Thread: Plasti Dip Garrett Pro Pointer

Plasti Dip Garrett Pro Pointer

Well I had seen it talked about... So I said wth..
    I had only used my Pro Pointer a few times and was already seeing some scrapes on my new $120.00 magic wand. I have also seen people talking about how they have worn out more than one pointer due to this very thing and I wanted to prevent that from happening. I was also concerned about leaving my pointer somewhere or accidentally dropping it and not being able to find it so when I heard people talking about plasti dipping it, that seemed to solve a lot of problems. I was concerned about it looking like a pinterest project gone wrong or the plasti dip not coming off easily but I gave it a go and I am quite pleased how it came out. Actually surprised.. it came out much better than I thought. I just masked it off sprayed 5 coats (30 min dry time in between) then dressed it up with a razor blade after I finished. Couldn't be any easier. I would recommend it to anyone. This will definitely protect it from abrasion and lengthen the life of the pointer also the plast dip peels of cleanly when you need it to and if you don't like blaze orange it comes in just about any color. Hope this helps anyone thinking about doing it and is apprehensive like I was.
    Name:  PPT1.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  78.9 KB Name:  pp2.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  77.8 KB

Wow that did come out nice Let us know how long it last you before you break trough the layers.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Wow that did come out nice
    Oh , SNAP you did it now GreenHat .... i can hear the gears turning in Coinnut's head I can see anything i forget in his truck form now on being plasti-dipped in hot pink.

on a side note you did a great looking job GreenHat
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Just out of curiosity, where can I get "plasti dip", and how much does it cost? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Oh , SNAP you did it now GreenHat .... i can hear the gears turning in Coinnut's head I can see anything i forget in his truck form now on being plasti-dipped in hot pink.

on a side note you did a great looking job GreenHat
    Now THAT IS a good idea! Think I am going to bring this idea to my office!

Quote Originally Posted by seeker77 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where can I get "plasti dip", and how much does it cost? Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Seeker, (name is fitting of the question ) jjk
    You can find it at any hardware store in the paint section. There are 2 types. One is a can that you can dip items into and the other is spray. I used the spray type and both types come in numerous colors. The cost runs from 6-9 dollars. It seems cost is more based on color and certain colors seem to run a few dollars more.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Elite Member
    Does it affect the depth of the pinpointer? Or any other side affects?

I think it's a great idea...I have "misplaced" my pinpointer on more than one occasion in the field
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Does it affect the depth of the pinpointer? Or any other side affects?

I think it's a great idea...I have "misplaced" my pinpointer on more than one occasion in the field
    None that I notice. I did air tests before and after and no perceptable change. The great thing is, if you don't like it.. it peels off cleanly. I have used it several times now and after a wash it still looks brand new so the material is durable. The spray on type whichis what I used does cry more porous than the dip type, which makes it a little harder to clean but it doesnt bother me. If I ever need to redo it, I will use the dip type for that reason only.

Does anyone work at Maker's Mark?

anyways... nice idea!

Who's willing to dip there entire pinpointer???

Very cool

Elite Member
    [QUOTE=GreenHat;160467] after a wash it still looks brand new......... which makes it a little harder to clean but it doesnt bother me. [QUOTE]

Wash? Clean? ....I've never done that with any of my detecting equipment...I think I washed my apron once..I think the mud/dirt is the only thing holding it together!

But that's good to hear about it not affecting depth...I'm mostly interested in not losing it...one of these times, I'm not going to find it...even with a metal detector...
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I bought a can at Home Depot, $6

I can't seem to find a coil cover for my old (blue) Excal 1000. This might be a viable alternative. It might just go on my new AT pro pinpointer, too.

Somehow I missed this thread when it started. I'm definitely going to do this. I've almost lost my pinpointer in the brush so many times.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Thank you for sharing this GreenHat.......that's a great idea.