Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to clean wheats?

Re: How to clean wheats?

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    Have you soaked some of your worst coppers just to see if bring out more detail? Handyman (Kevin) says it takes corrosion off, not just dirt...
    Yea, for my coppers it would take forever. It's a slow process and yes, it will continue to take off the dirt and green, but I ain't that patient. I have had them in there for 6 mos and still didn't get all that green off of them. But you will not like what is under that green lol Sometimes the green hides the pits that are under there. It is worth a try on the different types of conditions your coins are in, (dirt, green, red colors, etc...) They will all clean differently.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Oh I'll end up tossing them in w/my copper pennies... worth about 2 cents a piece lol
    I'm experimenting in hopes of doing best for a wheat with a keydate Have you found any/many btw? Ever sold anything? Or is that too personal a question
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I'm experimenting in hopes of doing best for a wheat with a keydate Have you found any/many btw? Ever sold anything? Or is that too personal a question
    Nothing is too personal for millions of people to see lol I'll just make it up No key dates for me yet. Nothing like a 1909 S VDB or a 1916D Merc. Most of my coins are older so I get a lot of oddball overdates but not really considered rare. I never sell anything I find. Might give some away, but I don't sell it. Don't know why though I hope when you get a key date coin, it will just be dirt on it and you can rinse it clean lol

i don't plan on selling any coins i find ,but i do like to see the dates for history sake,any metal i find i try to clean also. I use some stuff called Barkeepers Friend either with water as a paste or dry. I usually pay 2.00 a can
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

I had some coins that were so crud covered that i knew that i couldn't ruin them. They weren't going to be worth much even if they were rare dates. These were pennies that were green or covered with growths of corrosion. Those got put into the rock tumbler with some aquarium stones water and dishsoap. After tumbling overnight i found one was a wheat. But that was about all you could tell about it. Almost all the details were corroded away. But at least it was shiney! I have also tried the heated peroxide heated in a plastic bottle cap and dropping the penny in. That worked on a better penny i had. But i don't worry too much about hurting the value of wheat pennies by tumbling them. If it's not a rare one.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

I usually use hot peroxide to clean mine, sometimes they really look nice as long as the ground hasn't corroded them real bad.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice wheat Larry thumbsup01
    Today is my day

I use peroxide on all my Indians too,,,,,unless I find that 1877 model,,,,then I'm not touching it with anything <: <: <: <:
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Quote Originally Posted by Carver View Post
    I use peroxide on all my Indians too,,,,,unless I find that 1877 model,,,,then I'm not touching it with anything <: <: <: <:
    This is my most primo shaped Indian this year, I used hot peroxide, soap and water on it.
    If they have bronze disease on them you're better off using olive oil I think.

Nice 1909 VDB. But it seems that hot peroxide took the S right off of it rofl Great Indian too. Soil condition is what really helps them out. Some people are just blessed with good soil and drainage I'm not one of them lol

That wheat cent is in excellent condition, as is the Indian Head cent. Very nice! thumbsup01

Way cool section !!!
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Quote Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
    Way cool section !!!
    thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice 1909 VDB. But it seems that hot peroxide took the S right off of it rofl
    rofl rofl rofl Good one George thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    This is my most primo shaped Indian this year, I used hot peroxide, soap and water on it.
    If they have bronze disease on them you're better off using olive oil I think.
    I have an 1864 bronze I might clean... I'll post a pic of it later and ask your advice... it might crumble, it's crumbly on the edges... is that the 'bronze disease'? Maybe I should use oil instead if that's the case. It's the first IH I found and special I gently washed with dishwashing liquid and put in coin sleeve.
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

That sure is one heck of a beauty Lar!!!!!!

I gently washed with dishwashing liquid and put in coin sleeve.
    I saw on a tv show regarding coin collecting/collectors and from that talked to a few experts on this coin sleeve issue....after cleaning....

Some of the general consensus is, if a coin has any degree of disease or molds, placing in sleeves can accelerate the process even faster even after cleaning. Sometimes just lightly wrapping in acid free tissue is better.

Food for thought...I know I took out a few of my treasures after talking to these folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Some of the general consensus is, if a coin has any degree of disease or molds, placing in sleeves can accelerate the process even faster even after cleaning. Sometimes just lightly wrapping in acid free tissue is better.
    Thanks for the advice- I'm pretty new at coin collecting. Arrowhead hunting is my thing

So what is this bronze disease? I've never heard of any coin having disease or molds...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Thanks for the advice- I'm pretty new at coin collecting. Arrowhead hunting is my thing

So what is this bronze disease? I've never heard of any coin having disease or molds...
    Chlorides (found in the ground) and moisture will continuously dissolve (corrode) the bronze until it is just green powder. Chlorides need to be neutralized for the disease to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Chlorides (found in the ground) and moisture will continuously dissolve (corrode) the bronze until it is just green powder. Chlorides need to be neutralized for the disease to stop.
    ... so soak it in something? Or is wrapping in acid free tissue sufficient to neutralize?
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

... so soak it in something? Or is wrapping in acid free tissue sufficient to neutralize?
    You probably don't have bronze disease, but it would be best to Google it and see more info on it. If you do have it, reverse electrolysis would do the trick (at least it gets rid of chlorides in iron) and then you would have to seal it up (like microcrystaline wax). But chances are you just have the other forms of corrosion, copper alloys go through. It's a list of a bunch of different corrosions that a bronze coin can go through and it's mostly from what is in contact with it in the soil. Putting it in oil would be OK. A 2x2 is ok too. When in doubt...do nothing with it but oil it and put it away.

I tumble all of mine not gonna ever sell em but want em to look nice for me.
    Loving my God, Being a husband and father, Detecting every chance I get!