Thread: why a minelab?

Blog Entries

why a minelab?

The soil here in holland is verry differend then the soil in america.
    Is it thats why the most detectorists in america use a minelab?
    Most detectorist here use xp.

Willems , i'd say the the detector usage here is pretty diverse and not just to one brand type.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'd agree with Del. A very diverse use of detectors with Whites, Minelab & Garrett leading the way as most popular. IMO.

Personally I've always used Whites for 25 years now and they really seem to do what I need here in Michigan.

Blog Entries
    Yes i know what you guys mean but i see a lot of minelab users in america and garret.
    Is that because the dealers?
    Here we have a lot of detectorists hunting with xp,c scope and nokta etc
    On the dutch site a lot have the xp deus. Here almost nobody.

Marketing always has a lot to do with it. But we have a lot of choices and after a while you find a brand that you feel good about. I have used mostly Whites and Minelab, but have tried others. I chose Minelab because it worked for my type of relic hunting. It is true that in some parts of America the soil is so bad that only a very few machines can work at all. I think if I someone found something good with a $39.00 machine, they would tell everyone how wonderful it is
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Blog Entries
    Yea your right.
    Marketing is also here.
    But the detectorist here that hunting for years chose minelab e-track ctx 3030 or the Deus.

I think that dealer networks play a huge part in it. Here in the States there are very few XP, Blisstool, Nokta, or any European made detector dealers, making repair/warranty issues a genuine concern. If I have something go wrong with a Fisher, Whites, Garrett, Minelab, or Technetiks machnine, I can send it in and be assured that I'll have it back in a couple of weeks, whereas with one of the EU units just the shipping can take that long.
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

I've been metal detecting for close to 35 years. I've used many metal detectors over that time, mostly Whites. I bought a CTX 3030 in the spring and I've found more, deeper coins this year than in the last 35. More large cents and colonial coins than in all 35 years put together. Found my first 2 Real, first Seated Half Dollar, firsts in a number of different areas of colonials and more. Whites makes a good, solid, dependable machine, but they just don't seem to go as deep as a Minelab. I've also found coins in the same hole underneath a piece of iron. I don't think that would have happened with any other metal detector. My advice to all is to NOT buy a Minelab. It will leave more for me to find

Blog Entries
    Haha no sorry i have the deus.
    Better. Faster recovery speed and not so heavy.

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    42 years Garrett only but getting a tad upset with my Pro...3 times back to the factory ...all same repairs. What ever machine you can become one with.is the right one for you!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

I have both a Whites XLT and a Minelab CTX3030. I have found that the Minelab is better in trashy situations and being waterproof is a plus. The XLT is obviously an older machine but still deadly in the field. The FE-CO numbers took a little while to understand but I have gotten pretty good at identifying targets by the numbers.

Greg
    Equipment: Whites XLT, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Propointer.
    Oldest coin: 1760's Chinese coin
    Favorite Find: 1940's Lone Ranger Badge
    Best question asked while detecting: "Do you find anything good with that Geiger Counter"

I guess it is a matter of pragmatism for me, I started with an Ace 250 found a silver coin with it and a couple of gold rings so it paid for itself. My friend though had an E-Trac and he was finding a lot of stuff that I wanted to find, we were at an old school site and he had found a silver dime and several wheats and I had not found anything, I asked him to check a signal I had he did and said "Dig that wheatie!" And I did and he was right. He then let me use his E-Trac and I found a couple more wheats in the same area I had just hit with the Ace. So I got an E-Trac and the good finds started coming for me. I just got a CTX for the same reason, I knew a couple of guys and they were finding stuff with it that they had not been able to find before. In three months I have found more old silver than I have ever had before, plus Coppers Indian Heads, Gold ring etc. Just yesterday I went back to that same school site and I dug a 1911 Wheat at over 8" that also had some trash in with it. The CTX was telling me there was a coin there and it was right. Now could I have found the things I have with another brand of high end machine...maybe but like I said the Minelab worked for me and I will keep using it.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I'm in Germany and swing a Garrett AT PRO. I decided on the AT PRO because of it's land and water capabilities.
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

Candidate Member
    That is a question no one can answer for you. The best answer would be to find a club or join a European metal detecting forum. Any one of these two, you will find your answer. Do not ask someone in the U.S. because no one will know the answer...

well mate , i have a fisher f4 and before that a humble whites coin master and i have found about the same amount with both.
    the friends i detect with , chrisinct = v3i and bamart = E-Trac will testify i find as much as thay do if not more !!.
    basicly what im saying is, its ether luck (which i think it is with me)or the skill you have with your machine.