Thread: Peso Pirate of Puerto Plata 2014

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

Peso Pirate of Puerto Plata 2014

Having been to Puerto Plata on six previous visits my expectations were not very high. The Barcelo lived "UP' to that as it took 3 hours of sitting in the lobby to get a room.
    Once in the room it was a mad dash to assemble the carefully packed AT Pro and plunder the beach which was infested with locals enjoying the surf.

Dodging the beach goers the Pro was picking up peso after peso. Wasn't long before the heat hit me full force and I noticed that I was slightly toasted. Called it a day heading back to the room to help Marie unpack. Later we headed down to the buffet and were appalled as the locals were as rude and ignorant as a pack of hyena on a carcass around the food. Mind you that evening a plane load of grads from three Nova Scotia universities (Acadia, Mount Saint Vincent and St. Francis Xavier) converged on the resort. Their behaviour made me ashamed that I was a Canadian and a Bluenoser.
    Next day with a bravado fueled by unlimited alcohol I tackled the water with the Seahunter MK11. Conditions where ideal with a calm sea and low tide. Finds were.........nil. The reason being was a local with a water machine who appeared every other day at the beach. Well no one ever gets it all.
    Took the next day off from detecting and Marie and I ventured into Puerto Plata City via local transport to do some shopping.

Marie had a grand time shopping visiting all the stores the city had to offer while I did my pilgrimage to the local post office and picked up a very nice selection of stamps and sovereign sheets to add to my collection. Was sort of neat to see the adaptation of cardboard used by the local tradesmen to stay in the shade.

Only in the Dominican! On the way back to the resort we observed another Dominican putting cardboard to use...........wearing nothing but his cardboard and a smile!

That evening after another onslaught at the buffet we strolled the beach taking in the view.

Another day. Another day! This time I headed down towards the Orange Market with scoop and Pro in hand. Then it happened. Attacked!

Of course the shark must have thought that this detectorist tasted like a comedian and spat me out as I tasted funny. I did not go away unscathed . About a half hour later as I was swinging the unthinkable happened......my Pro completely broke off at the two shaft mounts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having already sent my Pro back to Garrett on three previous occasions this will be a real challenge for them...............customer service? Undaunted I thread a nylon string below the headphone and the coil connector and was now the proud owner of the only hip mounted Pro. After this incident I used only the Seahunter MK2 which could be used on the beach, wet sand and water with no ground balancing issues.
    Another evenings entertainment watching the lively house band, the Dominicans salsa dancing and the college grads puking. Mind you the next day the water around the pool bar where the Bluenosers were entrenched took on the colour of recycled beer.......Marie and I took to the ocean for the remainder of the vacation!
    Week one was coming to an end when we received our only downpour accompanied by thunder and lighting. Marie and I headed out to the balcony and enjoyed the show.

Knowing better than to take a field trip to Sousa beach during the weekend we sort of "stuck" around the resort for the weekend.

Monday we again boarded local transport(this one actually had a floor in it) to Sousa beach.

As per standard operational procedure we first shopped with Marie becoming quite a skilled barterer. Then to the Triple X for a brew.

Finally did the dew on the beach and water with a few pesos and a silver ring being added to the plunder.
    A full day for both of us ending at the Mexican restaurant with Marie looking as radiant as the sunrise!

Little did we know what the previous nights dinning experience had in store for us! Marie became Dominican royalty taking up a semi permanent position on the throne as I became a musician;
    I'm a Dominican rapper
    When I'm not on the crapper.
    I get the bends in my bowel
    That want to make me howl.
    I pull the long white line
    Wiping my behind!
    Of course my constant companion while "working" was some great reads courtesy of my good friend Jim K of the UK (a.ka. Special K). A God send for sure.

Next day it was off to once again tackle land and water as Marie mingled with...................Bill Clinton?

As I was mindlessly swinging in the wet sand a couple from New Brunswickers approached me. Apparently he had lost his wedding band and asked if I could take a look. "No problemo" and within 15 minutes one miraculously appeared in my sieve. He offered me a $50 reward to which I responded that a few cerveza would be great reward as I was parched. Didn't have a camera with me that day but on the next trip down the beach did get a nice shot of the Herring Chokers as we maritimers call the folks from New Brunswick. Notice his ring finger!

Before supper Marie and I did the resorts front nine...mini golf. Not a caddie was in sight save for a 4 legged brown and orange one! Maire kicked my butt.
    Thank the Lord that the vacation was coming to an end. Nice to go and nice to come home. As for a return of the Peso Pirate to Peurto Plata that is off the plate as we are considering a new destination for our next excursion.
    Finds for this trip included one gold ring (returned) 3 silver and a slew of pesos that I spent to buy a few gifts.

From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Elite Member
    You seem like you're a riot to hang with!!! Cheers and good luck!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

All vacations have the good with the bad. It's the smart ones that can tell the difference. Any thoughts on your next location?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album