Thread: Pres. Campaign Medallion and Large Cent Pocket Spill at snowy cellar hole hunt

Pres. Campaign Medallion and Large Cent Pocket Spill at snowy cellar hole hunt

I was itching to get some swinging in so Dave and I decided to hit some holes in the snow on Saturday. It was a very wet and muddy hunt but I am very glad we got out yesterday as we both had great hunts. According to our research, we expected to be hunting one cellar hole however, to our surprise there were 3 cellar holes in this area that we hiked to . With a lot of ground to cover I decided to concentrate in a small penned in area in back of one the holes. Immediately I started pulling a few buttons, a bunch of toe taps and brass scrap. A pretty, silver applied complete rossette was my next keeper. Then I got a deep target that sounded like big iron with a high tone mixed in. I decided to dig and about a foot down I pulled out a big square piece of flat iron. I rescanned the hole and was now getting a beautiful coin signal...my first copper of the day which was an 1826 Matron. Like clock work, Dave comes over and tries to infringe on my area, the copper whore that he is so I kicked him out of the penned in area I was hunting

Little while later right in front of the entrance into this pen I got a very low VDI reading of only 8. Vdi 8 is usually small foil but I wasn't pulling any modern trash here so I dug and out came a gold gilt medallion of Henry Clay. It might be from one of his presidential campaigns and is probably from the 1840's. I found some similar ones on the internet but yet to find an exact match.
    Next up was a 3 large cent copper pocket spill a few feet over from where Dave got his spill. They were all Matrons dated 1816, 1817, and 1828 and coppers 59, 60, and 61 on the year.
    Dark was setting in so after a few more swings I got a sweet 85 VDI signal and out came a shoe buckle minus the tongue. A great hunt for both of us which deserves another trip back in the near future.
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

great hunt Todd congrats on the campaign medal and copper spill
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow, I wish we had spots like that here in Illinois.
    Congrats on the great finds
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That Clay button is a nice find You don't get a copper spill every day either. That was a great hunt !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

notice i didn't kick him outta my spill area? he's sooo mean to me I swear! sweet hunt Todd.Told ya i had a good feeling about this site! Lookin forward to getting back there!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

I hunted with a guy once that wouldn't announce he found anything until the end of the hunt. I thought he was getting skunked, then he pulled out a pocket full of keepers. Maybe you want to try that with the "coin shark." Most of my partners, and myself, bellow through the woods when we find anything. On good days you can hear multiple "coppa" shouts.
    That Henry Clay medal is quite a find....and a large crotal too. Any cracks? Amazing hunt Todd.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Veteran Member
    Congrats on the great finds and will there be a video? The things you guys dig up are incredible. Be safe and HH

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    notice i didn't kick him outta my spill area? !
    I was gonna say the same thing
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    great hunt Todd congrats on the campaign medal and copper spill
    Thanks Danny, prior to this hunt my only copper spill was a 2 King George spill.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I hunted with a guy once that wouldn't announce he found anything until the end of the hunt. I thought he was getting skunked, then he pulled out a pocket full of keepers. Maybe you want to try that with the "coin shark." Most of my partners, and myself, bellow through the woods when we find anything. On good days you can hear multiple "coppa" shouts.
    That Henry Clay medal is quite a find....and a large crotal too. Any cracks? Amazing hunt Todd.
    Thanks Drew, the crotal bell is missing a piece, it has a hole in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timewarpdigger View Post
    Congrats on the great finds and will there be a video? The things you guys dig up are incredible. Be safe and HH
    Thanks and yes I did take video.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I was gonna say the same thing
    The ironic thing about me getting a spill near Dave was that after he pulled the 1st two coppers, I was heading back to my back pack to eat something and then he calls me back to listen for more targets in his hole. That's when I started swinging around that area as I was waiting for him to dig the rest of the coppers out of the hole. When I said "hey Dave I got a coin signal " he looked at me like he wanted to kill me.

Very impressive hunt Todd, don't you wish they all were like that.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Man what a hunt you and Dave had Todd! Nothing like Copper spills to make a day and the Clay medal is just so ...so ....so well I guess I don't have a word to describe how great I think that is Can't wait to see the video...and to think I was happy to find a 1911 Wheatie yesterday

Thanks for posting and Merry Christmas!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

WTG Todd! Those are some great finds. I love the gilt highlights on the Clay button. I bet that was one mucky hunt.

Last edited by The Rebel; 12-23-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice digs!!!