Thread: Pres. Campaign Medallion and Large Cent Pocket Spill at snowy cellar hole hunt

Threaded View

Pres. Campaign Medallion and Large Cent Pocket Spill at snowy cellar hole hunt

I was itching to get some swinging in so Dave and I decided to hit some holes in the snow on Saturday. It was a very wet and muddy hunt but I am very glad we got out yesterday as we both had great hunts. According to our research, we expected to be hunting one cellar hole however, to our surprise there were 3 cellar holes in this area that we hiked to . With a lot of ground to cover I decided to concentrate in a small penned in area in back of one the holes. Immediately I started pulling a few buttons, a bunch of toe taps and brass scrap. A pretty, silver applied complete rossette was my next keeper. Then I got a deep target that sounded like big iron with a high tone mixed in. I decided to dig and about a foot down I pulled out a big square piece of flat iron. I rescanned the hole and was now getting a beautiful coin signal...my first copper of the day which was an 1826 Matron. Like clock work, Dave comes over and tries to infringe on my area, the copper whore that he is so I kicked him out of the penned in area I was hunting

Little while later right in front of the entrance into this pen I got a very low VDI reading of only 8. Vdi 8 is usually small foil but I wasn't pulling any modern trash here so I dug and out came a gold gilt medallion of Henry Clay. It might be from one of his presidential campaigns and is probably from the 1840's. I found some similar ones on the internet but yet to find an exact match.
    Next up was a 3 large cent copper pocket spill a few feet over from where Dave got his spill. They were all Matrons dated 1816, 1817, and 1828 and coppers 59, 60, and 61 on the year.
    Dark was setting in so after a few more swings I got a sweet 85 VDI signal and out came a shoe buckle minus the tongue. A great hunt for both of us which deserves another trip back in the near future.
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee