Thread: In the Seated Club Finale

In the Seated Club Finale

Hi All I haven't posted sense the weathers been to cold to hunt I have been out A couple times found some goodies but today was the best day of my hunting life I finale found A Seated Coin A Dime at that Its A 1854O Went out tonight with A Friend Hunting Buddy for 30 years Terry to are City Park and found this beauty I think the oldest coin from are park to date Terry found one a few years ago A 18810 Heres A Pic of the front and back of my coin something hit the front of it at some time and I did Knick the back A little with my digger but thats OK I'm still stoked and HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Thanks for looking HH
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Remember Think Old and Gold

WTG on the SWEET Seated!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Fantastic find!

I love those older seated dimes, especially the ones with the arrows at the date and the mint mark inside the wreath on the reverse. I've never found one that old, my oldest is 1857.

Congrats on the wonderful find!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That's a good find! But I would have that one checked out. The detail looks a little off and I think it might be counterfeit (I'm a coin dealer) No big deal even if it is. Some of the counterfeit seated dimes actually worth more.

Hey jdscoins SAY WHAT? I Don't Know how long you have been A coin dealer or been Detecting but I have seen allot of old coins come out of the ground and there shape and looks are all different and I can tell you its Real no Doubt about it some how I'm glad I don't have to come to you and have my coins checked out let you know right now one thing I cant stand is someone putting in there two cents and not knowing for sure what there commenting on but thanks for your Reply you got to find more older coins so you can really figure out the fake from the real people bringing coins to you is your expertise when there not fresh digs but from what I see Detected coins give you problems telling rather there fake or real Have A Great year PS I'm not Mad Angry about your input Just saying

2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Quote Originally Posted by DCKJohn View Post
    Hey jdscoins SAY WHAT? I Don't Know how long you have been A coin dealer or been Detecting but I have seen allot of old coins come out of the ground and there shape and looks are all different and I can tell you its Real no Doubt about it some how I'm glad I don't have to come to you and have my coins checked out let you know right now one thing I cant stand is someone putting in there two cents and not knowing for sure what there commenting on but thanks for your Reply you got to find more older coins so you can really figure out the fake from the real people bringing coins to you is your expertise when there not fresh digs but from what I see Detected coins give you problems telling rather there fake or real Have A Great year PS I'm not Mad Angry about your input Just saying
    Hey, Maybe It's just the picture quality then that makes it look a little off because it is blurry in sections. I meant no harm. And I only said I would get it looked at, I wan't implying that I was certain it was fake, just that it looked odd. I stand corrected. Thanks for your post. I have found fake seated coins before (not detecting) and some of them look very good. Could you maybe try to take another picture? I would love to see it clearly in all It's beauty as the detail on it is amazing. It is an incredible find and I'm really happy for you. Please understand I meant no harm and would never say for sure unless I was 100% certain. That's why I said "might". I just like to caution folks, I wasn't trying to underestimate your knowledge. I'm just used to talking with people that have a very limited knowledge of coins (even other detectorists) and I spoke to soon. I should have inquired with you first before making a recommendation to double check it. My sincere apologies.

And what I meant to say also is I was only raising a caution flag because the blurry pictures, which is what I now assume makes it look strange, because you are certain of It's authenticity. I'm sure in hand it looks very nice. I don't think it was fair for you to question my expertise due to the fact that I'm going off of a very blurry photo. But It's okay. We both made premature remarks that were better off left unsaid. And I'm willing to look past it. I hope you have a great year hunting as well.

Fake or counterfeit coins are not uncommon to find while detecting John (we find counterfeit coppers here in New England all the time) , we've had a few members find counterfeit seated coins before .Remember picture quality can make "fake" coins look more authentic and make authentic coins "fake " looking , I saw no disrespect in JdsCoins advise about asking for a second opinion about the coin in question John as he said a lot of the counterfeits are worth a bit more than the real ones.
    Last edited by del; 03-11-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Well said Dell.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Remember picture quality can make "fake" coins look more authentic and make authentic coins "fake " looking .
    All my coins look fake from my pics........it's bad when you have that reputation...but I'd rather concentrate on finding the good stuff than taking a pic of it

Great Find. I haven't found one since 2012
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    All my coins look fake from my pics........it's bad when you have that reputation...but I'd rather concentrate on finding the good stuff than taking a pic of it

Great Find. I haven't found one since 2012

Start hunting around me.....Glad you finally joined the club DCKJohn.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great find I've never found a seated dime only a quarter and a half dime… I love that your HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Good luck i look forward to your future posts
    Minelab Etrac sunray probe, 13" ultimate coil, Whites V3I,sunray probe,10dd,10x12 sef

Veteran Member
    Congrats and awesome find!! Will find my first one day. Safe & HH

Hi All just want to say thanks to everyone for there Replies on hear and all your info yes I agree there are allot of counterfeit coins out there and out of all the thousands of coins Ive found still haven't found that one I can ask Man I wonder if thats counterfeit cause all of them haven't been A possible rare or valuable coin theres only been one coin Ive found thats worth around 90$ it is A 1872 Indian head all the rest have been worth from face amount to 25$ or little higher and melt value most of us know that finding A rare coin will Probable never happen but that wont stop us from hunting I like sharing my finds on Detector Forums not to get any Replies on them but just to show everyone what great finds this Hobby of Ar's gives up and to see other finds people are finding cause as we all have seen when we post theres more Views then Replies now if everyone would Reply to all Post we would run out of room after a while and we would have to start A new forum so if anyone wants to Reply or doesn't I think all of us could say what we find is why we post for the most part so with that if you do find A counterfeit you the one who found it will let us know when you have someone check it out lets just feel Happy for the people who find anything while hunting and A great and safe hunting year in writing or just thought I will say it now and every time I Post everyone Have A Great and safe hunting Year Till yours or my next post HH

We've been lucky here to see quite a few rare coins come through. There has been a Higley copper, Pinetree 6 pence, 1793 Chain cent, the rarest variety of Fugio copper, and a very rare Connecticut copper. I don't think I got them all but that's enough Oh and I think some 1877 Indians were found too. Don't give up just yet on the rare one finding it's way into one of your plugs John. It may just happen next time out In colonial coinage up in our neck of the woods, we get a lot of counterfeits, usually Machin Mills, but some Geo II's too. I've found a fake Standing Liberty Quarter and a fake Morgan Dollar. Gave them to a friend that collects fakes. Ironically, it is the only old dollar coin I have ever found
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    We've been lucky here to see quite a few rare coins come through. There has been a Higley copper, Pinetree 6 pence, 1793 Chain cent, the rarest variety of Fugio copper, and a very rare Connecticut copper. I don't think I got them all but that's enough Oh and I think some 1877 Indians were found too. Don't give up just yet on the rare one finding it's way into one of your plugs John. It may just happen next time out In colonial coinage up in our neck of the woods, we get a lot of counterfeits, usually Machin Mills, but some Geo II's too. I've found a fake Standing Liberty Quarter and a fake Morgan Dollar. Gave them to a friend that collects fakes. Ironically, it is the only old dollar coin I have ever found
    I saw the pine tree 6 pence, but I'll have to look for some of those older threads. That's some amazing stuff! And you're right. You just never know when something good is going to pop out. The day before I found my gold coin I was daydreaming and wondering if it would be a lifelong quest. And heck, I was BEYOND stoked when I found an 1897 full liberty barber quarter worth about $40 and a 1921 merc worth about $60. It doesn't take much to make me happy. A gram of silver or a wheat with some sunshine is okay in my book.