When I was a kid, I had 2 close friends. In the warmer months, we used to fish together as often as we could. In the winter, we would play ice hockey on the same pond we would fish in the spring/summer/fall. At the time, it felt like we would be together forever. Eventually we all grew up, went to college, graduated, moved to different areas of the northeast US. Essentially our new lives took over & we drifted apart. One of these friends, Craig, was always a terrific athlete and an even better hockey player. He turned pro a few years out of college- didn't make it to the NHL, but had a very successful career in the AHL (American Hockey League- one step away from the NHL). Anyways, I hadn't seen or spoken to Craig for many years, when I had found out he was going to be in town to play a game against a local AHL team. It was late in his hockey career, so I decided to go to the game to see him play as I knew he didn't have many more years to play. I waited for him afterwards at his team bus so that I could say hi. Even though we hadn't seen each other for a good 15 years, the conversation went like we had just spoken yesterday. We kept in touch occasionally after that meeting. Unfortunately, as fate would have it, about 5 years later, Craig was diagnosed with stomach cancer & it took his life within a year.

Now I know you all must be thinking, "ok, this is supposed to be a story about something wonderful that has happened in your life." I'm getting to that part. I had not seen or spoken to our other friend Jeff for over 20 yrs. I had no idea if he was still local or if he had moved away. The town I grew up in was holding an event to raise money for Craig's family. I made the trip to attend that event. As luck would have it, our friend Jeff was there as well. Again, my conversations with Jeff seemed to just pick up seamlessly to the last time we spoke over 20 years earlier. Our memories of Craig led us to talks of our youth playing ice hockey & fishing. Since getting together on that night, 5 years ago, Jeff & I have made an annual trip to Lake Winnipesaukee every year to fish together for a week. I know I may be overthinking this, but to me, in some way, I believe that in Craig's death he found a way to bring the 3 of us together. Although only 1week a year, every day that Jeff & I fish, we spend a good chunk of that time talking about & remembering our good friend.

So to me, one of the most wonderful things to happen to me is unwavering friendships and memories that will last a lifetime. I can see many of those friendships develop right here on AD. Keep up the good work. Glad I found this hobby (thanks to Todd- Thiltzy) & this site.

Kevin