Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Other hobbies

That is some neat stuff everyone! Like George, I am also a stamp collector, although my stamp collection just kind of sits around doing nothing while I search for these types of items. I find the history amazing as it relates to collecting the whole letter or envelope, known in the hobby as folded letters and covers.

I collect this type of material related to Wisconsin, various towns of interest, and from a couple of towns in Germany where my ancestors came from.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Some great examples milco. It's one thing for stamps to survive all those years, but attached and sometimes with contents too, is wonderful. A direct line to our past.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by freemindstuck View Post
    I have a few other hobbies then reading history books and metal detecting. I play chess and have competed in tournaments on and off for 15 years. I play on FICS under the handle NoHaRa. I enjoy wood working. I make boxes, 3D puzzles, Japanese style puzzle boxes, little stuff like that. I also enjoy working on clocks. Here are a couple of puzzles I've made. These ones aren't my designs.
    Attachment 37003Attachment 37004Attachment 37005
    Wow! These are truly beautiful! It must take some mad woodworking skills to build something so precise.

Impressive!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

well this is what i do when im not detecting.
    this is me at the north east regional finals in up state new york , the carp weighed in 32lb and was the biggest fish out of 100 fisherman and nearly earned me $6000 but a 33lb was caught 5mins from the end....i was upset to say the least !!!!.
    i held the ct carp record (46.2lb) for three weeks a few years ago before one of my good friend beat it.
    Last edited by lee; 02-23-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post

well this is what i do when im not detecting.
    this is me at the north east regional finals in up state new york , the carp weighed in 32lb and was the biggest fish out of 100 fisherman and nearly earned me $6000 but a 33lb was caught 5mins from the end....i was upset to say the least !!!!.
    i held the ct carp record (46.2lb) for three weeks a few years ago before one of my good friend beat it.
    Wow, that is one big carp. Just curious, how do you fish for carp? Around us, they are grass eaters (used to keep my pond cleaned out.)

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Nice thread....I am what is known as an collector (one step ahead of a hoarder). I've posted some pictures of my bank collection. Now some are old and some are newer (given to me by my mother so they have to be displayed). Other collections include pewter ice cream molds, art pottery, cap gun collection, old kitchen utensils, spice tins, old bathroom stuff, calendars, clocks, etc....Attachment 37048Attachment 37049Attachment 37050Attachment 37051Attachment 37052Attachment 37053Attachment 37054Attachment 37055Attachment 37052

The mason jar holds all the wheat's that I've
    Al is not being completely honest here......his house puts a lot of museums to shame. It's all displayed beautifully all over his house...even in the bathroom. When I go over, I always marvel at eh collection which is SO varied, and each room has a theme, like the kitchen has kitchen stuff, bathroom bathroom stuff, etc...it's an amazing collection...and his kids will sell it all at a yard sale for 50 cents each
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    Wow, that is one big carp. Just curious, how do you fish for carp? Around us, they are grass eaters (used to keep my pond cleaned out.)
    hello kc, so you have grass carp round your way do ya ? its a wide misconseption that grass carp only eat grass/weed , the best way to catch them is 14lb line with a bubble float a size 6 hook and a piece of bread with the crust still on floated on the top of the water.
    grass carps mouths are turned upwards for surface feeding so bread on the top is perfect, be very quite tho thay spook easy , spot the fish you want to catch first and then cast 10ft in front of it and let the grassie come to the bait.
    thay fight like all hell for about 20 seconds and then its like reeling in a plastic bag full of water ...lol.
    where mirror,common,and leather carp are concerned (whitch fight like the devil himself) i use and english bait called a boilie and fish it on a european setup called a hair rig which alowes you to fish the hook totaly bare with the bait behind it.....deadly !!!! once thay suck it in thay cant eject it and thay hook them selves.
    i did catch a 64lb grass carp from a water that was only 3ft deep these fish where introjuiced in the mid sixties and are the origanal fish...thats right....50year old fish !!! , thay where stocked as trifloids which means thay cant breed.
    if you need any more info i would be glad to talk all day with you about it , feel free to ask any questions.
    lee

I kind of collect other hobbies but my DH and I love Motorcycling, collecting antiques, camping. I'm very big into fiber arts - knitting, spinning, weaving, needlepoint and I do some metalwork and drawing just to round it out. I will have plenty to keep me busy when I retire, that's for sure!
    Garrett AT Pro
    Garrett GTA Ultra 1000
    Garrett Pinpointer

BIg fly fisherman here. I also collect and smoke tobacco pipes as well as cellaring pipe tobacco. Im a member of the pipe club out here as well. I also work out quite a bit, backpack and camp.

This is me many years ago. I'm the 1st Sgt. (1st guy kneeling from the left). Did CW Re-enacting for 13 years before kids.

The picture was taken from an old Sears & Roebuck Camera from the late 1800's on a glass negative.

Co. F 12th Regt. Georgia Vol. Infantry (Davis Guards)
    Doles-Cook Brigade
    Rhodes Div.
    2nd Corp
    Army Of Northern VA.
    Last edited by The Rebel; 03-10-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I got back into genealogy this winter.

Here is a picture of my Great-Great Grandparents in Tonsberg, Norway.

Name:  NickolasInga1orig.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  44.3 KB
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by scootergirl View Post
    I kind of collect other hobbies but my DH and I love Motorcycling, collecting antiques, camping. I'm very big into fiber arts - knitting, spinning, weaving, needlepoint and I do some metalwork and drawing just to round it out. I will have plenty to keep me busy when I retire, that's for sure!
    You are basically my family rolled into one person! I'm into antiques and motorcycling, my oldest son is into camping and metalwork, my wife is into fiber arts (and every other kind of art), and my other son is into drawing.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

I just came across this great thread. Loved reading about everyone's other hobbies. Let's keep it rolling. One of my other hobbies is photography. Wildlife/Nature photography is what interests me most. Here's a few of my favorite photos:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  80.8 KBAttachment 41457

For roughly the past 12 years I've been into fishing. Connecticut offers a lot of options for fishing too. Been a member on ctfisherman.com for those 12 years, and 5 of them as a moderator (you guys have it easy here ).
    My best friend who got me into fishing years ago has mostly lost interest in it. And he was a guy that liked his fishing. So, I've kinda fallen out as well.

Ice fishing was my 1'st real love. Get a few shacks together, cook some chow, and spend the day with a few (or more) friends. I organize an annual fishing optional event, a cookout on ice. We have a lot of fun, and may have a propane bowling or curling competition this year. We use 1lb greenies.
    We have CT river fishing, which is home to a large variety of species including Northern Pike. Did a few all-nighters on an island for catfishing parties. The Farmington river is a great TMA area. Done a few wet wading trips there in the heat of summer. Lots of lakes and ponds, and of course the Sound.

After ice fishing, panfishing from a boat was 2'nd fav, and saltwater 3'rd.

EDIT: Lee, I may know a couple guys you run into while carping.
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 08-14-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

We camp and fish a lot.

My favorite is fly fishing.

I am also a BBQ Judge that enjoys playing with fire and smoke

And I have a fondness for old Coleman lanterns

Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

I know I'm getting all geeky here but I collect vintage Star Wars figures. I still have most of my "toys" from the late 70's and pick up a few here and there at garage sales.

Lol. The new AW consumes a fair amount of my time...when I'm stuck inside and should be finishing/starting new remodel projects. The guitar I'm self teaching for a few years and same with making jewelry and chainmaille jewelry. The rock/fossil collecting is sporadic and I do have some nice display pieces.