Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to clean wheats?

Re: How to clean wheats?

I experimented with a few things, didn't have much luck with the peroxide trick. Tried the olive oil suggestion and that didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Hot water and some Dawn dishsoap with a toothbrush and Qtips - and patience cleaned a lot of them up pretty good. I also use a tumbler with a coarse grit - let them tumble for a few days.

I experimented with Tarnex and would not recommend that at all.

The wheaties I used tarnex on were black as coal when I found them, you can see some of the black yet in this picture. The tarnex took away that nice penny look.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Grand Rapids, MN
    DFX 300
    Sunray DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by psychposse View Post
    I experimented with Tarnex and would not recommend that at all.

The wheaties I used tarnex on were black as coal when I found them, you can see some of the black yet in this picture. The tarnex took away that nice penny look.

A while back I experimented soaking a few wheaties in baking soda water, (accidentally overnight) and the result looks same as what your tarnex did... leached the color.

Here's my 1864, does this look like bronze disease? It's corroding along the edges- not a layer that can be removed but the actual penny itself.

It's actually very green (it's on the left) the lighting on those pics make it look brown.

Is there any way to change it back to brown- in real life? lol I guess the lime does it here... I found it next to a gravel driveway.

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Tana, can't really tell by the pictures, but I would say it's just the normal corrosion, although the edges seem a bit eaten. Cleaning copper is the hardest thing to do because each piece is individual. So many different types of corrosion to deal with. If you ever get a chance, get a small jar of renaissance wax from Amazon (or any another place). A little goes a long way. If the coin is clean of most of the dirt, just let it dry well, and give it a small coating (especially the edges) and leave it be. It is a special one to you and you shouldn't be experimenting on that on. That is what Memorials and common Wheats are for lol I like the green patina on some coppers.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Have you tried Tarn-x wipe and rinse,it works on silver,gold platinum,diamonds and of course Copper,you can get it at Kroger,mine cost $5.99 for a big bottle,it will make them shine like a new penny ,good luck,dave
    Life Is Short,Make everyday Count,Go for the Gold!

I wouldn't use any more than just dish soap and a toothbrush on that one tanacat. Bronze disease is a bright green and that's not it. If you haven't use olive oil on it, you can if there's still some dirt you can't get off with soap, once you soaked it in olive oil you can then use the toothbrush and soap.

I wouldn't touch it at all...anymore lol
    All most every IH I've found is green like that. I personally like it
    It looks good the way it is Although the edges are eaten up quite a bit...I've found some with that...but not as bad.
    Of course being in the ground for 146 years...I'd say it held up pretty darn good thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Of course being in the ground for 146 years...I'd say it held up pretty darn good thumbsup01
    Very true! But I found my 1820 LC (190 yrs old) nearby and it looks near mint condition! It was at base of big old oak tree - not near the gravel. Interesting how soil plays such a role - the 1901 IH in pic above, I found at the base of several coniferous trees and it looks great. I'd think the acidity of the needles would be damaging...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Tanacat I found another Indian the same day that I found the 1892 Indian posted earlier in this thread and the other Indian was only about 20 - 30 feet away in the same kind of dirt but badly corroded, it just didn't make a bit of sense, my brother even commented when I found them that the one was beautiful and the other one was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Tana, can't really tell by the pictures, but I would say it's just the normal corrosion, although the edges seem a bit eaten. Cleaning copper is the hardest thing to do because each piece is individual. So many different types of corrosion to deal with. If you ever get a chance, get a small jar of renaissance wax from Amazon (or any another place). A little goes a long way. If the coin is clean of most of the dirt, just let it dry well, and give it a small coating (especially the edges) and leave it be. It is a special one to you and you shouldn't be experimenting on that on. That is what Memorials and common Wheats are for lol I like the green patina on some coppers.
    This one is an 1864 of the L variety is why I'm so concerned...

Oops, I soaked it in olive oil for a few days but I think it looks better. It took a lot of the green color away & looking less 'dug' now. I'll show another pic soon. I'll do what you say about the wax. Should I put in air tight container next? I've never had a coin special enuff to do it. Well except maybe my coppers.

What do you do with all your coppers G? I bet you have in a nice display case now?
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    What do you do with all your coppers G?

I usually dangle them in front of Del and watch his reaction . Most coppers don't have any disease on them, so I lightly clean them and put them in 2x2's. I then keep them in metal boxes used for film slides. The slots fit nicely for 2x2's and I can store 125 in each of them. Here's some pictures of just the Large Cent / Half Cent box.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very cool- thanks for sharing this great idea thumbsup01 I never asked/saw how you stored your finds. How about your silvers, buttons, relics, etc? lol I'm sure if I look back in this section (storage/cleaning) far enough I'll find an answer...

Just realized I haven't frequented this section much and I've been around here for coming up on a year! Being pretty new to MDing, I'm just now accumulating enough stuff where I feel the need to look into storage... ramble ramble lol

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Very cool- thanks for sharing this great idea thumbsup01 I never asked/saw how you stored your finds. How about your silvers, buttons, relics, etc? lol
    I store the silvers the same way, but want to take the better grade ones and slab them myself. I bought 200 (I think) slabs for $99.00 of various sizes so that I clould slab, label and grade them myself. The other stuff stays in boxes and eventually will reside in the Riker boxes that are cheap and still look good.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I bought 200 (I think) slabs for $99.00 of various sizes so that I clould slab, label and grade them myself.
    You can do that?? I thought you had to be 'professonally officiated' to do that or whatever... lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

That explains why I have see some slabbed coins on Ebay that sure don't look up to snuff in my book but then when you look at the place grading it you can see it's just what someone made up themselves.

You can do that?? I thought you had to be 'professonally officiated' to do that or whatever... lol
    Democracy at it's best. lol When someone can make a buck selling something, it will be for sale Besides that, they are made in China Bought them on E Bay and they are snap together cases that are the same look as the slabs.

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    That explains why I have see some slabbed coins on Ebay that sure don't look up to snuff in my book but then when you look at the place grading it you can see it's just what someone made up themselves.
    Yep, that's them. It can lead to someone buying just a fancy sealed, over graded coin