Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other hobbies

Other hobbies

I know we have had threads like this in the past but I wanted to start this one so some of the new members could tell us about their other interests. Everyone, please feel free to post you other addictions This one started for me when I was very young. I liked it so much that at 13 years old I walked into a stamp shop and asked for a job They just looked at me like this But they kept me around to get coffee and to stuff mailing catalogs and sweep up. Naturally I got paid in stamps. So when I got older I started to collect the best stamps that I could afford. But this is one hobby that you can still get sheets of stamps for 4-5 dollars. It is a great hobby.

Name:  002-2.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  95.9 KBName:  003-2.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  71.8 KBName:  004-2.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  71.1 KBName:  005-2.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  76.8 KBName:  007-2.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  67.4 KB
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

wow i didn't know there was 1.30 dollar or 2 dollar stamps
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It is interesting how the hobbies relate - I used to collect stamps as well. I never learned anything about them but I still have quite a few. Who knows - I may have one worth a zillion dollars. I doubt it though, since mainly I obtained them when I was a kid from those old magazine advertisements where you could send in a dollar and they would send you a small cellophane envelope with a bunch of old stamps in it.

My other 'obsession' would have to be coin collecting, although I don't know enough about that yet either.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I have a few other hobbies then reading history books and metal detecting. I play chess and have competed in tournaments on and off for 15 years. I play on FICS under the handle NoHaRa. I enjoy wood working. I make boxes, 3D puzzles, Japanese style puzzle boxes, little stuff like that. I also enjoy working on clocks. Here are a couple of puzzles I've made. These ones aren't my designs.
    Name:  il_570xN.67709565.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  27.8 KBName:  il_170x135.66928694.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  10.5 KBName:  iusa_75x75.6004810.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  2.6 KB

My other hobbies are motorcycling the back roads of the Pacific Northwest; rocks (hounding, cutting, and polishing); ham radio; and a volunteer radio operator for search and rescue. I have found though, that metal detecting is actually cutting into my motorcycle time, which I thought would never happen!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by freemindstuck View Post
    I have a few other hobbies then reading history books and metal detecting. I play chess and have competed in tournaments on and off for 15 years. I play on FICS under the handle NoHaRa. I enjoy wood working. I make boxes, 3D puzzles, Japanese style puzzle boxes, little stuff like that. I also enjoy working on clocks. Here are a couple of puzzles I've made. These ones aren't my designs.
    Beautiful work!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Great job on the puzzles. Spatial thinking is not one of my strong points I was given an old clock (@ 1840's I believe) that a local clock repair guy restored the guts too. I have a lot of respect for the amount of work that it takes to disassemble and reassemble the clock frames, aligning them, changing bushings, and cleaning (ultrasonic) all of the brass components etc... Knowledge that is slowly being lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    My other hobbies are motorcycling the back roads of the Pacific Northwest; rocks (hounding, cutting, and polishing); ham radio; and a volunteer radio operator for search and rescue. I have found though, that metal detecting is actually cutting into my motorcycle time, which I thought would never happen!
    Beautiful work!
    Are you slicing rock and polishing them (like agate slices) or are you tumbling them like river stones? I have a solution to the motorcycle dilemma. Use the bike and a GPS to scout future areas while you cruise around. Then return to metal detect. They can rely on each other

Wow, beautiful stamps, George! I've never actively collected stamps but I do have some. My mom collected them in the 1960s and somehow I ended up with her album. I think she gave it to me because I showed interest in them when I was a kid. I don't know anything about them, perhaps the ones in her album are common. Almost all of them are cancelled and stuck in the album with hinges.

Here are some of the older ones:

These are absolutely beautiful!!!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Wow, beautiful stamps, George! I've never actively collected stamps but I do have some. My mom collected them in the 1960s and somehow I ended up with her album. I think she gave it to me because I showed interest in them when I was a kid. I don't know anything about them, perhaps the ones in her album are common. Almost all of them are cancelled and stuck in the album with hinges.

Here are some of the older ones:

Hey Tony, some nice older stamps. One thing that you have to look out for is the fact that some stamps may be placed in the wrong place. The album you have shows a lot of varieties, but not all of them. So stamps can be placed in the wrong location. Stamps lose value quickly if they are hinged, not centered, (especially if the image is cut by the perforations), heavily canceled, straight edged (like your 2 cent) and if some of the perforations are missing or very short (like the 4 cent grant). The first two stamps are nice and there may be varieties of each. I don't have my catalog handy, but there are color variations, perforation counts, and even secret marks, grills etc... on certain issues. Usually when someone shows me there stamps, you get the ones from the 1940 & 50's and they say they are "REAL OLD" Yours actually are real old. Nice collection Tony.

My son and I also hunt and collect fossils.
    I have boxes of them, but here are a couple of fossils I have handyName:  fossils 006.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  54.3 KBName:  fossils 002.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  53.1 KBName:  fossils 004.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  47.0 KBName:  fossils 005.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  53.0 KBName:  fossils 006.jpg
Size:  54.3 KB
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey Tony, some nice older stamps. One thing that you have to look out for is the fact that some stamps may be placed in the wrong place. The album you have shows a lot of varieties, but not all of them. So stamps can be placed in the wrong location. Stamps lose value quickly if they are hinged, not centered, (especially if the image is cut by the perforations), heavily canceled, straight edged (like your 2 cent) and if some of the perforations are missing or very short (like the 4 cent grant). The first two stamps are nice and there may be varieties of each. I don't have my catalog handy, but there are color variations, perforation counts, and even secret marks, grills etc... on certain issues. Usually when someone shows me there stamps, you get the ones from the 1940 & 50's and they say they are "REAL OLD" Yours actually are real old. Nice collection Tony.
    Thanks for the info, George! I didn't really expect them to be anything too special. Certainly my mom was collecting on a modest budget in the 1960s. I still enjoy looking at the collection.

Of course my major thing is comic books. I've been collecting them since 1976 and I currently have somewhere around 20,000. I started going to comic book conventions in 1983 and have made many lifelong friendships through comic book collecting.

My brother and I with our comic books in 1980. Me on the left.

Two comics from 1938 from the infamous Edgar Church collection. (Google it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    I have boxes of them, but here are a couple of fossils I have handyName:  fossils 006.jpg
    Oh my gosh... what a great thread! These are terrific! Where did you find them?

Don, what a beautiful collection of fossils some nice ferns there. Any trilobite's there? How old are they - @ 100 million? Great pieces

Tony, that is one heck of a comic book collection. Probably the best one I have seen. Some names I didn't even know made comic books. Nice and neat too!!

Thanks for the interest. Most of our finds are from the coal mine spoil hills around Braidwood, il. They call the area the Mazon Creek Formation.
    And yes, 100 million years plus.
    We have found several trilobites in Ohio.
    My best find was a large spider found in a road cut in Indiana. It's buried in a box somewhere.
    I have one unopened fossil thats about 2ft in dia. Waiting for it to pop open naturally by freezing and thawing. A normal fern fossil will pop open over one winter by putting it in a bucket of water outside. Iv'e had the big one seven years.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

My latest addiction stems from metal detecting and my past use of them which are Zippo lighters. My most recent acquisition was presented to me a couple of days ago by my X along with some nice antique glass ashtray's

Name:  santafenatural.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  95.8 KB

She says that she is going to quit smoking and I wish her the best of luck, I think about it every now and then but have never quit except once when I had a stint in Jail for 90 days about 20 years ago

Nice thread....I am what is known as an collector (one step ahead of a hoarder). I've posted some pictures of my bank collection. Now some are old and some are newer (given to me by my mother so they have to be displayed). Other collections include pewter ice cream molds, art pottery, cap gun collection, old kitchen utensils, spice tins, old bathroom stuff, calendars, clocks, etc....Name:  Collection 001.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  52.0 KBName:  Collection 002.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  57.3 KBName:  Collection 003.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  58.1 KBName:  Collection 004.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  61.7 KBName:  Collection 005.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  52.5 KBName:  Collection 006.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  49.8 KBName:  Collection 007.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  50.9 KBName:  Collection 008.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  50.5 KBName:  Collection 005.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  52.5 KB

The mason jar holds all the wheat's that I've
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I have found though, that metal detecting is actually cutting into my motorcycle time, which I thought would never happen!
    Put the detector in a back pack ~ hop on the bike go for a ride ~ stop and do some hunting ~ back onto the bike and head home. No need to miss out on bike time! I like to do that on the east coast, much easier to find a parking spot at the beach with the bike and I get to combine two hobby's!
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    I love the fossils. Fossil hunting is something I've always wanted to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Thanks for the info, George! I didn't really expect them to be anything too special. Certainly my mom was collecting on a modest budget in the 1960s. I still enjoy looking at the collection.

Of course my major thing is comic books. I've been collecting them since 1976 and I currently have somewhere around 20,000. I started going to comic book conventions in 1983 and have made many lifelong friendships through comic book collecting.

My brother and I with our comic books in 1980. Me on the left.

Two comics from 1938 from the infamous Edgar Church collection. (Google it.)

Wow Tony, I'm completely blown away by your comic book collection. It looks like you could start a comic book store!