Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Should You Have Found By Now?

I didn't read the zillion replies to this thread, so here's my opinion on "what you should have found" by now...

You should have a couple of coffee cans full of Zincolns... enough to weigh down your tent in a hurricane. Why? If you're skipping Zincolns, you're passing up a lot of good stuff because you're lazy.

You should have at least five hundred nickels too. Why? Because that's where the middle-carat rings are located. If you pass up nickel "hits", you're missing a lot of neat finds. (Just about every class ring in the world "rang up" in the nickel range.)

You should have a reasonable number of Wheaties, and should know exactly where you found them. Why? Where you find Wheaties, there is silver. Go back and get busy.

You should have dug enough aluminum pull-tabs to build a jetliner. Why? Cause that's where the tiny diamond rings (with gold settings) are located.

Finally, the best advice I've ever been given is in regard to low VDI readings on a White's machine. "If it's a solid 8... dig it." Those low, positive readings (below pull-tabs) are almost always high carat-weight gold. It rarely fails. Those readings are often overlooked because they are so close to iron (negative VDI's) that the detectorist ignores them. Don't.
    Last edited by Lowjiber; 12-23-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

That's good advice if I'm at a house I dig all mid tones and up no matter what have found some cool relics I'm also in search of them old nickles I've found Buffs no V or Shield yet but gotta keep trying
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Yep, at most cellar holes I dig every repeatable non-ferrous. Tombacs and gold are very low (like I dig a lot of gold )
    Sometimes I dig iron at very old sites.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I started a little over 7 months ago...mainly hunting two public places that were "built" in the late 1920's early 1930's.

Both have been hit before I got started I'm sure but...
    Coins we've found there,,,1848 Seated dime....a couple Merc and Rosie dimes...1 SLQ ...a couple GW quarters...war nickels...buffalo nickels...older Jeffersons...wheaties.
    rings galore incl. gold and silver and platinum.
    Tokens from a hotel from the '20's
    Foriegn coins...modern and older issues
    French military medal (don't ask me how it came to be in south Louisiana...lol)

I realize the site's probably don't have the "age" for them to be plentiful but an IH penny is about the only coin that we haven't found there

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Just a week to go....I hope everyone has found their elusive item. Al, still no draped? You only dig colonial coins
    How old ARE you mownomo?
    An indian would be reasonable in Ohio...right Nesdore?...wait...your signature says you found 19 this year!!??
    I'm only 72, but feel like a large cent, corroded and lost in the dirt.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

I've been blessed with finding some good finds, but these sorta simple finds have eluded me so far
    shield nickel
    brass toe tap
    complete shoe buckle
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Got several coins from the mid to 1800s, but never found any Barbers yet. (Been detecting only 2 yrs). Strange as I hit the older cellar holes quite frequently. I'm keeping positive though, this year is the year!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Only thing I have not dug in 44 years atthis great hobby is a 20 cent piece...only out a year or 2 here.
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

I hope this is the year for you guys to find those things
    ...Les, I didn't know there was a $20 cent piece
    I guess the 1875 would be the only one we could hope for... with a mintage of just over a million.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I have found a seated quarter and a barber quarter but never a SLQ...that one is at the top of my list.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Candidate Member
    I have found lots of rings (silver and gold) but never a diamond.
    Delbert (Central Okla)
    Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlas Silent Search, Fisher Pinpointer, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer.

Oldest Coin 1863 Seated Liberty Dime.

In the last year or two I've found a seated half dime, seated dimes, seated quarters and a seated half. Have also found close to 50 large cents and more than 20 colonials. Also found 8 pieces of Spanish silver including half, one and two reals. I'd really like to find some bust silver, a half cent and one of those early fat large cents from 93-94. I've found everything around these pieces, just haven't managed to swing the coil over one of these. Of course who wouldn't want to find any US gold coin, myself included.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter