Thread: V3I has developed a rattle

V3I has developed a rattle

Hi,

The control box has developed a rattle on my v3i. When I tilt it back and forth it sounds like a baby rattle. I'm thinking I've probably got dirt in the control box via the speaker holes? My machine is out of warranty and I'm thinking about taking it apart and cleaning the dirt out myself rather then sending it back to whites. But I thought I'd post here first and see if anyone else has had the same problem. And whether they have any suggestion on taking it apart and putting it back together.

Thanks
    Adrian

Never heard of that problem but if you hold it still and wave a target across it you can see if it is dirt in the speaker. The vibrations from the speaker should rattle the dirt enough to hear it. But if it only happens when you shake it, then maybe a loose speaker mount or circuit board mount. Just some thoughts on it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

This rattle could possible be a nut from the loop connector that has come loose and fallen off. if it is inside the metal box you should be able to take the battery and jiggle the box and see what falls out to see if something has come come loose. If you take the box apart be real careful when separating as not to pull the connectors off the circuit board before you disconnection them as they are surface mount connector and must be handled gently.

rcsnake

Be careful if it's a piece of metal, nut, screw etc. it could short out something if machine is powered up! do what RCSNAKE suggested and see if you can get it out. turn machine off first and remove battery.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Thanks for the replies guys! I took the battery out and removed the rod and coil. I then held the control box upside down at various angles and tapped very lightly. There was some very fine dirt in with the speaker which came out after the aforementioned procedure. So I didn't have to take it apart and the problem seems fixed.

That is good news, could have been much worse!
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

I've never had that problem with dirt getting in mine, I've had the dirt flying around it too

Candidate Member
    I have always placed clear tape (the heavy clear packing tape) over the speaker holes of all my machines.........
    White's has a decal made exactly for that purpose.
    It mutes the sound a bit but that is not an issue since i always use headphones.
    White's... Eagle Spectrum, MXT, V3i.

Even the worst day detecting is better than the best day working.