Thread: Investment?

Investment?

Curious... How much have you invested money wise in your pastime?
    You can never have too many pugs....

Probably about a quarter of what i'm going to.
    A tenth if i'm to include batteries and car mat cleaning
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

My biggest expenditure is probably gas money. I do a lot of driving to various different sites. Over the past 3 years since I got back into metal detecting, I have spent more on gas money than the initial cost of my E-Trac. ($1500)

But other than the initial cost of the E-Trac and gas money, I don't spend a lot of other funds on detecting. I don't really feel that I need aftermarket coils, headphones, etc.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I am somewhere around $2000 but that includes my ace 350. that I gave to my Dad when I upgraded. If you happen to talk to my wife, that number is closer to $1200.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Stout View Post

not as much as i've gotten back (new friendships made , much needed exercise and not to mention I've probably paid for my machines and gear twenty times over with the coins , relics , jewelry and of course clad that I've found) .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hmmm, lets see... first machine purchased was White's M6 cost $600 sold it for $400 after two yrs usage. Bought a used MXT-Pro $500. Bought Tesoro Sand Shark Used $400. Still have both. Gear and coils probably around $500 spent. Batteries over the yrs no clue but I would estimate maybe $200 spent. Total spent not including gas money around $1800- $2000.

Value of items dug easily five fold.
    Friends and life changing experiences gained = $PRICELESS$
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

I'd have to adjust my spending for inflation From around 1971 to now but it is well worth it!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

More money that I would like to admit, and if you include upgrading machines and accessories over the years and battery's and fuel along with a nifty t-shirt and hat, I'm about north of a buck three eighty.
    John
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3

My Wife says too much but she tags along with my XLT and I can see she has the bug also. Now, If I can get her to learn to dig a plug we are in business

Overall between Detectors, Pinpointers, diggers, Gas, Publications, etc. Well over 3000.00 and only 2 years into the hobby and worth every penny.

Greg
    Equipment: Whites XLT, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Propointer.
    Oldest coin: 1760's Chinese coin
    Favorite Find: 1940's Lone Ranger Badge
    Best question asked while detecting: "Do you find anything good with that Geiger Counter"

After the cost of the detector and coils, I would have to say batteries, research (books, copies at library) and gas are my largest yearly MDing expenses. I put a lot of miles on my SUV detecting. I would say about $1,500 - $2,000 a year.
    V3i DX-1, D2, 6x10, 4x6, Super-12, 10x14DD

"Friends and life changing experiences gained = $PRICELESS$".... Thiltzy think you nailed it. Would you sell me one of those Washington buttons for $5? I will even pay postage.

I'm with Tony -lots of gas $$$ over the years, but well worth the adventure! A healthy body, mind & spirit is worth every penny

On a funny note I haven't sold anything I've dug but when I found my oldest silver dime (semi-key date 1838o seated dime) my hubby (Tom) said "Sell it and put it in the gas tank!" btw he doesn't hunt but is supportive & likes to see what I find...

JMO but there will indeed be a time when the novelty of finding something and looking at it wears off.... And who knows what tomorrow will bring. As you age you will understand even more.

JMO but there will indeed be a time when the novelty of finding something and looking at it wears off.... And who knows what tomorrow will bring. As you age you will understand even more.

' Life goes on even after the thrill of living is gone ' from the song Jack and Dianne by John Mellencamp .

......and who knows what tomorrow will bring ........ As I am aging I am understanding how much I don't understand and I can't understand why I'm not understanding more . Hell Dick , I think I'm going to go out and try to find a dang wheatie .

JMO but there will indeed be a time when the novelty of finding something and looking at it wears off....
    I could see when important events/family would take precedence in ones life for a time but as far as "novelty" of finding/cherishing a coin , relic or piece of jewelry wears off , I really hope your wrong or that its just in your case Mr. Stout.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That's the great thing about this hobby. I've bought every detector after my first $75 Bounty Hunter with my finds. I have progressed over time to the Ace 250...Then to a used White's DFX for $600... Then to a new Etrac... and now to a CTX 3030! I've sold some gold and silver and traded along the way to get what I want. Aside from gas money and time... I've invested not much monetarily, but what I have spent has been worth every penny!!!
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

Clad alone has paid for every detector I own plus.

I'm somewhere close to $2,000 right now.