Thread: Whats your thoughts

Whats your thoughts

Hi All Well I got out yesterday went to A plowed field west of town in this field sat A fort back in the mid 1800s did a little hunting not on my normal hunting side of the fence went on the south side where the land is owned by another farmer saw him got permission on the north side hunted there a few times in the past A hunting Buddy of mine found A 1839 half dime in the past well to make long story short found this Dime size coin shape Reeded edge but as you can see there is no sign es of it being A coin or not so I went to terry my hunting buddies house looked at it under A jewelers loop couldn't see anything that showed it was A coin or what type did check the silver content its at least 80% silver it is one worn coin wished it had just A little something to at least know what kind of coin it was so if anyone has any thought anything tell me what you think heres A PIC of both sides sorry about the Pics not that good at taking them Thanks HH
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Remember Think Old and Gold

Is it thinner than a normal won out dime? Is it slightly larger than a normal dime? First impression is that it is a coin. I want to say a Seated dime. If you rotate the first picture so the 3 o'clock position is now the 6 o'clock position it kinda looks like the seated lady liberty. The date would be at the present 3 o'clock position
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

If it is a slightly larger diameter than a normal dime then it could be a Capped Bust Dime, as they are 18.8mm and a normal dime is 17.9mm diameter.

I might be seeing things, but it almost looks like the outline of an eagle's wing in the top photo at the 6 o'clock position.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Placing a coin in the same position on my fingers, it looks closer in size to a nickel than it does a dime. But you said there is a reeded edge.

Yeah it's tough not having it in hand to manipulate the lighting across it. Maybe you should send it to us The diameter can tell us a bit more and rule in or out certain coins.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Hey Tony and everyone thanks for looking and comments Yes this coin is slightly larger then my Seated Barber Merc and Rosie dimes and I can see some of what you all see just don't Quit know but its cool I wished it did have some sign of A Capped Bust Dime then that would be the oldest coin found with me and my hunting Buddies Terry and Cass so far terry has the oldest found in this same area in the south field A 1839 half Dime each year we try to see who comes up with the oldest coin for the year do you all do that with your hunting Buddies its allot of fun for us so we keep trying to find the oldest parts to hunt Well Temp is going Up and the wind is going down time to get ready to go hunting going to try that field again O we did find A couple of musket Balls find lots of them and flat and Eagle Buttons in that area few Minnie Ball Bullets to till later HH
    Remember Think Old and Gold

Sounds like a nice spot.

Sounds like a very nice spot you have there. Isn't the competition between your hunting buddies great, seems to keep everybody on their toes. I used to hunt alone but then I met my hunting buddy. The competition and the banter always keeps the hunts exciting.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

How about a Spanish Real? They circulated in this country for a long time and I've seen many that were just about worn flat.

Quote Originally Posted by don in ny View Post
    How about a Spanish Real? They circulated in this country for a long time and I've seen many that were just about worn flat.
    That crossed my mind as well, but did Spanish Reales have a reeded edge?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

It is to bad we don't have a most worn coin contest because I think you'd probably win it hands down. Cool find!