meaning, will someone please tell me it's exact meaning and is it an acronym for something?

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    Ok, guys, being new to the hobby, I'm very green about some of the terminology used. Of course, the more I read, the more I am picking up, but I've seen the term "clad" used, and while I'm fairly sure of it's meaning, will someone please tell me it's exact meaning and is it an acronym for something?
    The term "clad" refers to dimes and quarters minted from 1965-present. Many people use the term to describe ALL coins minted from 1965-present, i.e. the clad era.

Dimes and quarters minted in 1964 and earlier were made out of 90% silver. From 1965-present they are made from copper sandwiched between two layers of nickel, aka "clad".

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 11-26-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    The term "clad" refers to dimes and quarters minted from 1965-present. Many people use the term to describe ALL coins minted from 1965-present, i.e. the clad era.

Dimes and quarters minted in 1964 and earlier were made out of 90% silver. From 1965-present they are made from copper sandwiched between two layers of nickel, aka "clad".

Hope this helps.
    Thank you, Tony Two-Cent, indeed it does help. I was on the right track, I just didn't know the date-specific facts. While you are being so helpful, I was also wondering: If you go to a park and find surface coins, presumably current dated clad, including pennies that are darkened with dirt/clay/grime, what can you use to clean them, so retailers/banks will accept them?

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    Thank you, Tony Two-Cent, indeed it does help. I was on the right track, I just didn't know the date-specific facts. While you are being so helpful, I was also wondering: If you go to a park and find surface coins, presumably current dated clad, including pennies that are darkened with dirt/clay/grime, what can you use to clean them, so retailers/banks will accept them?
    Many people, including myself, use a rock tumbler to clean modern coins before taking them to the bank. Rock tumblers are available at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or many places on the internet. I sort the coins by denomination, as I've heard that cents will discolor other coins if you tumble them together. I just add a little Dawn dishwashing liquid and water and tumble the coins for about an hour. Some people add vinegar and aquarium gravel but I've never bothered with that. Water and dishwashing liquid removes all of the soil from the coins, and my bank gladly accepts them after they've been tumbled.
    Lifetime totals:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Many people, including myself, use a rock tumbler to clean modern coins before taking them to the bank. Rock tumblers are available at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or many places on the internet. I sort the coins by denomination, as I've heard that cents will discolor other coins if you tumble them together. I just add a little Dawn dishwashing liquid and water and tumble the coins for about an hour. Some people add vinegar and aquarium gravel but I've never bothered with that. Water and dishwashing liquid removes all of the soil from the coins, and my bank gladly accepts them after they've been tumbled.
    Thank you again, Tony Two-Cent. You have been most helpful.

yep tony the watch still glows in the dark. and coinnut it is your fault i am finding more things, thanks to your advice. i am hoping for a fairly decent day to go back and try all metal mode, which for the record is your advice...lol

Quote Originally Posted by sfox54 View Post
    and coinnut it is your fault i am finding more things, thanks to your advice. i am hoping for a fairly decent day to go back and try all metal mode, which for the record is your advice...lol
    I hope you get a chance to still detect after this weather system that is moving in. If you only find junk, it's your fault