Thread: Cleaning and Restoration of Copper/Bronze Coins and Artifacts Lesson #1

Cleaning and Restoration of Copper/Bronze Coins and Artifacts Lesson #1

Ave!

Cleaning and Restoration of Copper/Bronze Coins and Artifacts Lesson #1

It's not as difficult as you may think, as long as you have the correct ways and methods. We've been restoring ancient coins and artifacts for close to 25 years and we're pleased to share our experience with all of you.

When it comes to final restoration, it's all about the original condition, folks. IE, green encrustations, dirt, bronze disease, etc...

Our collogue, chemist Bruce K, that provides us with a number of dry mixes under the brand name Gringgott's. Each of these mixes can be used for specific cleaning purposes. See the following link:

http://www.nobleromancoins.com/index.php?cPath=13

When used as described, these mixes will not harm patinas.

Always open for questions,

Kevin

Hey Kevin , would it be possible for you to post some example coins before and after pictures so we can get an idea as to what it exactly does or kind of results to expect ?? some of us have a limited imagination

thanks,
    Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Ave All!

Okay, here goes...

The Ginggott's Wizard Mixes come in four different categories from gentle to harsh, depending on the condition of your coin/artifact. The most gentle is Conservator's Mix, next is #2, then #1 and finally #3 which is serious business, trust me. All but #3 (which contains lye) will not harm patina when used as described. In most cases with just dirt and minor encrustations, all it takes is just soaks, toothbrush, and perhaps a common dental pick. I've found that no two coins or artifacts are ever the same, and it's always best to begin with the most gentle soak.

As you know, I'm mainly and ancient's guy, so please bare with me here, okay? Seen below is a before/after photo of a 1,900 year-old Judaic Revolt issue that appeared to be hopeless. After using the GGt's mixes in order, this was the final result.Name:  1st Revolt B and A copy.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  102.6 KB

Here in another example of how these mixes work on a 3,000 year-old bronze statue from Egypt.

Name:  Egypt Before copy.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  44.6 KBName:  Egypt After copy.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  39.0 KB

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Kevin

Did you go through all the mixes right up to the #3 (lye), in order to get them to that level of clean? Great job on the coin.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Ave,

Thanks for the coin kudos; It was hard to imagine that so much detail would surface.

In both cases, seeing the encrustations, I began with #1 just to see what would happen, then went straight to #3. The tools I used were a common scalpel and two different soft-bristle brass brushes. Once all the encrustations were removed, I used JAX Brown for re-patination.

More GGts Mixes photos and applications to follow.

Best to all,

Kevin

Just incredible results! WOW!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Ave!

Gringgott's Mixes are not just for harsh or tough encrustations. They work great on hard dirt coins and artifacts, as well.

As seen in the photos below, we receive lots of ancient dirt-covered coins. To insure that the original patina remains firm and intact, we begin with GGTTs #2. Soak and brush, repeat until 75% of the dirt is gone and we see that the patina is still intact. We then proceed to the very gentle GGTT's Conservator Mix for the final cleaning. The cleaned coins are Greek ca. 1st Cent B.C.
    Name:  DSCN1213.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  74.6 KBName:  011.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  89.4 KB

Please, questions anyone?
    Last edited by Mayadigger; 12-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Kevin the coin and statuette results up above are very very impressive and the dirty coins cleaned while retaining their patina . as you know a lot of the coins here are made of 100% copper , how are these mixes with these type of coins ?? would you use only the mildest mix on them or is there a special mix for just copper coins ?? thanks

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Ave Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Kevin the coin and statuette results up above are very very impressive and the dirty coins cleaned while retaining their patina . as you know a lot of the coins here are made of 100% copper , how are these mixes with these type of coins ?? would you use only the mildest mix on them or is there a special mix for just copper coins ?? thanks

Dan
    For high copper alloy US coins...? It depends upon the condition of the issue, patina/no patina, etc. In most cases we suggest that you begin with GGTTs Conservator Mix. Extremely gentle on copper coins; no harm/no foul.

Merry Christmas!

Kevin

congratulations for cleaning coins