Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new search coil for my V3i as my stock 10DD coil went bad. Any suggestions?

Veteran Member

Need a new search coil for my V3i as my stock 10DD coil went bad. Any suggestions?

My 10"DD stock V3 coil finally crapped out. Whites guy Tony at electronic exploration is just up the road a mile or two and he confirmed it. So....i was thinking of the 12" or the 8x14". I already have the 4x6 shooter coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hunt a lot of older parks and wooded areas and I just recently started to hunt more on older homes on private property. Let me know what you Whites guys think!!

I'm too new to know anything about the coils, but I'm sure interested in knowing what the experts think!

Quote Originally Posted by zrickkid View Post
    My 10"DD stock V3 coil finally crapped out. Whites guy Tony at electronic exploration is just up the road a mile or two and he confirmed it. So....i was thinking of the 12" or the 8x14". I already have the 4x6 shooter coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hunt a lot of older parks and wooded areas and I just recently started to hunt more on older homes on private property. Let me know what you Whites guys think!!
    I hunt with a v3i. I like the smaller coils. Most of the sites I hunt are to junky for such large coils. The slight increase in depth is more then offset by the iron masking you will encounter with a big coil. The manufacturers keep offering larger and larger coils almost like they are super sizing happy meals. I do have a 12 inch coil but find myself only using it when I'm field hunting in relatively target scarce ground.
    If it were me I would buy a 6x10 eclipse or a detech 6x8 sef, or I might just replace it with another stock 10"DD since this coil definitely has a place in my arsenal.

I'd go with the Eclipse DD (6x10) coil + cover.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

10x12 SEF
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

yeah stay away of the whites 8x14 its a "boat anchor" and probably the worst coil they ever produced. I'd go with the 10x12 sef or 8x6 sef .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I am no expert but my experience was that the 10DD was a pretty good coil but I went through two of them. I had very poor luck with the 6x9. At the moment I only use my 6x8 SEF and the 10x12 SEF which have really impressed me with their depth and separation. Good luck with your decision.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    . At the moment I only use my 6x8 SEF and the 10x12 SEF which have really impressed me with their depth and separation.

Ron
    And their durability too. SEF coils are one of the nicest aftermarket coils I have ever used.

Veteran Member
    So on the SEF coils particularly the 6x8 or 10x12 if you guys had to choose one which would it be.

for me that would depend on if i hit the more trashier places or wide open fields / beaches where the trash levels are a little less busy.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    for me that would depend on if i hit the more trashier places or wide open fields / beaches where the trash levels are a little less busy.
    Not saying from my experience (because I and a noob), but other sites agree with Dan. Relic hunting or field hunting go with the bigger. Trashier places use the smaller. But can it be explained how coils crap out? They are coils of wire with no electronics. I have worked with coil based sensors, but the cause of their demise was temperature. It's continually operating at 80-100C so it's over time that it dies. The faulty ones will still work at 25C, but fail hot. For MD, is it just the connector or wire between that opens up from stress like extending/retracting the arm for storage? Otherwise I cannot fathom how it stops functioning unless it's poorly consctructed. The coils should not shift. They are low power. It's characteristics shouldn't change over time.

I typically use the 6x8 in most applications except for field hunting where I need the extra depth and have less targets. Your choice will depend on your use of course but eventually you will likely end up with multiple coils to cover all of your types hunting. No single coil will be the best for all applications. Personally I have 5 coils for my VX3 although most aren't used very often.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Not saying from my experience (because I and a noob), but other sites agree with Dan. Relic hunting or field hunting go with the bigger. Trashier places use the smaller. But can it be explained how coils crap out? They are coils of wire with no electronics. I have worked with coil based sensors, but the cause of their demise was temperature. It's continually operating at 80-100C so it's over time that it dies. The faulty ones will still work at 25C, but fail hot. For MD, is it just the connector or wire between that opens up from stress like extending/retracting the arm for storage? Otherwise I cannot fathom how it stops functioning unless it's poorly consctructed. The coils should not shift. They are low power. It's characteristics shouldn't change over time.
    It's usually cheap or incorrect construction materials that makes coils go bad. It really comes down to the coils shifting and getting out of the tolerance that they need to perform in, for the machine not to false. There have been some issues with the epoxy that was used and temperature changes. Also there have been some shielding concerns on some manufactures coils. I remember busting open old coils way back before resins were used in them. The coils were held in place with masking tape . Bump that coil a you have some issues.

I guess that sums it up. As I used with my example, the epoxy was an issue as it didn't stand up to the high temperature for extended use. There was still 13,000 hours MTBF on those. The prices they charge for coils, there should be better construction. Coils used as humbuckers in guitars, they put forth a fair amount of effort into design and sheilding purposes and using special winding techniques and materials like alnico. I knew old AM radios had issues with their inductors changing shape, again, the only design available. I assumed they were rugged now-a-days and well, connectors are the issue with most electronics 8 of 10 times.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I would like to be enlightened on this as well, as far as a Problem that Whites had with their 10DD they blamed it on bad epoxy??? Not totally sure what that's supposed to mean but I believe it holds the coils in place! I know I used to tune microwave circuits by adjusting the coil loops and then foaming them in place. Maybe it is something similar???????
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I would like to be enlightened on this as well, as far as a Problem that Whites had with their 10DD they blamed it on bad epoxy??? Not totally sure what that's supposed to mean but I believe it holds the coils in place! I know I used to tune microwave circuits by adjusting the coil loops and then foaming them in place. Maybe it is something similar???????
    I think it is. Carl usually chimes in on these things. I'm thinking they could move (expand) when the coil was too hot from absorbing sunlight. Coils used to be white, but changed to black. That extra absorption, along with the wrong epoxy for those circumstances, may have caused the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I think it is. Carl usually chimes in on these things. I'm thinking they could move (expand) when the coil was too hot from absorbing sunlight. Coils used to be white, but changed to black. That extra absorption, along with the wrong epoxy for those circumstances, may have caused the problems.
    I hope that Carl see's this then and offers his expert opinion. Inquiring minds want to know!
    Tom

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/ecl...10-search-coil
    I sure like my 6x10. Lighter than the 10DD and a little more precise. Depth might be a little less, but I still have found alot of great finds with it.
    It is my coil of choice on fresh water beaches...where I don't need to go half way to china.
    ACE 250 ATpro GTI2500
    V3I
    CTX3030
    Surf PI Pro
    Gabby

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Still hoping that "Carl" might pop in and offer a bit of knowledge on why the 10D2 coils failed so often and still continue too!

I just sent my D2 back again, now on my 3rd coil so far, have only owned my V3i for 7 months!

I don't have a very warm fuzzy feeling about this at all.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Still hoping that "Carl" might pop in and offer a bit of knowledge on why the 10D2 coils failed so often and still continue too!

I just sent my D2 back again, now on my 3rd coil so far, have only owned my V3i for 7 months!

I don't have a very warm fuzzy feeling about this at all.

Whites admitting there's a problem or defect to one of its products or offering an explanation ?? Tom , don't hold your breath ....