Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who needs spring training? "Hit it out of the park Saturday"

Who needs spring training? "Hit it out of the park Saturday"

After 6 long weeks of not being able to swing the coil, we finally made it out yesterday

It felt great to get out again. Last summer I found a spot that I had pulled a few coins and a sword hilt but the extreme over growth prevented me from searching most of the area. Decided to finally give it another go in hopes that the winter would kill off most of that over growth. With a lot more swinging room Dave started making some good finds. It seems that he had the hot coil as he found a handful of coins while my coil remained quiet for a majority of the time at this site. I let Dave have his fun here until I finally asked him if he wanted to move on to another site I had mapped out.

Upon arriving at the second site, there was a large oval shaped penned in area that I had high hopes for. It was nice to finally here some nice repeatable targets. This area was good to me and I ended the day strong with some very nice finds. My finds were a counterfeit copper, an 1827 Matron, an eagle with anchor naval button that we think is 1820's circa, and last but not least...my 5th George Washington Inaugurational button. It is another Eagle with Star with complete shank. Unfortunately, it is heavily pitted and probably the worst condition wise of the 5 that I have.

The bottle top I found I kept because you can see it is an oldie as it seems to be black glass with a stretched neck as Dave explained to me. Too bad it wasn't complete. I also found the back mark of the spoon handle to be interesting. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. It was a good day and nice to get out again.
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Congrats on GW #5 Todd , the navy button is either 1820's or 30's and a nice one the crude applied lipped "black glass" went to either a old whiskey or onion squat bottle and is probably pre 1830's .nice to finally see the parasol part with the canopy rib attachments . super day out
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

nice hunt Todd! glad your coil heated up later in the day.well deserved GW.even if it's your worst it's still in betetr conditon than my worst.Thanks for scoopin me up.you are a great detecting partner and thoroughly enoy getting out with you.congrats!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Awesome score on another GW nice bunch of finds!!

Very nice Todd. Been waiting for you and Dave to hit the cellar holes again. Looks like a great spot with fantastic finds. Huge on GW #5, look out Dave .
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

WTG Todd on hitting outta the park again! What was that place, it's HUGE!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Don't really know what to say except color me jealous. Would have been a good day without the inaugural button. That was just some sweet icing on the cake. Congrats!

Veteran Member
    Awesome finds!!! Congrats. You guys make me more determined to locate digging spots like that. Harder around here but I will find one. Safe & HH

Congrats Todd, man any GW is a grand slam for sure. Nice digs it looks as though the season is "hotting" up already.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Elite Member
    [QUOTE=Thiltzy;158492]my 5th George Washington Inaugurational button. It is another Eagle with Star with complete shank. Unfortunately, it is heavily pitted and probably the worst condition wise of the 5 that I have.
    QUOTE]

....So sorry to hear about the pitting...you poor man...only having only found 5 GW's in your short hunting career.......

Way to go! Freakin' unbelievable finds...talk about knocking it out of the park...
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

congrats on your 5th GW

Incredible finds, Todd!

Way to save those wonderful pieces of US history!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Super hunt Todd Never enough GW's
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Congrats on GW #5 Todd , the navy button is either 1820's or 30's and a nice one the crude applied lipped "black glass" went to either a old whiskey or onion squat bottle and is probably pre 1830's .nice to finally see the parasol part with the canopy rib attachments . super day out
    Thanks Dan, I really like the naval button. I want to research it more. Any ideas on the spoon back mark?

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG Todd on hitting outta the park again! What was that place, it's HUGE!
    Roger, I am not sure on what that huge cellar hole is. It doesn't seem right to me. No well or fire place, I don't think it was a homestead. We didn't find anything there except pull tabs and shot gun shells.

Congratulations on another GW! The other button would've made my year on its own! Can't wait to get back up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Roger, I am not sure on what that huge cellar hole is. It doesn't seem right to me. No well or fire place, I don't think it was a homestead. We didn't find anything there except pull tabs and shot gun shells.
    i believe it is a homestead.we saw slabs of quarried rock on the walk up rd.some of the foundation stones were quarried you can see the drill marks.small stream down in back(no need for a well) I think whoever built and lived in this home was a quarryman.that's my story & i'm stickin to it!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Yow !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    i believe it is a homestead.we saw slabs of quarried rock on the walk up rd.some of the foundation stones were quarried you can see the drill marks.small stream down in back(no need for a well) I think whoever built and lived in this home was a quarryman.that's my story & i'm stickin to it!
    I disagree Dave, maybe someone never finished what they started and we never found any targets there. No evidence to back up your theory. Where are the targets???

Awesome finds! it amazes me how you find those GW buttons. Great job i can't wait to see what you find next
    Minelab Etrac sunray probe, 13" ultimate coil, Whites V3I,sunray probe,10dd,10x12 sef