Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tryed out new coil

Tryed out new coil

Made it out to the beach yesterday trying out a 9.5 concentric coil I just got from Ronandari for my V3i. Worked well, no fantastic treasure but found a bunch of lead weights, bottle tops, pull tabs, clad coins and fishing swivels etc. This coil works a lot better on the salt beach than the 10D2 the V3i came with! Don't get me wrong the 10D2 works OK on the beach just the concentric doesn't false anywhere near as much!
    Thanks Ron.

Now if the rain stops sometime today I might get out to try out the 4x6DD I got from Ron too!I have just the spot I want to try it out at.

Name:  web01.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  37.2 KB
    Last edited by Tom; 04-13-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: deleted repeated word
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

I held onto that coil so I could use it on a beach someday but never got the chance. I'm glad that you are putting it to good use Tom. It won't be long before it starts finding you the treasure.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

All that lead is a good sign. Anyone of those could have been a gold ring. Glad the coil worked out on the beach.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

yup them 950 coils run very stable , nice haul Tom
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Second trip to beach with new coil, meant to take the 4x6DD but forgot it on counter! So this is more of the same with the 950. Couldn't believe I dug up an entire mini van! I keep hoping for a ring among the lead coinnut but noting yet!

Name:  web02.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  45.1 KB
    Tom

Hey I wonder what the price of lead is these days? If you find enough of it you can buy a gold ring Got to love them bobby pins Do you have a couple of magnets tied to the bottom of your scoop?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member
    Keep trying it is said good will come to those who wait. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey I wonder what the price of lead is these days? If you find enough of it you can buy a gold ring Got to love them bobby pins Do you have a couple of magnets tied to the bottom of your scoop?
    That's not the half of it, I have pounds of lead that I have found, you would not believe. Hey tell ya what, I'll trade you a pound of lead for an ounce of gold? Ya the bobby pins, no magnet, find them with with my pin pointer (pun intended) after then fall thru my scoop!
    Tom

You know with the amount of spoons I find it would be nice if one of them turned out to be silver.......
    Tom

Tom i take it your on the wet stuff finding all the lead , i'm surprised you haven't gotten some yellow yet??

I hate bobby pins on my pulse they sound just like a gold ring at 15 to 20 inches deep in the sand.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Tom i take it your on the wet stuff finding all the lead , i'm surprised you haven't gotten some yellow yet??

I hate bobby pins on my pulse they sound just like a gold ring at 15 to 20 inches deep in the sand.
    Yup, definitely on the wet sand! Still no yellow for this year, guess I still need to devote more time to the detector gods. Same here on the bobby pins I figure it's my job to get'm all off the beach, at least it seems that way sometimes.
    Tom

Got back out there with the 950 again last night, was so windy I had a hard time keeping the coil on the ground! Found a bunch more lead and still no gold. That rod on the left side is some kind of, well I'm not sure, it's not metallic but it registered on the detector! Feels like very light aluminum but it's not, filed the edge a little and it looks dark gray, seems like some kind of phenolic???? Dunno...

Name:  web03.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  52.0 KB

Also got to try out the 4X6 DD along a fence I can't get close to with anything else and found a few things! Anyone want a slightly used set of ear-buds? There is also some kind of button, looks military to me? But could be from a pair of jeans too! LOL. Not much left on the back side of it.....

Name:  P4130233.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  53.1 KB
    Last edited by Tom; 04-15-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: error
    Tom

Spent a little more time with the 950, had to dig a lot of junk to find what I did.
    Costume earring and a few coins.
    Was not the best of nights had to work pretty hard.

Name:  web05.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  45.9 KB

The dime is 1899, the penny is 1973, and cannot read the date on the nickel but it is not an oldie.

Name:  web06.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  30.0 KB

Pretty kewl to think that dime was probably in the sand for a hundred years!
    Tom

Nice finds on the old coins. . What did the badminton birdie ring up as?
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    Nice finds on the old coins. . What did the badminton birdie ring up as?
    About blew my headphones of my head Ron!
    I'll tell ya what that Whites V3i is about the only detector out there that will pick'm up!
    Last edited by Tom; 04-17-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    About blew my headphones of my head Ron!
    I'll tell ya what that Whites V3i is about the only detector out there that will pick'm up!
    I'll put that on my bucket list right by the old crusty softball. . Those Whites machines can find anything.

These pics show the reality of how much stuff we dig to find a few good coins. Sorry no gold, however congrats on the dime. Amazing how many of those sinkers are lost on the beach. I've heard snagging the line a ways out tho. Must have been one hell of a party at that beach to have a few rounds shot off and a game of badminton. At first I was shocked to the much older pull tabs, but that was a moment of not thinking of all aspects. They are obvi intentionally not dug by other detectorist... I know I read somewhere, to address your first post, that the round coils may not read as deep as the D2, but they are more accurate with the discriminator which tells you what it is, and depth. (obvi we all know the reject category(ies) just piggybacks off the discriminator).

Hello MangoAve, it's my understanding that if you don't dig the pull tabs you'll be missing a lot of rings. To be fair about the diversity of the finds in the pictures they were culled from all over the beach, top, bottom, high and low tides, wet sand, dry sand, from the rocks etc. I would not say the D2 coil is any deeper than the 950, might even say it could be the other way around. But the 950 sure is a whole bunch quieter though then the D2 in the wet salt. If you like old pull tabs check this one out, it's the oldest I have ever found. Mid 1963! Most people don't know the pull tabs came before the ring pulls, but they did. If you start seeing ones like this you just might be at a good site.

Name:  PullTab.gif
Views: 136
Size:  5.5 KB
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    I'll put that on my bucket list right by the old crusty softball. . Those Whites machines can find anything.
    You know Ron, they do say it's not the "machine" but the operator!
    Tom

Hmm.. This past weekend I had a 43-44 reading I didn't dig because I thought it was another pull tab. I didn't bother because I had dug up two old and one new pull beforehand. Maybe the last one was a ring but I missed out. lol. I just figured some intentionally tend to dig them on a beach due to the fact how many people bring cans there. They don't want to waste time for the 1 in 10000 chance statistic I just made up that you will get a ring versus pull tab. No, I haven't been to a beach to try MD either so none of what I say is from experience. As far as coils, I did read the D2 was supposed to go deeper in mineralized soil versus the round. That explains your comment about it being quieter in wet salt, but I did read somewhere the D2 won't provide as accurate of a reading. Just clarifying, no argument here.

Btw, MangoAve is interested in coins.