Thread: OS

OS

Has anyone else been checking out what Linux has to offer lately, it's remarkable stuff these day's. I just recently setup my computer for dual booting either in Windows or Linux and it is really nice. The reason I did this is recently my windows operating system got messed up bad due to malware and viruses (even though I run avast antivirus) and the new linux systems are remarkable and free. The most recent one is Mint 16 Petra 64bit and is really a very nice, fast and pretty much impervious to viruses. I don't know if I will completely abandon Microsoft but in my opinion the new Linux operating systems flat out will smoke them and they're free to boot. The biggest downfall is learning about all the software for them which is mostly free.

The really neat thing about when you make one of the bootable dvd's from any of their operating systems is you can surf the internet with them without even writing anything to your hard drive.

My son uses only Linux. He's a computer engineering major at UC Berkeley and a great programmer. He is constantly trying to get me to give up Windows. The main problem I have with it is that I need to run certain programs for work that aren't compatible.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    My son uses only Linux. He's a computer engineering major at UC Berkeley and a great programmer. He is constantly trying to get me to give up Windows. The main problem I have with it is that I need to run certain programs for work that aren't compatible.
    In the newer systems supposedly you can run windows programs from linux with a program called "virtualbox" I have got it installed but still need to learn more about it because I also have some programs that I haven't been able to use in linux YET