Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturday's cellar hole hunt with Dave...not much to see here

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    well for example the one you two hit up above , we were there only the one time but we had Drew and Brandon along so we'll count it as two visits to be fair. so would it be fair for you two to hit a "new" site (to you) twice and then hand it over to us one time and lets see how you two guys did ??
    I have an idea... I will set up a hunt at the the early 1700's farm fields that me and my friend john hunted hard. We got 8 coppers there including Connecticuts, a Vermont, KG's and a farthing. The original farm house is gone but three fields remain. The current house was built in 1810. We can't go near the house but I have permission to hunt the fields. It can be Dan and George vs Todd and Dave
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    I have an idea... I will set up a hunt at the the early 1700's farm fields that me and my friend john hunted hard. We got 8 coppers there including Connecticuts, a Vermont, KG's and a farthing. The original farm house is gone but three fields remain. The current house was built in 1810. We can't go near the house but I have permission to hunt the fields. It can be Dan and George vs Todd and Dave
    sounds good Todd but just to be clear you would have "home field" advantage , meaning you've been there before and would know where the lay of the finds were or hot spots so to speak. This can give you somewhat of an advantage in my opinion , i still like the cellar site challenge better but i will accept your invite . what say you G-man.

Too bad we have a long wait until the snow is gone and the ground thawed.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Really??? You are actually going with that? Let's not talk about the last time I was at one of your hunted out sites
    yeah I remember that after the mountain climb to look for the elusive cellar hole? that we never found.and after you went around the lip i came behind ya and got 2 LC's that ya walked right over? Oh how clearly I remember that!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

sounds good Todd but just to be clear you would have "home field" advantage , meaning you've been there before and would know where the lay of the finds were or hot spots so to speak. This can give you somewhat of an advantage in my opinion , i still like the cellar site challenge better but i will accept your invite . what say you G-man.

Too bad we have a long wait until the snow is gone and the ground thawed.
    There will be no home field advantages, trust me Dan. I will give you all the info I have. I will show you all the coins we found were. Then we will all hunt the same field at a time. I really don't expect any more coins from that field but if you guys do pull some, I will give you much props.

Todd,what have you gotten us into?
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

woo hoo!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Hey guys sounds like a neat challenge...now remember if you ever need to bring up a rookie from the "farm team" (get it ) I am an undrafted free agent...have 'tector will travel!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

well for example the one you two hit up above , we were there only the one time but we had Drew and Brandon along so we'll count it as two visits to be fair. so would it be fair for you two to hit a "new" site (to you) twice and then hand it over to us one time and lets see how you two guys did ??
    Now we're talking. Can't tell everyone here how exciting this trade off would be. Dan and George don't let up on Todd and Dave.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Hey guys sounds like a neat challenge...now remember if you ever need to bring up a rookie from the "farm team" (get it ) I am an undrafted free agent...have 'tector will travel!
    they may need help Tony! contact them!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    yeah I remember that after the mountain climb to look for the elusive cellar hole? that we never found.and after you went around the lip i came behind ya and got 2 LC's that ya walked right over? Oh how clearly I remember that!
    lol When I finally made my way to the cellar hole you came running over. That my friend is how it really happened.

lol When I finally made my way to the cellar hole you came running over. That my friend is how it really happened.
    nope! you made your passes,found your 1/2 cent and moved onto greener pastures.. then i thought to myself...I know that e-trac missed somethin
    Last edited by HEAVYMETALNUT; 02-09-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

I will PAY money to be a spectator at this event. Maybe set up some portable grand stands on the edge of the field with an electronic score board to keep track of team finds. Will need to hire an announcer to give us the play by play action over a loud speaker. I suppose we could bring our own food and beer. Heck, I will bring a grill. Scantily clad cheerleaders for each team would be a nice touch also.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I will PAY money to be a spectator at this event. Maybe set up some portable grand stands on the edge of the field with an electronic score board to keep track of team finds. Will need to hire an announcer to give us the play by play action over a loud speaker. I suppose we could bring our own food and beer. Heck, I will bring a grill. Scantily clad cheerleaders for each team would be a nice touch also.
    I can see it now a big spectacle on ESDN..thats the Exploring, Searching, Detecting Network. Cue the announcer. Ok gang were here at the first annual Dig Off and lets see what is going on...oh oh looks like Dan has got a target let's take a closer look. Yes he is circling the hole and listen to that tone...it's screaming out I think we are going to see something good here. Ok out comes the shovel and look at his technique as he digs his plug, no wasted effort and he quickly pops it up. There he is swinging his coil over the hole...and yes guys it's out of the hole, out of the hole! He bends, he scoops and yes it is in his hand...a Conneticut Copper and it looks like a beauty....whoa it has a scratch...he scratched it with his shovel....oh that is going to cost him points...yes the Massachusetts judge only gave him a 6.5 for that one...oh my well thats happens in big time detecting. We will be right back after a word from our sponsor.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Then we will all hunt the same field at a time. I really don't expect any more coins from that field
    so this will be like one of Jerry Burr's Cash bash hunts , all hype and no finds

To be honest Todd , detecting a hammered to death field doens't sound like much of a challenge , even un-hit fields you can be wandering for hours to get that one or two keepers. Besides cellar holes are your guys specialties so I thought it would be interesting to compare your two experience with ours on a site you two find , again "new " to you two . Then you guys work your magic for two hunts exploiting all the areas with your knowledge and expertise , evaluate the site as a "hit hard" . If you guys want we will do the same to another site and turn it over to you two , then compare report cards. Again I won't refuse an invite to do a field with you two guys but to me its more hit or miss in a field unless theres a house site in . you said this site in this field is known and was exploited or hit pretty well already in which case its hit or miss now. This is one reason why group hunts are held in farm fields as it usually levels the playing field some for a more equal dispersion of finds to be found . that and the room for many detectorists to spread out .

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    they may need help Tony! contact them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Jeff , I like the thought of a cheer section , maybe if we can get this going we'll let our friends here on the forum be the judges of the Victorius .
    Last edited by del; 02-09-2014 at 11:55 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

One rule is no announcing that you found a copper, so the vultures don't come running over I'm requesting a 30 ft radius too, so no one creeps into your zone....manners after all Oh and yes, we need someone to follow Dave around to help him improve his recollection of past events

One rule is no announcing that you found a copper, so the vultures don't come running over I'm requesting a 30 ft radius too, so no one creeps into your zone....manners after all Oh and yes, we need someone to follow Dave around to help him improve his recollection of past events
    the king of lost items tellin me to recollect? ba ha ha ha!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

so this will be like one of Jerry Burr's Cash bash hunts , all hype and no finds

To be honest Todd , detecting a hammered to death field doens't sound like much of a challenge , even un-hit fields you can be wandering for hours to get that one or two keepers. Besides cellar holes are your guys specialties so I thought it would be interesting to compare your two experience with ours on a site you two find , again "new " to you two . Then you guys work your magic for two hunts exploiting all the areas with your knowledge and expertise , evaluate the site as a "hit hard" . If you guys want we will do the same to another site and turn it over to you two , then compare report cards. Again I won't refuse an invite to do a field with you two guys but to me its more hit or miss in a field unless theres a house site in . you said this site in this field is known and was exploited or hit pretty well already in which case its hit or miss now. This is one reason why group hunts are held in farm fields as it usually levels the playing field some for a more equal dispersion of finds to be found . that and the room for many detectorists to spread out .

Jeff , I like the thought of a cheer section , maybe if we can get this going we'll let our friends here on the forum be the judges of the Victorius .
    I agree with Dan, cellar holes is all four of our specialty. Even though you guys have 20-30yrs experience on me,. I accept that challenge. I will converse with Dave and we will give up a site that we both hunted. This sounds like fun looking forward to it. What do you say Dave...you in?

Elite Member

I think BOTH teams have to hit a new spot, then turn it over to the other team. That only makes it fair.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I agree with Dan, cellar holes is all four of our specialty. Even though you guys have 20-30yrs experience on me,. I accept that challenge. I will converse with Dave and we will give up a site that we both hunted. This sounds like fun looking forward to it. What do you say Dave...you in?
    I like the field thought but,I guess we'll have to settle on the cellar hole option.I bet there are a few more coppers in that field though and to hunt the other fields that haven't been hunted has me droolin
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers