Thread: 6x10?

6x10?

When everyone talks about the 6x10dd are they talking about the eclipse 6x10dd right?
    I'm wanting to get a new coil for my dfx. I'm currently running the 300mm coil. But wanting to get a little more depth on coins? This should help me in trashy areas and on depth too right?

Hey Metz, welcome to the forum. There is a 6x9 eclipse and a 10dd. The 10dd should get a little better separation than the 300mm but I couldn't say if it is deeper. The 6x9 eclipse will get better separation but will not reach the depth of the 300 or the 10dd. Both are good coils but I would use the 10dd in open areas with minimum trash and the 6x9 in areas of moderate trash. for heavy trash areas I would recommend the 8x6 SEF. Another coil to consider for depth and separation is the 10x12 SEf. All are good coils and have their strong points.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I have noticed that a lot of people call the coil in question a 6x9 however Whites has always called it a 6x10 http://www.whiteselectronics.com/ecl...10-search-coil

The 6x10 will be much better in a trashy area compared to the 300mm (12" Super 12). The 12" will go much deeper than the 6x10 but in trashy areas with the big coil you're not going to be able to get the adjacent target rejection like you will with the 6x10. I personally only use two different coils on my V3i, I use the D2 and the 4x6.

the 6x10 where do i begin .... from my personal use, it seems to be a very good coil when its working but i've had issues with it for some time . I can't seem to get one to last more than a few years . it has great separation and pretty good depth for its size but i'm unsure what is the issue ( bad epoxy that expands and contracts until the coil wires go out of null) or ( not adequate enough shielding ) . I've gone through about three of the them on my dfx in about 7 years now they all seemed to slowly act unstable and get worse with time , I won't buy another.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

My apologies all. . I have always called that coil a 6x9 and I don't know why. thanks Giant for straightening me out.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

So if you all were to buy a new coil what would it be?

Hey Metzy3204. Personally I wouldn't make a recommendation since that choice can only be made by the individual. He is the only person who truly knows the conditions where the coil will be used. If you should decide on the 6x10 or the 10dd, I have one of each for sale in the classified section. Good luck with your choice.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by metzy3204 View Post
    So if you all were to buy a new coil what would it be?
    Metzy , what are you wanting most from the coil?? depth , coverage (the 300 should be good enough for that) trashy areas??

the 300 can get good depth but It has poor separation and small deep targets can get overlooked or sound iffy because the coil "sees" more ground at a time and more minerals .best uses for a coil like this is open fields and beaches where there are very low levels of metal trash , your covering more ground and getting the most from every wide swing.

an Sef or double D of similar size will get about the same depth as the 300 but will find them smaller deeper targets (they won't sound as iffy but better) because the coil's field is not looking at as much soil , these coils also have better separation so handle the trashy areas better than a concentric coil of the same size.

Metzy if your happy with the 300 , then get yourself a smaller coil so you have all areas covered. the 6x8 sef i hear is a great coil that has pretty good depth and excellent separation and is very good in the trashy spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    My apologies all. . I have always called that coil a 6x9 and I don't know why.
    Ron
    Hey Ronandari ,no worries I still call it a 6x9 sometimes we knew what you meant

Metzy if your happy with the 300 , then get yourself a smaller coil so you have all areas covered. the 6x8 sef i hear is a great coil that has pretty good depth and excellent separation and is very good in the trashy spots.
    Good advice Del, I used 6x8 last night at an old farm house. I am always impressed with that coils depth and separation.

I use a 10x12 SEF, 6x10 whites, 10" DD whites, and for really trashy areas a 4x6 whites. They all work well for what they are meant to do. I really use my SEF and 6x10 mostly. I dont get to hunt old farm ho uses or really big open fields very often, but do hunt many parks of different sizes and age. It will also depend on your ground, EMF swing speeds etc.
    Johan

I think this is why some people still call this coil a 6 x 9. http://www.audiosavings.com/products...ERPLUS693.aspx I remember installing PLENTY of these in the rear deck of 60s/70s muscle cars!
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    I think this is why some people still call this coil a 6 x 9. http://www.audiosavings.com/products...ERPLUS693.aspx I remember installing PLENTY of these in the rear deck of 60s/70s muscle cars!
    Steve I couldn't even afford kraco's i just had "tower" speakers from an old home stereo in the back seat of my old Monte Carlo , can't get much more "ghetto" than that

Everything was Jensen back then
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I have been amazed -- though admittedly sometimes perturbed -- at the VX3 and 6x10 combo's ability to pick up tiny pieces of metal in the ground even at significant depth. Most often it's the head if a square nail or other such junk but it gives me confidence that as long as I get my coil over it, my machine's going to pick it up. I had a bad start with the coil too because I bought one used that I thought was v-rated. After replacing it with a new one, however, I couldn't be happier. I did just get the 5.3 too, though, and will probably have that on my detector most of the time because I hunt areas with a lot of old iron and need better separation. I think the 6x10 is great for parks and you'll find gold rings as long as you dig those low tones.