Thread: Token with thick green corrosion

Token with thick green corrosion

Before u use this method ya wanna make sure that the surface of the coin or token is intact for the most part, This method is harsh and can completely destroy the item your trying to clean. This is how I remove thick corrosion from coins. Soak in white vinegar brush with soft bristle brush until corrosion is removed, Then neutralize the acid left on the coin with backing soda and water. Then let dry and coat with coin care. Hope this helps. Name:  P1040415.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  62.2 KBName:  P1040417.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  46.4 KB

Coop, about how long do you let it soak in white vinegar?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Coop, about how long do you let it soak in white vinegar?
    As long as it takes to remove the corrosion, Or until your happy with how it looks.

Ave Coop,

Nice...but it actually looked better with the patina intact- shows the age of the piece, ya know? Just my two cents...

Best regards,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Mayadigger View Post
    Ave Coop,

Nice...but it actually looked better with the patina intact- shows the age of the piece, ya know? Just my two cents...

Best regards,

Kevin
    That is corrosion and it made the token look like crap in my opinion.

Ave!

No problem, bro', it's your find, after all. ;-)

Best,

Kevin

Thanks for the tip! I've dug Indian head pennies and Large Cents with stuff on it. Maybe I'll try to clean one of the worst ones as a test. It can't hurt. I assume that you start brushing at it short after you place the coin in the vinegar. You don't let it sit for a period of time first, do you?
    XP Deus and MineLab Excalibur

Oldest Coin: 1773 George III Copper

Oldest US Coin: 1798 Draped Bust Large Cent

Oldest Silver: 1790 Carolus IV ½ Reale

Oldest US Silver: 1857 Seated Liberty Half Dime

That's basically how I do it a little bit at a time