Thread: Restoration of 'Long Live the King' button

Restoration of 'Long Live the King' button

Ave!

Here's another delightful piece just finished -

The 33mm button was soaked in full-strength Mint State Restoration solution for just one hour, then scrubbed with a toothbrush on both sides. The final cleaning of the gold-leafed legend was accomplished with a Dremel mini-soft bristle brass brush under running water. Ren waxed and buffed.Name:  King Button Both .jpg
Views: 532
Size:  67.2 KB

Best to all,

Kevin

much improvement Kevin , some spots of that verdigris looked like the very hard and stubborn type . I like how that Mint State Restoration solution took most of the "green" off but didn't strip the button of its aged color on the metal , these buttons are usually a copper-alloy and it still has that nice "aged toned appearance" . great job on saving the gilt too

keep the cleaning examples coming , love seeing your results.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Ave Del!

Ave Dan,

Here's the deal -

We could have used a number of different diamond-dusted Dremel rubber tools in various grades to smooth off the remaining encrustations until the surface was as smooth as a baby's bottom, and re-patinated it but decided to back off. Sometimes it's best to just clean enough, without going too far. Does that make sense? Zero re-patination was added to the button.
    Best,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Mayadigger View Post
    Ave Del!

Ave Dan,

Sometimes it's best to just clean enough, without going too far. Does that make sense?
    thats what its all about Kevin , little increments and knowing when to stop .

its what i stress to the new people when doing something like that . well done

Candidate Member
    Hi, I am scared to death of trying to improve a very very rare button I found last week, but I am interested if I can do it and enhance the value for sale, this is a button known as the Hornets Nest Rifle Corps button which is famous ecause of the 1st regiment company B of the so called bethel unit of North Carolina, and according to Tice Nc 254a1 this button is worth over 7,000., what should I do, Thanks in advance for your advice, Jimmy (US Navy 1965Name:  pictures 311.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  75.8 KBName:  pictures 312.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  73.0 KB-71)
    survivorjp USNavy1965-71

nothing ... if your plans are to sale it at some point , most collectors would rather have them in their natural patina .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by del; 02-17-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Candidate Member
    Thank you Del, I will not touch it, as a mater of fact I currently have it wrapped in sterile cotton and in a small leather case and locked up in my gun safe. Thank you so much for your advice. Jimmy
    survivorjp USNavy1965-71

No problem Jimmy , hey they make some great cases to house your buttons . they are actually gemstone cases but they fit buttons perfectly too , protect them and your able to see and enjoy'em too.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That button sure cleaned up nice! I love the highlighting on the words from the gilt! And JP, that button is Incredible!!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacivilwarluke View Post
    That button sure cleaned up nice! I love the highlighting on the words from the gilt! And JP, that button is Incredible!!
    Thanks Pacivilwarluke, I am still on cloud nine, I don't think I could ever find anything rarer than this, it's a once in a lifetime and even more rare than most any CSA Plate!! Woo Hoooo !!
    survivorjp USNavy1965-71