Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Higley Copper Possibly?

Perfect timing for deer hunting season! Congrats on what I assume is a crazy sick find! I have never heard of such a coin until this thread. When I googled it, WOW!! Hope we can see some nice clear, clean pics on that thing! Congrats!!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Congrats Scott, I thought it was just a piece of jewelry when I first saw it. Amazing how rare they are!

Certainly looks like a Higley. A valuable piece even in this condition with a hole. One of the foremost experts on Higleys is Dan Freidus. He's out at the U of Mich. If you can send me better pics, I'll forward them on to him for his opinion. Even though it has a hole and is encrusted, if you could get the weight in grains it would help. If you know someone who reloads the grain scale for that is great and accurate.
    Don Mituzas
    Former contributor for Colonials to the Guide Book of United States Coins (1995-2003).
    Founding member and first treasurer C4 - Colonial Coin Collectors Club

Thanks Don for your help I sent you a private message.
    2015 YTD $4.96 Silvers (16) Buff (3) V Nickel (4) IH (4) Gold (1) Minelab Safari and ProFind

Man a Higley Copper that is a significant find....WOW
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

The reason a Higley would be so far from Simsbury is because they were made of such pure copper the goldsmiths like to use them to alloy gold.

Awesome find for sure

WOW !! The HOLY GRAIL of Coppers !!! Nice find. Does anyone know how much the hole and the Condition will effect the Value of the Coin ? By the way, I haven't been on in a long time and I Love the New changes to the site !
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Super nice congrats
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MX Sport

Wow!
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...