Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie post

newbie post

I have been detecting for about two years but had some health issues. Now I'm like most of the recent posts... when will the ground be soft enough. Have a DFX 950 and a Whites 6x10. Have searched a local park where I was stopped by a park ranger. I had heard the park was just starting to open up to detectorists, but only in one specific spot and only with a daily permit. The ranger was cordial and I stopped searching the area near a 150 year old "Insane Asylum" that was torn down. Looking forward to getting back to the park. Also enjoy beach hunting. No jewelry yet but some coins and locks.

Welcome from central Illinois!

Glad to have you here, brownbeardad! I guess the ground will thaw eventually, but I'm getting impatient. We're supposed to get 2" to 4" of more snow tomorrow night.

Best of luck to you and happy hunting!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Welcome to the forum from northeast Massachusetts.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Welcome aboard brownbeardad from western MA. Hope you get a chance to get back and hunt some of that park.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Welcome from Washington state! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Here's another welcome from western MA. That park sounds interesting, make sure you get your permit. Keep us posted on your finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member
    Welcome and best of luck this year. Safe & HH

I am new here also but welcome from Wild and Wonderfull West By God Virginia. Good luck on your site Im guessing youll find some interesting stuff.

Hello & Welcome from northern Illinois
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Welcome from Georgia. This is an awesome site to learn from.
    Kasey

Welcome from Maryland.
    S.P.Q.R. xtera 505, tesoro Compadre,tesoro sand shark,whites coin master, Pro pointer.

Welcome from Lexington! We have a local club that meets monthly in Richmond, Ky "Central Ky Research & Recovery Team"... PM me if you want more info!

That site sounds dreamy I worked at Eastern State Hospital (I believe the oldest 'insane asylum' in the nation) and asked permission to hunt but told no due to the archeological research. Lots of bodies buried there I've seen many myself!

Tana
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Welcome from New York (the rural part not the big city)

Hello and welcome from Connecticut Brownbeardad . I also use the DFX as one of my main detectors its still a great machine I wish you the best of luck this season and hope you have much time to spend detecting .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey. Keep searching the finds will come. I look forward to seeing them .
    Minelab Etrac sunray probe, 13" ultimate coil, Whites V3I,sunray probe,10dd,10x12 sef

Thanks for all the welcoming replies. Listening to the freezing rain as I type.

@Tanacat: I've heard the same about the Lakeland Asylum, or the Old Kentucky State Hospital. It was a beautiful old building, torn down about ten to fifteen years ago. This property is now a part of the E.P. Tom Sawyer State Park (where I was re-directed to the designated hunting area). Actually a wedding venue now. And there are still graves within a few hundred feet of the venue.

This is a little of what went on there. "Think of every horror story you’ve ever heard about psychiatry, and it’s all here: overcrowding, abuse, insulin “therapy,” forced freezing cold showers as “treatment,” crude lobotomies, electroshocks, you name it...wards with a capacity for 1600 persons were containing more like 2400, and in 1943 the Kentucky grand jury discovered that Central State was unfairly committing and imprisoning people who were not mentally ill" I don't dig too deep here.
    Last edited by brownbeardad; 03-12-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: insert pic of Lakeland
    DFX950, Whites 6x10 Shooter, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer, Gator Digger, Blue Max HP, Detech 10x12

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

@ tanacat: please forward your club info.
    DFX950, Whites 6x10 Shooter, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer, Gator Digger, Blue Max HP, Detech 10x12

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by brownbeardad View Post
    @ tanacat: please forward your club info.

Will do!

The same background with the hospital here... overcrowding without medicine I heard the ratio in late 1800's was 100 patients:1 staff

The tunnels were creepy but I enjoyed going down there Very lucky that all employees had a master key to the tunnels and we were allowed to take family & friends down there. I wrote a short story about exploring with co-workers that I want to publish some day. Keywords: flashlight cobwebs thick wood arch door iron bars dirt floor huddled blood wax holes bible trepination tool

You prob heard about all the bodies that were buried during diphtheria epidemic or maybe it was typhoid when the water was contaminated. Thousands died and understandably were quickly buried (shallow graves). In the mid 1980's black plastic was put up around area and I think 3,000 bodies were dug by archeologists, put in small boxes and cemetery was created in corner of the property. A large tombstone with a very nice sentiment to their demise stands today. I remember seeing the plastic, I was in high school and the scenario made me want to study archeology in college

Thank goodness I didn't, I'm rather partial to metal detecting No offense to archeologists... I'd love to work with them someday. But I admit I'm more of an 'immediate gratification' type hobby person than to have a career in such.
    Last edited by tanacat; 03-12-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I just sent you club details. I am bummed that I can't see the pic you shared of the hospital Are others able to see it? Maybe it's on my end... I have a good spooky pic I took at ESH I'll try to find it.
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I'd like to see the pic of ESH. dunno what the issue was with the lakeland pic. it would not insert into the post. made sure the pic was less than 64 KB. ??? I'll try again on another post.

I did work for Louisville Water Company for 26 years. During the cholera epidemic, Louisville KY was labelled the Cholera capital of the US. This was back when what you couldn't see couldn't hurt you. The Louisville Water Co developed the process of chlorination because of this epidemic. the company celebrated its 150th anniversary last year. i have thought about asking to detect on the company's historical sites, but want to get better at it first.