Thread: 2 cent before and after

2 cent before and after

used lemon juice and than backing soda to neutralize the acid and the jewelers grade steel wool and then toned with my homemade toner.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Wow, incredible results, Coop!

It turned out beautifully!

I am very interested in how you toned the coin. I bought a pile of large cents at an auction about 30 years ago and they have all been improperly cleaned. I have always wondered how I might possibly return them to a more natural, darker color.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

very nice indeed wtg
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Yeah Coop, you'll have to give us step-by-step instructions because I want my coins to look as good as yours! Otherwise my cousin Guido may have to "persuade" you!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

great results Coop
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow!!!!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Nice job on the 2 cent coop Is the jewelers grade steel wool finer than #0000?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Wow, incredible results, Coop!

It turned out beautifully!

I am very interested in how you toned the coin. I bought a pile of large cents at an auction about 30 years ago and they have all been improperly cleaned. I have always wondered how I might possibly return them to a more natural, darker color.
    Thanks, The toner is homemade. U could try boiling an egg then slicing it up in a ziplock bag while still hot with the coins in the bag. The sulfer in the egg will darken the copper. HH

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Yeah Coop, you'll have to give us step-by-step instructions because I want my coins to look as good as yours! Otherwise my cousin Guido may have to "persuade" you!
    lol, First off ill start by saying this is an aggressive cleaning method and could completely destroy a coin. i soaked in lemon juice to remove as much green as possible then I neutralized the acid in the lemon juice with backing soda, Next i used #0000 steel wool to remove the corrosion from the pitting in the coin, After that i applied the toner until I got the color that I wanted and thats it. HH

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice job on the 2 cent coop Is the jewelers grade steel wool finer than #0000?
    nope, thats exactly what i used

WOW that looks great

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    lol, First off ill start by saying this is an aggressive cleaning method and could completely destroy a coin. i soaked in lemon juice to remove as much green as possible then I neutralized the acid in the lemon juice with backing soda, Next i used #0000 steel wool to remove the corrosion from the pitting in the coin, After that i applied the toner until I got the color that I wanted and thats it. HH
    Hi Coop and all,

As Coop mentions, lemon juice is very acidic and can cause more harm than cure. Here are a few tips and products we use for our cleaning/restoring old/ancient copper coins and artifacts that anyone can use. Here's what you'll need: MSR, a battery-powered Dremel Hand Tool, SBBB (Soft-bristle brass brush), not the ones from the Dremel folks, Jax Brown re-patinating solution, and Ren Wax.

Rather than lemon juice, we suggest Mint State Restoration solution (contains zero acid), cut 50/50 with distilled water. Soak your encrusted item for a few hours in MSR as above, remove and then address with the Dremel tool and SBBB under running water, using just the tips of the brush to 'tickle' the surfaces. Repeat until the all the encrustations have been removed. Note: the bristles on the SBBB are quite long and very gentle to surfaces. Then apply Jax Brown to the surfaces with a Q-tip. Rinse and allow to dry for 24 hours. Buff both sides on a cotton towel, apply the Rex wax, let dry, buff the wax and you're done. Very simple, trust me.

Hey Kevin, I will be trying that method over the winter on some trashed coppers to see if I can get any details from them, but also to get used to the method. Is it as effective for copper as it is for bronze?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Hello Kevin , if you don't mind maybe you could start another post/thread by explaining some of the chemicals , their use and showing us some before and after their use. I 'm sure there are more than a few of here would be very interested.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WOW!!! That is simply an amazing result! Thanks for posting the info! I hunt mostly contruction projects and get some really toasty coins, I may have to rethink my process and try this on some of them next year.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token