Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunray probe removal?

Sunray probe removal?

Hello all, I picked up an Etrac this winter with the Sunray probe. Can this probe be removed from the shaft or do I need to buy a new shaft? So far I'm not sure that I like it. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I think they weld it on, so you would need a new shaft. My question is why? I find that probe to be the greatest attachment to any machine People will stare at you and say "how could you bring that child out half dressed" Seriously, I have a spare upper shaft that you can have. It's used but still works (locks) well. I'll never need it so it's free for the taking. Just PM me if you want it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Hey Coinnut. That is a kind offer and I will think about it very seriously. I have heard a lot of good things about the Sunray probe but so far I don't seem to be having much luck with it. I haven't been able to locate targets with it very well and have to pull out the Garrett anyway. I will work with it for a while longer and see if it is just me or the probe.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I have a Sun Ray target probe on my E-Trac and I absolutely love it. Its ability to show you the target ID numbers is invaluable in my opinion. Not only that, but you can also use it in pinpoint mode to determine a target's precise location in the hole.

Perhaps yours is not functioning properly. Have you tried air testing it?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I agree Sunray probes are awesome! I have one on my etrac and v3i. When i can afford the ctx i think ill without it.

i have to agree with tony i would not want to be without my sunray and now more than ever they no longer make them for the e trac my advice would be to learn and you will come to love it i think that its a invaluable tool one i would not want to be without dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    Hey Coinnut. That is a kind offer and I will think about it very seriously. I have heard a lot of good things about the Sunray probe but so far I don't seem to be having much luck with it. I haven't been able to locate targets with it very well and have to pull out the Garrett anyway. I will work with it for a while longer and see if it is just me or the probe.
    The probe is fine. If you don't like it, I'll buy the probe with shaft back from you. Let me know.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

I really miss my E-trac and Sunray probe! It was the best setup I ever owned. I'm really hoping the Deus changes my mind about MineLab Etrac being the best (nothing will ever change my mind on the SunRay probe - unless Deus produces a wireless probe that reads out on the Deus).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I have a Sun Ray target probe on my E-Trac and I absolutely love it. Its ability to show you the target ID numbers is invaluable in my opinion. Not only that, but you can also use it in pinpoint mode to determine a target's precise location in the hole.

Perhaps yours is not functioning properly. Have you tried air testing it?
    XP Deus and MineLab Excalibur

Oldest Coin: 1773 George III Copper

Oldest US Coin: 1798 Draped Bust Large Cent

Oldest Silver: 1790 Carolus IV ½ Reale

Oldest US Silver: 1857 Seated Liberty Half Dime

Try watching some E Trac videos on You Tube. You can see the probe in action, especially if there is iron in the hole along with a coin. Another thing to think about. The probe also works off of the sensitivity settings you have on the machine. So if you run just auto, the probe will get minimal depth, but if you run manual with higher sensitivity (like 27 and up) it will go deeper. But if too hot, it can false or seem sluggish, so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by coinnut; 02-21-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    The probe is fine. If you don't like it, I'll buy the probe with shaft back from you. Let me know.
    The probe is working fine Steve, it is my ears that are broken, I have some audio adjustments to get used to with the Etrac and probe. I have less than 2 hours in the field with this setup so I will give it some time. I took it out today and it is starting to make a little more sense. I keep the Garrett with me for comparison and will increase my sensitivity a bit. I was able to separate two targets in one hole today, that was pretty nice. Thanks for all the inputs.

Kind regards

Ron
    Last edited by Ronandari; 02-21-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Wait until you dig that deep silver and put the probe into the hole. You will find yourself pinpointing that target for 30 seconds, just to hear that special tone If you do a video, people will be screaming at the computer, "just finish digging the hole for crying out loud" . You will get used to both the probe and E trac. It's just like any other machine....once you zero in on how to find good targets, your confidence goes up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Wait until you dig that deep silver and put the probe into the hole. You will find yourself pinpointing that target for 30 seconds, just to hear that special tone If you do a video, people will be screaming at the computer, "just finish digging the hole for crying out loud" . You will get used to both the probe and E trac. It's just like any other machine....once you zero in on how to find good targets, your confidence goes up a lot.
    I'll make a special video just for you Coinnut. I actually found a couple silvers with it today and you really can't mistake the sound. even as a newbie with the unit there was no doubt that there was silver there.

Ron

as far as keeping the garrett i use both some times you will get a signal and dig out a target that will not show up on one or the other i always keep both at my side they work great together

If you do decide to sell the shaft and probe, please let me know - I am very interested in buying it.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Ha Ha Angie. Don't you enough Sunrays I won't be selling it, my ears will adjust soon enough. I had thought of removing it and setting it aside until I learn the Etrac sounds and operation to kind of help with the learning curve.

Ron

I'll make a special video just for you Coinnut.

Ron
    Just keep it under 2 hours long Man some of those guys doing videos love to talk.....5 minutes into a 7 minute video and they haven't put the coil to the ground yet

The SunRay probe on my E-Trac is the only reason I have not went to a CTX 3030. I don't think I could hunt without it!
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings

Quote Originally Posted by AmxFred View Post
    The SunRay probe on my E-Trac is the only reason I have not went to a CTX 3030. I don't think I could hunt without it!
    I had the E Trac out last hunt and really realized how much I missed the Sunray probe Now back to the 3030 this Friday.

I have been getting more comfortable with the Sunray on the last few outings. I do like the tone ID but sometimes I still have a little problem zeroing in on the really small finds. When that happens, I just pull out the Garrett although I should probably just switch the Sunray over to pinpoint.

Ron

Yep, pinpoint will help when you are getting the runaround There is a sweet zone as far as sensitivity goes with the probe. Too little sensitivity and it doesn't go very deep. Too much sensitivity and it sort of overloads and becomes choppy. Remember the probe is using what ever sensitivity settings you have on the machine. I usually have mine in manual and running around 26 or 27. You can switch to the auto settings just by hitting the left or right buttons. I run auto +3. That way you can easily increase or decrease the probes response.