Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a Cannonball??

Are you able to discriminate and cherry pick the coin targets?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Are you able to discriminate and cherry pick the coin targets?
    If I understand you (being as new as I am), I think so. That is, if I turn off (notch out) the Iron. There is so much iron out there, it can sometimes 'cover up' the higher tones. I'll have to use the cannonball and try to set up my machine to seek out the shaft (assuming they are of the same metal makeup).

Yes, you got it. Even if you notch out iron, big pieces usually break through and give you a high tone. This may actually be a plus in finding the large iron targets that you may want to keep. Also notching out iron will create a nulling effect which means you will probably miss non iron items that are very close to iron items. When you discriminate out targets the machine still reacts to the item, you just don't hear them. Is your machine able to give a low tone for iron?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by KCFindIt View Post
    Tanacat, it wasn't very deep. The field is a hay field that I cut and bale hay on, so I wasn't going to dig big holes, so I only dug targets that were within a few inches of the ground surface. The old maps show a house site there, so scanning over the ground, the detector goes wild. I really can only choose so many targets, and I choose shallow ones. Luckily, this "ball object" was more on the side of the field, so no hay growth was damaged. But I may dig a little deeper in search of the shaft.
    And so you are doing the happy dance for sure. Hope you find the motherlode!!
    If you dig deep clean 3 sided plugs you won't damage the hay in your field as long as there isn't a drought going on at the time. It can take a little practice. I use a dirt rag to keep my holes clean. During a drought you can still dig without killing the grass as long as you water the plugs afterwards. I actually find that the shallow targets seem to damage the grass more because you have to mess with the root structure to find the target. And remember that the deeper the target the older that it likely is.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by freemindstuck View Post
    If you dig deep clean 3 sided plugs you won't damage the hay in your field as long as there isn't a drought going on at the time. It can take a little practice. I use a dirt rag to keep my holes clean. During a drought you can still dig without killing the grass as long as you water the plugs afterwards. I actually find that the shallow targets seem to damage the grass more because you have to mess with the root structure to find the target. And remember that the deeper the target the older that it likely is.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
    Thank you for the continued lessons. You guys are the greatest, most helpful group. I will practice your method and see what pops up. Thanks again.