Thread: My Daughter Showed Me Up Last Night...

My Daughter Showed Me Up Last Night...

April 21st - My cousin called and said to meet him after work for a couple of hours of detecting. So, with daughter in tow I met up with him at the spot I found 11 musketballs last week. After setting up my daughter on her Delta 4000 off she went. After our 2 hour hunt she found 2 musketballs and a 1831 LC. I didn't get much detecting in because I was helping her out, but it was worth it when she found the LC. Anyways I ended up with 2 more musketballs, 1864 Indian and I think a trigger guard. My cousin also found a couple more musketballs and a rifle butt plate. So far in two hunts a total of 24 musketballs have been found...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Congrats to your daughter on a very nice Large Cent. I know how it is hunting with your kids, You always hope they do better than you. The smile on their face is better than any coin you can dig.
    HH
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Very nice story! It's great to have something the kids like to do as well. Sounds like a great afternoon.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Elite Member
    I don't know which part I'm more jealous of....1) having a good place to detect 2) great finds or 3) Having a daughter that is willing to go detecting with you...mine won't go to save her life!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Wow Brian , bet she wore that smile for hours after that hunt

more musket ball and gun parts , Brian you definitely have either and encampment , skirmish or a muster field there . just way to many lead ammo and now gun parts showing up. any military buttons found there yet??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

This is what it's all about. Can you get a close up of the coin to put it on the banner? Truly great detecting story.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great hunting. Is your daughter still smiling? Lots of military items popping up, keep going back.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats to you and your daughter on those finds. It's always nice to have the kids detecting with you.

I hunted with my daughter this past weekend. When we were done for the day and I was thanking the landowner, he commented how lucky I was to have a 14 yr old daughter that was willing to spend 7+ hours metal detecting with her father on a Saturday. How right he is. Working on getting her her own machine. By the way, my other daughter (age 11) will have nothing to do with it. Maybe some day.

Take lots of pics of her with her finds. You will both cherish them for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Great hunting. Is your daughter still smiling? Lots of military items popping up, keep going back.
    Yes she is!!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Congrats to your daughter on a very nice Large Cent. I know how it is hunting with your kids, You always hope they do better than you. The smile on their face is better than any coin you can dig.
    HH
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    Very nice story! It's great to have something the kids like to do as well. Sounds like a great afternoon.
    It was a great way to end my sh!t day at work!
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Wow Brian , bet she wore that smile for hours after that hunt

more musket ball and gun parts , Brian you definitely have either and encampment , skirmish or a muster field there . just way to many lead ammo and now gun parts showing up. any military buttons found there yet??
    Dan, do you think that is a trigger guard? I wasn't sure. Anyways I'm leaning towards encampment due to location and know activity in the immediate area. Plus we are picking up mid-1800s coins as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmoose View Post
    Congrats to you and your daughter on those finds. It's always nice to have the kids detecting with you.

I hunted with my daughter this past weekend. When we were done for the day and I was thanking the landowner, he commented how lucky I was to have a 14 yr old daughter that was willing to spend 7+ hours metal detecting with her father on a Saturday. How right he is. Working on getting her her own machine. By the way, my other daughter (age 11) will have nothing to do with it. Maybe some day.

Take lots of pics of her with her finds. You will both cherish them for a lifetime.
    I will thanks! I'm not sure she is up to a full day of detecting so I will take what I can.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    I don't know which part I'm more jealous of....1) having a good place to detect 2) great finds or 3) Having a daughter that is willing to go detecting with you...mine won't go to save her life!
    We really lucked out on location for sure!

Congrats on a very successful hunt you had there your daughter looks like a mighty happy camper there

Brian its definitely a trigger guard from an early weapon , although from the picture i can't tell if its from a pistol or musket. look it over good because British regulation weapons had either the typical "crown" marks or regiment numbers stamped onto them somewhere.
    Last edited by del; 04-23-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Congrats on the finds. I've taken my gf out with me a few times. I have an old RS one I let her use, and I was gonna give her a chance to try mine out as well. I realized the old RS is pretty much garbage. The coil and the box both have problems. Working with electronics I know the most likely cause in the box is dried out electrolytic caps. But the first hunt where I took her along, we didn't stay long 'cuz nature was calling (I guess to be frugal here), and the second time she just wanted to continue hiking and playing on the phone taking pics. There was a real nice view from the top of the mountian. She seems to want to get out, but she needs a detector.... a working one.

Congrats to your daughter and you, the time together is greater than they finds...but they are fun too!!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member
    Congrats to you all for a successful fun family hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Brian its definitely a trigger guard from an early weapon , although from the picture i can't tell if its from a pistol or musket. look it over good because British regulation weapons had either the typical "crown" marks or regiment numbers stamped onto them somewhere.
    Dan, here's some more pixs of the trigger guard. It is definitely broken on both ends. I think there is a 7 stamped in the last pix.
    Last edited by chief5709; 04-24-2014 at 04:34 AM. Reason: type error

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    This is what it's all about. Can you get a close up of the coin to put it on the banner? Truly great detecting story.
    It is in rough shape. I'll try to clean it up and get a close up, if I can get it away from her.

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    Dan, here's some more pixs of the trigger guard. It is definitely broken on both ends. I think there is a 7 stamped in the last pix.
    it will be extremely difficult to positively Id Brian , its the ends (because they are usually fashioned or decorated ) that most use to tell what particular gun model. unless you can get a positive stamp id .

i provided a few examples of some trigger guards the last one is one i found a couple of year ago, notice the decorative ends i speak of .

Dan

Thanks Dan, I figured it would be hard to ID with both ends broke.