Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1877 Indian Head found in the woods! I Still Can't Believe it!

1877 Indian Head found in the woods! I Still Can't Believe it!

My dad and brother jointly own 40 acres of woods and meadow lands that they use for hunting. We had always known that there was an old well on the property, now filled in. My brother mentioned that there was a spot near the old well where tiger lillies come up every year, and there was also a huge old cedar tree in the same area.

Although it isn't typically the type of site that I would hunt, my brother suggested that I try hunting around the old well just for the heck of it. To be honest I wasn't expecting to find anything, but I decided to try it just to satisfy his curiosity.

Boy, am I glad he talked me into it.

The detecting was very difficult because of the scrub brush, fallen branches and small saplings everywhere. However, within 10 minutes I got a solid 12-35 signal that was only about 4" deep. I was honestly very surprised when an Indian Head cent appeared in the dirt. When I wiped some of the dirt off the front I couldn't believe my eyes.

It was an 1877! My first one ever!

We immediately took the four wheeler back to the deer cabin so we could put our glasses on and make sure our eyes weren't deceiving us. Sure enough, the date was clearly 1877. We secured the coin at the cabin and went back to the site. About 10 feet away from the spot where I found the 1877 I found another Indian Head. It was only about 2" deep and it was dated 1899. Further detecting in this area yielded only a few shotgun shells, lead slugs, a copper ring and a D buckle.

My dad and brother are going to clear the area of saplings, scrub brush and fallen branches and then my dad is going to mow the entire area with a Bush Hog. I will definitely be detecting the site again in the future. Right now it's so difficult to swing the detector that it's truly a miracle that I was able to find anything.

Here are all of the finds from the site:
    Name:  Woods-Finds_zps2de59fcd.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  143.6 KB

Here is the 1877 Indian Head before I did anything to it:
    Name:  IH-1877-Dirty-1_zpse0a3cf92.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  108.3 KB

And here it is after I got some of the dirt off of it. All I've done so far is rub it with my fingers. I'm afraid to do anything more to it.
    Name:  IH-1877-Clean-1_zps3200d015.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  99.3 KBName:  IH-1877-Clean-Rev_zpse1543fb6.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  100.6 KB

I got the recovery of the 1877 Indian Head on video, so I will be uploading that tonight. I don't think any metal detecting find has ever excited me as much as this one, and it was made extra special because my brother was with me. Needless to say, he was thrilled that his hunch about this site was on the money!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-22-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice coins and spot
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Congrats Tony!! That's going to be a killer place to hunt! My friend found a crusty '77 a few years back that wasn't in as good shape as yours. He ended up selling it on Ebay for $500.00.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

I'M SOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!! That is some find, and in good shape, congrats and welcome to the cellar dweller's club
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow Tony that is awesome! I am so happy for you my friend I can't wait to see it, I wish I could have been there with you so I could celelebrate with you!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Wow, what a great find! Now I'm looking forward to seeing what you find when the area is cleared.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Veteran Member
    Wow tony, what a find , now will you sellit ,,, i dont know what i would do.
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Veteran Member
    That is an awesome find. Congrats Tony, you are one lucky man.

Fantastic Tony! Great green patina as well. You can certainly make out some of the Liberty on the headband, and looking at your pics, definitely worth a few hundred bucks for sure. Though I imagine given the specialty of the moment you may want to keep that one for awhile!

BTV Digger

just goes to show you never never know what will show up makes this hobby what it is congrats on a great find and a good spot for the future dennis

what a sweet looking Indian very happy for you Tony congrats again on finding "the Indian" among Indians , can't wait to see what else after the area has been cleared.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats Tony. I am so happy for you and I hope you have many more awesome finds like that one! HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

SWEET find Tony! I was SO relieved when I saw the shallow N on the reverse and the last feather pointing between "IC" in America. There are so many expertly crafted altered dates for those 1877 indians. But yours looks 100% genuine to me. WAHOO!
    Not saying you will, but it would sell for roughly $700 in that condition.

Very nice Tony. I didn't understand why you were so excited, you've dug hundreds of Indians. Then I looked it up. WOW Great Find !!!!
    Being with your brother will make it that much more memorable. CONGRATS
    Last edited by Digger Don; 04-20-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

So very nice, what a day one coin can make! Good to go Tony Two Cents, by the way I dig your handle! Sounds a little Italian.
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Here's a short video of the hunt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPXb_Jtoj9g
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Just watched your video Tony. It's obvious how happy you were and it couldn't have happened to a better person. Congrats
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Well, well, well,.... there it is! Wow what a find!
    I was so happy for you when you sent me that text! Honestly.......a little envious too
    THE IH of all IHs! It's in pretty good shape too!
    Congrats on a coin of a lifetime!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is one totally awesome coin Tony a HUGE congrats on that one ................................ That's the Holy Grail

.................................................. ...
    Last edited by giant056; 04-21-2014 at 03:05 AM.

Congrats on recovering the holy grail of IH's!! Good luck on your return trips, I am sure there are plenty more items to be found!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token