Thread: First time out with Whites TDI SL

First time out with Whites TDI SL

I decided I needed a PI machine and after seeking lots of advice I bought a used Whites TDI SL. I put it all together the night I got it and hit the beach the next day with a wind chill of 22 degrees! I was there from 10:30 am till sundown at 4:45ish and dug until my forearms started giving out and I would have to put my machine down to lift the scoop with two arms just to get it out of the hole. I knew about the learning curve with any new machine much less going to a PI machine so I dug EVERYTHING! I know I did my share of cleaning that beach of 20 year old pull tabs and rusty nails and lots of other unidentifiable rusty items. I dug clad and a Connecticut Company Token and an Irish Coin form 1996. The sun was going down and I was making my way (the long way) back to the parking lot and decided the detect along the waters edge. I was cold and beat but obsessed so I kept swinging... I got a faint signal and took two big scoops out and saw a glimpse of yellow wire, I reaching in my double gloved hand as quick as I could before the hole filled in with water and pulled out a gold wire ring (still not sure it wasn't a yellow wire). When I got home and looked with the loop I saw the most beautiful words... Tiffany & Co 750! So my first gold ring was a Tiffany one at that! Now I really have the fever!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    minelab e-trac, whites xlt, deeptech vista gold, troy shadow x2, white's TDI SL, garrett pro pointer

congrats on that awesome ring and the new machine that found it..
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Thanks Don! Now I can't wait to get back out there! My arms will be falling off!
    minelab e-trac, whites xlt, deeptech vista gold, troy shadow x2, white's TDI SL, garrett pro pointer

Stacey that machine is a beast on the sand , i've retrieved nickles at 20 inches easily . they have a very nice tone too!! its a great machine and love mine on the wet sand . congrats on the Tiffany gold

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Stacey that machine is a beast on the sand , i've retrieved nickles at 20 inches easily . they have a very nice tone too!! its a great machine and love mine on the wet sand . congrats on the Tiffany gold

Dan
    Thanks Dan! Hope you had a great "Black Friday" hunt, so bummed I missed it!

Hey Stacey what coil did you end up with on that machine , the 12 inch or the 7.5?? the 12 is a bit tricky to locate just where the target is and the 7.5 is a bit small on a beach , so i opted to get the Razorback 8.5 x 11 its a great all around coil to use.

Quote Originally Posted by sprosoff View Post
    Thanks Dan! Hope you had a great "Black Friday" hunt, so bummed I missed it!
    Stacey there was only three of us that made it but we all had a copper and some buttons and or relics.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

What a nice looking ring. I bet it's on your finger already That machine will get you to dig a lot of targets, that's for sure. Good luck with it and I hope you strike more gold!!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member
    A great ring and good luck with the new machine. Be patient with the new machine it will come to you. It took me several months to really get used to mine, and at times I'm still learning new things about its capabilities. Congrats and HH

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Hey Stacey what coil did you end up with on that machine , the 12 inch or the 7.5?? the 12 is a bit tricky to locate just where the target is and the 7.5 is a bit small on a beach , so i opted to get the Razorback 8.5 x 11 its a great all around coil to use.
    I am using the 12" and not struggling tooo much with the target location, I did read that others use that same Razorback coil and love it, I may invest if I feel like I'm digging to China! That happened today and I knew it couldn't be as far down as I was digging so I grabbed my pinpointer and found it in the side wall of the hole. That is probably a scenario where that coil would come in handy. Plus it is easier digging in the sand than at a root filled cellar hole if you have misjudged the target so that's another scenario where I could use that coil! I haven't seen too many used ones come across eBay so I will keep looking. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Timewarpdigger View Post
    A great ring and good luck with the new machine. Be patient with the new machine it will come to you. It took me several months to really get used to mine, and at times I'm still learning new things about its capabilities. Congrats and HH
    Thanks! I think I have figured out that those "Screaming" tones are bottle caps! or maybe something really big or really shallow...see, I still have a lot to figure out! I am super patient and SUPER persistent! Thanks for the advice.

Congratulations on your first gold ring, I'm certain it won't be your last.

I'm not familiar with the TDI but if it's like the other machines, don't forget the 3 S's, size, shape and sound.

Like the DFPI, I used to dig everything because I was afraid to leave gold behind. It wasn't until this year that I can leave some targets behind and be confident that they aren't gold .
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Great score on the Tiffany ring Stace. Did you go in the water or just wet sand?
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Always like to see the colors gold or silver in the hole. I see detecting as Christmas morning, every time you dig a hole it is like opening a present. Sometimes you like what you see and sometimes you don't , but you keep on digging regardless. Good finds perseverance does pay off.

Just reading all of the posts, I hear and KNOW exactly the enthusiasm you all are experiencing. Being 1 month new, I can hardly think about anything except when and where my next hunt will be. I am quite envious of those near the beach, but I have plenty of places to spend my time, but with different results. What a fever this hobby has become. Congrats on that cool looking gold ring. I probably would have peed my wetsuit!

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    Just reading all of the posts, I hear and KNOW exactly the enthusiasm you all are experiencing. Being 1 month new, I can hardly think about anything except when and where my next hunt will be. I am quite envious of those near the beach, but I have plenty of places to spend my time, but with different results. What a fever this hobby has become. Congrats on that cool looking gold ring. I probably would have peed my wetsuit!
    Just so you know, I've been doing this for over 40 years and the fever never goes away completely Sometimes it wanes a bit, but usually comes back full force
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Wow, coinnut, that is amazing. I just wish I had started sooner. Well, perhaps not. Would never have gotten anything accomplished! But plenty of ground and life left ahead of me, so I'll make up for lost time past. HH for sure.

Love that ring! Congrats!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

Very nice! Congratulations! Those are some tough weather conditions to be out but you sure made it pay off!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Congrats on the Tiffany gold ring .That is quite an effort you put in to get it ,I'm glad you got a nice reward .

Wow!!!!!! First hunt with the TDI/SL, first GOLD with it and Tiffany to boot, now that's what I call fantastic

.................................................. ..................