Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found the People That Lived at This Cellar Hole!!!

Found the People That Lived at This Cellar Hole!!!

I am really excited about my first hunt since January. I just got back from the hunt and had to post, although I didn't really clean the stuff very well. The following was found in 2.5 hours of hunting. I think this hole has been hit, but not very well. The hole is the most preserved one I've ever seen. There are stairs leading to the cellar, beautiful central chimney, perfect (no basement) addition. Well is flawlessly round....I almost stepped into it
    Root cellar...pen after pen etc etc.
    The only problem was the 25 min hike to the hole that included very steep hills BUT....I had an app called "My Tracks" that allowed me to try another way out which cut my hike out in half.
    Weird thing though, all the old iron I dug sounded in the nickel range

I think I have to go to the town hall and see who owned this property back then to see if any ancestors are still around. It would be cool to give them the pic. The picture doesn't do the coin justice. It is very smooth.
    Also, two thirds of this site still has snow Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

How cool is that?!!!! The photo is still amazingly clear too. Is it a tin type?

That 1837 large cent looks really sharp too! I'd say you have a great site there.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I don't know if it is a tin type Tony, I knew somebody was going to ask that It is on glass and so thin that it is peeling off when I take the top off it. Can you see the peeling at the bottom of her dress? I'm leaving the top on until it dries. Thank you!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I wouldn't remove it ...not worth the risk of damage to it. Just dry brush the dirt off of the frame. What a great relic, and a great hunt Drew.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

WOOHOOO!!!! Awesome find Drew! That just may be the coolest thing I ever saw someone find.
    The My Tracks app is the greatest. I use it all the time. Congrats Drew!
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Talk about digging up a piece of history. It would be so cool if you could you could find their ancestors and present them with that photo.
    Congrats on o really cool find
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That picture is one of the coolest finds EVER. I cant believe the condition it is in. Amazing!!!
    Last edited by Ronandari; 03-19-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: c;arofy
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Thank you everyone...I think it may be an "Ambrotype" photo from 1855-1865. It is a super thin print directly on glass.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Holy Mary Mother Of God! That is the MOST amazing thing I've ever seen dug! Do NOT play around with it any further.

Clean it as good as you can but dirt or other particles will scratch the image all up.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Thank you everyone...I think it may be an "Ambrotype" photo from 1855-1865. It is a super thin print directly on glass.
    http://www.phototree.com/id_amb.htm
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Here are some images of my Great-Great-Great-Grandparents.

Name:  John & Ann Lunny014.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  66.5 KBName:  John & Ann Lunny015.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  117.6 KB
    Cob.

My Album

Roger, That is soooo cool. They are handsome people....I hope you inherited their good looks
    Is that a thin coating on glass? The surrounding matting on the one I dug must be gold leaf as it rang up down in the 50s. I see patent info on the edges, any date?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Veteran Member
    Congrats on the finds. A picture find seems to be extremely rare to see from a hunt. Awesome!!!

Thanks! I take my looks from my mothers side of the family. They were 1st generation from Ireland, Married at Christ's Church (New Haven) 11/09/1846. I've been to their grave up in Waterbury (across from the mall) where all of the family is buried.

The coating is the actual film (emulsion) on top of the plate. The information reads: Dean & Emmerson Patent Applied For Worcester Mass No 38 No Date though. Based on the clothing It's was probably taken about 1859, 60-61
    Last edited by The Rebel; 03-19-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Cob.

My Album

Very,very cool! Love the connection.

I'd say you had one very cool hunt today. Just love the well-preserved photo.

Fantastic finds I love that old photo, it's in beautiful condition and the large cent is icing on the cake!!

WoW, that has got to be find of the year that is awesome. Congrats and good luck on your research.

I have to say that the picture is the find of the day. Not to say that the LC is nice but how many pictures like that are dug, not many. Hope you can find the people....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

So cool Drew. To be able to put actual faces to the people that lived on the settlement is incredibly interesting. Now if you could find some living descendants and giving them that picture would be priceless
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Not much I can add to what others have already said. It's definitely boss to find something like that. Definitely worthy for find of the month/year. Congrats and hope u can find the descendants.