Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E trak cheat sheet

E trak cheat sheet

Hello all. I am new to the E trak and was wondering if there is a cheat sheet for quick reference of the fe co numbers. Just a simple list of what one might expect to find within certain ranges.

Thanks
    Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

When you find one, let me know. I'm getting an E trac with a sunray target probe tomorrow.
    I've never used one. Going to be an interesting spring.
    Good luck with yours.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Will do Don. I hope you like it. What inspired you to upgrade?
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

The ground is frozen here and I got bored.

Silver 4

seriously, I've been wanting one for a while. A friend of mine has one and loves it.
    I figure that my 13 year old son can help me understand all the different functions.
    Plus, I'm hoping that maybe now I can get just a little deeper. It should be fun as long as I don't go crazy trying to learn it.

Silver 4

Congrats on getting an E-Trac!

Here are some target ID numbers to look for on the E-Trac. The first number is the ferrous number and the second number is conductivity. Keep in mind that these numbers may vary slightly in actual field conditions depending on your soil, target depth, nearby junk, etc.

US Coins E-Trac
    Target Ferrous Conductivity
    US Bust Half Cent 12 38-42
    US Classic Head Half Cent 12 40-42
    US Flowing Hair Large Cent 12 46
    US Bust Large Cent 12 46
    US Classic Head Large Cent 12 46
    US Coronet head Large cent 11 46
    US Braided hair large cent 11 47
    US Flying Eagle cent 12 20-24
    US Fatty indian head cent 12 22-23
    US Bronze indian head cent 12 34-35
    US Wheat Cent 12 40-42
    US Memorial cent bronze 12 43-44
    US Memorial cent Zinc 12 37
    US Two-Cent Piece 12 40
    US Three cent silver 12 28-32
    US Three Cent Nickel 12 04-05
    US Shield Nickel 12 12-13
    US V Nickel 12 13-14
    US Buffalo Nickel 12 13-14
    US War Nickel 12 14-15
    US Jefferson Nickel 12 13-14
    US Half Dime 12 34-39
    US Bust Dime 12 43
    US Seated Dime 13 45-46
    US Barber Dime 13 45-46
    US Mercury Dime 12- 44-46
    US Roosevelt Dime 13 46
    US Clad dime 12 44
    US Seated quarter 12 46
    US Barber quarter 12 47
    US Standing Liberty quarter 12 47
    US Washington silver quarter 11 47
    US Clad quarter 12 47
    US Seated half 11 46
    US Barber Half 10-11 46
    US Walking Liberty Half 11 44-46
    US Clad Half 12 47
    US Morgan Dollar 01 40-41
    US Peace Dollar 01 40-41
    US Gold 1 dollar 11-12 11
    US Gold 2.5 dollar 12 22
    US Gold 5 dollar 12 31
    US Gold 10 dollar 12 38
    US Gold 20 dollar 13 44

Junk Targets E-Trac
    Ferrous Conductivity
    Round pulltab whole med 12 23
    Round pulltab whole large 12 25
    Round pulltab - tab only 12 11
    Round pulltab with no tab 12 26
    Square pulltab new type soda can 12 18
    Square pulltab large 12 27
    Aluminum screw cap 12 38
    Crown cap steel 12-13
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 01-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.

I'm sure you are going to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    seriously, I've been wanting one for a while. A friend of mine has one and loves it.
    I figure that my 13 year old son can help me understand all the different functions.
    Plus, I'm hoping that maybe now I can get just a little deeper. It should be fun as long as I don't go crazy trying to learn it.

Thanks Tony. I am assuming that jewelry will be scattered from very low on the co to mid range.

Ron

Jewelry can ring up pretty much anywhere, depending on its size and type of metal. Most gold rings ring up low like a nickel, smaller ones ring up lower, larger ones ring up higher. Silver jewelry often rings up higher like a silver coin.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks Tony. How long did it take you to feel comfortable with the E Trac
    ALSO, DO YOU GIVE LESSONS ? JUST KIDDING

Silver 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Jewelry can ring up pretty much anywhere, depending on its size and type of metal. Most gold rings ring up low like a nickel, smaller ones ring up lower, larger ones ring up higher. Silver jewelry often rings up higher like a silver coin.
    Sounds very similar to my VX3 but I have a new set of numbers to learn. Since the VX3 goes up to 95 for VDI, I should be close if I multiply the E trak number by 2 to get to a number that I am familiar with until I learn the new language.

Thanks

Ron

I felt comfortable with it right away, and I did OK with it the first time I used it. I just turned it on and used the stock "Coins" mode.

Here is my original post from my first real hunt with my E-Trac in 2011:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...ars&highlight=
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    Sounds very similar to my VX3 but I have a new set of numbers to learn. Since the VX3 goes up to 95 for VDI, I should be close if I multiply the E trak number by 2 to get to a number that I am familiar with until I learn the new language.

Thanks

Ron
    Yes, if you just multiply the conductive number on the E-Trac times two it will get you close to the VX3 numbers. To be honest, I think most people only pay attention to the second number on the E-Trac (the conductive number).
    Lifetime totals:

Thanks again Tony,
    I just read your post. It does ease my mind a little. I can't wait to get back out there with the new machine. My son is Happy also,
    he gets the AT Pro. It's going to be a fun year.

Silver 4

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Thanks again Tony,
    I just read your post. It does ease my mind a little. I can't wait to get back out there with the new machine. My son is Happy also,
    he gets the AT Pro. It's going to be a fun year.
    I'll bet you are BOTH excited. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    I'll bet you are BOTH excited. Good luck
    Thanks Ron, Good luck with yours also. Looking forward to seeing your finds

Silver 4

It would definitely help if you decided on what you are hunting for. If you are doing parks, then it is a coin pattern running multi conductive. If you are hunting foundations, then two tone ferrous is what I recommend. If you are doing old standing houses, then it is both of them (2 passes, 1 each). Plus there are discrimination patterns to consider. But if you want to just hunt, use the stock coin program. It is multi tone with a lot of iron discrimination.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    It would definitely help if you decided on what you are hunting for. If you are doing parks, then it is a coin pattern running multi conductive. If you are hunting foundations, then two tone ferrous is what I recommend. If you are doing old standing houses, then it is both of them (2 passes, 1 each). Plus there are discrimination patterns to consider. But if you want to just hunt, use the stock coin program. It is multi tone with a lot of iron discrimination.
    Thanks Coinnut. I normally hunt coin and jewelry in a variety of location types. At this point I am planning on running the stock coin and jewelry at our local fairgrounds and digging most if not all targets until adjust to the sounds. From there I will start making adjustments and learning the more advanced features. This was how I learned the VX3 and it worked out pretty well.

Ron

Ron here is an article I wrote a few years ago for "Ohio Metal Detecting Magazine", in it I try to explain my learning of the E-Trac and my experiences with it. Do not get frustrated and do not over estimate the difficulty. Dig a lot of targets and learn from them. I hope this may help.

Learning Curve And The E-Trac

When I first started thinking about getting an E-Trac I read many articles and postings bewailing the steep learning curve on this machine. While I am not the most technologically advanced person neither am I a Luddite when it comes to the challenge of new things. My first experience with metal detecting came with an Ace 250, I was like so many others who think that they may enjoy metal detecting but do not want to sink a large sum in a machine until they know that metal detecting was something they wanted to pursue. I looked around websites and forums and decided the Ace was a machine that would give me the chance to find some good things, was simpler to use than many others and was in the price range I first envisioned.

I stumbled across the Dayton Diggers website and I shot an e-mail to Steve Green outlining my thoughts and he concurred that it would be a good machine to start with. Like so many others my first hunts yielded mostly junk, but I persevered and after about two weeks I found my first coin and then my first wheatie, I was thrilled. After three months Steve took me to a site and there I found my first silver coin, a very nice 1930 Merc….and I was hooked. I knew that I wanted to upgrade to a more advanced machine. After reading many posts and viewing so many videos I knew I would like an E-Trac. But hearing about all the ferrous and conductivity numbers, listening to tones, iffy signals I was having some reservations.

I was used to the Ace layout, if your target was a dime it beeped in a bell tone and the readout shown a dime. I understood that such readouts are subjective it doesn’t really matter if it shows a dime or gives a number of 12-45 they both are telling you the same thing, I understood that. I was getting much better with my Ace, learning pinpointing techniques and knowing how the signal jumped that it was telling me it was a zinc penny or a copper penny. I was comfortable with using it…but it was not enough, I wanted to find older coins, deeper coins and more silver coins. I had just about made up my mind but had not ordered the E-Trac when I went out on a hunt with my friend Doug Schilling. Doug has an E-Trac and is proficient in its usage, I had taken him to an old school site and he was picking out wheaties with regularity while I had only found one with my Ace. The wheatie I found was a real iffy signal for me and the Ace I asked Doug to check the signal with the E-Trac and he did, he then said “you better dig that one, I am sure it is a wheatie” and of course he was right. That convinced me then and there, where I was barely getting a sketchy signal he was able to convincingly tell me what it was.

He shortly dug a silver Rosey and then said “use my E-Trac and see what you can do with it” after a short lesson I quickly found a couple of more wheaties on my own. That was all it took for very soon after that I ordered my E-Trac. While waiting for it to come in I downloaded the manual and studied it thoroughly for the next several weeks. Also I had been watching many you-tube videos and Mike Haer’s instructional videos on it as well. I got my detector delivered to me at the Dayton Diggers picnic at Armco Park, Mike gave me some tips and we waited out the rain that fell that morning. It stopped after lunch and I got to try it for the first time. The first target I got gave me the numbers 12-38 and I thought to myself that should be a zinc penny and it was! I dug some more clad but I had a good idea of what it was going to be because of all that I had read and seen on the videos.

It took almost three weeks before I dug my first silver, a Rosey, Doug and I were at a site that had an old house on it, he got a silver quarter and two silver dimes that day but I was feeling good because I had got a silver in just three weeks with the E-Trac when it had taken me several months to find my first and only one with the Ace that first year. I was still going by the “numbers” at that point even after a week later at the same site I found a Rosey and a Merc. I was starting to understand the tones by now. I had spent much time picking Nick Arnold’s brain and Terry Barnhart, pestering them with questions and asking advice, they were always gracious and quite helpful. My friend Doug was always there when I needed his help, he would occasionally check one of my signals and ask me what I thought it was and often he would confirm what I thought or tell me that he thought it was junk…but I should dig it to confirm what he said, invariably he was right.

We had been going to the “Old Park” quite often on Tuesday afternoons and Doug as usual was scoring silver on a regular basis and I always marveled when he would tell me to bring the camera over because he would say “lets do a full dig on this one, I think it’s a keeper” most often he was correct and I would marvel how he could tell with such certainty. Then one Tuesday we met at the park and I was a few minutes late as I walked over to him he was digging up a silver Rosey, I told him I am going to get one today too. About 15 minutes later I got a signal and for the first time I seem to understand more than what the numbers were telling me. The numbers were ok, the depth of 5” was promising but more than that it was the tone…it just sounded different in my ears, I am sure it was the same tone that I had heard before but had not really understood it until now. I told Doug “I got my silver dime here” he came over and watched me dig it and I think he was happier than I was to see that silver Rosey!

We continued to hunt finding some wheaties and just as we were heading to the car while darkness was falling I got that tone again the numbers were not quite as good, more jumpy but while not quite as strong the tone said dig me. At about 6” and on edge was my second silver Rosey of the day. It was like a light going on, the E-Trac is not just dig by the numbers machine, and I think it would be simplistic to say go solely by the tone as well. It is a combination of those, but the tone should trump numbers most of the time. I started to have more confidence in the fact that now I am starting to understand the E-Trac experience. Later at the “Old Park” again I got an “iffy” type signal jumpy numbers and only a short high tone but it did repeat on two different angles and I dug a nice Mercury dime that was on edge at about 6”. The next targets were a couple of wheats at about 6” down in fill dirt and then I got a very jumpy signal near an old tree stump, the numbers were jumping around but still I would get a spot that the tone said I should dig it. I dug my plug and I found a silvery looking piece of metal that had Hong Kong on it, a piece of foil and a rusted bottle cap. But in the bottom of the hole I could see that silver disc, and I could see the words “One Dime” it was a very sweet looking Barber dime dated 1912.

I think that was the turning point for me. On New Years Eve I went back to the old school where Doug had first let me use his E-Trac this time I was on my own but I felt, no stronger than that, I knew I was going to strike silver. Of course that may have been bravado on my part but I felt if it’s there I am going to find it. I did, a 1916 Merc and a little later I was thinking I haven’t found a nickel for awhile, when I got that good tone and a 12-12 reading that said nickel to my way of thinking, at 5” I thought, I have never found a Buffalo before this would be a good time for it and a nice 1936 Buffalo was my reward. On New Years Day I went back to the old school again with that same feeling and the very first target I dug was a 1961 Rosey. Do I have the E-Trac mastered, no not by a long shot but I do think I am beginning the beginning of my knowledge, much more to learn, much more to experience much more fun to have.

There is no “secret” to learning the E-Trac, no magical program that will have the silver jumping out of the ground; it takes study, by reading much material, watching videos, especially ones where you hear the sounds and can see or are told the numbers, asking many questions from those who are much more knowledgeable and by going out and hunt, hunt, hunt.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Thanks Bell-Two. That is a well written and encouraging piece, it brings back memories of when I started to become confident with my VX3. After few months of swinging it I watched as my good finds to trash ratio climbed. I was able to use the different tools to determine when to dig or not and although I still dug most of the time, quite often I was correct in my predictions.
    The E Trak learning curve doesn't scare me. I have been through the menus and most things seem pretty straight forward but it will take me a while to become comfortable. My biggest concern is staying proficient with the V machine. They are two different animals. I'm hoping to drag my wife into the hobby and will have to teach her to use the V plus help her in the field so that means keeping up to date with that machine while learning the E trak.

Ron