Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Door Knocking yields BIG SILVER

A Little Door Knocking yields BIG SILVER

Al I went out for a couple hours after work tonight. We stopped and knocked on the door of an old Victorian home only to get a polite No. Good thing, because we went next door and got a yes. We were told the house was built in the 1890s. Alec hunted for a while and dug two nice wheaties. He asked if I wanted to use the e-trac for a while. Duh, what do you think. After about a buck in clad, I got a nice signal and dug a very nice .925 Sterling ring with a rose on it. Some more clad and then a bouncy 12-46, 12-47. First thing out of the hole was a rusty nail and then a little more digging and I saw that beautiful silver rim. An 1895 Barber Half. I got to tell you, it was a great feeling. By the way, I no longer have the ring. My Wife Does.!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Wow, You and Alec are really on a fast learning curve with that e-trac AND learning how to pick great spots to detect. Pretty soon I'll have to start hating you too!
    Congrats on another great hunt. Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Wow, You and Alec are really on a fast learning curve with that e-trac AND learning how to pick great spots to detect. Pretty soon I'll have to start hating you too!
    Congrats on another great hunt. Dave.
    Thanks Dave. It's partially your fault. I watch your videos and see how well you do on private properties. It really does pay off.
    It definitely feels good to start finding some good coins.

Silver 5

Congrats on an awesome hunt .That Barber Half must have given you a real jolt . I'm still looking for one of those .

Fantastic score on that Barber half there Don

Great find. A friend of mine who's been detecting for 35 years is still looking for his first Barber half and he is a heck of a detectorist having found 9 3 cent silvers in the last 2 years. Way to go!
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

That ring was all wrong for you anyway. Congrats on the finds. Do you just see the house and stop to ask, or do you plan ahead? A lot of times I notice the houses while driving somewhere, but I go and check assessor cards before I get out. Usually I can't stop when I see the houses so I have to come back when I have time. I only say this because I check assessor card to see the age of the house before I go, as well as check the old maps for the house. Some assessor cards say 1900, when clearly they were built before 1868. I think it's either rebuilt after a fire, or incomplete records for why they use 1900 build dates.

Some very nice finds. A lot of the rings do end up on the wife's fingers. on that Barber 1/2. How are coming along with the plans for that 2nd Etrac?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    That ring was all wrong for you anyway. Congrats on the finds. Do you just see the house and stop to ask, or do you plan ahead? A lot of times I notice the houses while driving somewhere, but I go and check assessor cards before I get out. Usually I can't stop when I see the houses so I have to come back when I have time. I only say this because I check assessor card to see the age of the house before I go, as well as check the old maps for the house. Some assessor cards say 1900, when clearly they were built before 1868. I think it's either rebuilt after a fire, or incomplete records for why they use 1900 build dates.
    We usually just drive around and look for houses with old limestone foundations and non-manicured lawns. We live in a town that has been around since the 1830s so it's not that hard to spot the old homes.

Silver 5

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Some very nice finds. A lot of the rings do end up on the wife's fingers. on that Barber 1/2. How are coming along with the plans for that 2nd Etrac?
    The plans are coming along great. The cash a bit slower

Silver 5

What an awesome find, Don! I have never found a half dollar from the 1800s. Pretty soon I'm going to be taking E-Trac lessons from you!

Enjoy that great coin, they don't turn up often!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    What an awesome find, Don! I have never found a half dollar from the 1800s. Pretty soon I'm going to be taking E-Trac lessons from you!

Enjoy that great coin, they don't turn up often!

Thanks for the compliment Tony. You were a big part of us learning the e-trac better. Thanks

Silver 5

Very nice Barber half. The team work seems to be paying off! I'm going to have to start door knocking!
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer

Nice finds there Don! Congratulation and keep it up.

Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    We usually just drive around and look for houses with old limestone foundations and non-manicured lawns. We live in a town that has been around since the 1830s so it's not that hard to spot the old homes.
    The reasoning, I spent the morning on google maps and assessor sites. I found one yesterday boarded up. When you see those situations you can't really do door knocking until you find the owner. It happenes to be an 1835 house owned by someone, not a bank or LLC. They live in a different town so the house is not occupied. As well, one just up the road I happened to noticeit was built in 1808, but it's owned by a company...I am thinking from the adjacent land. That one may be tough to actually find the right person to give the right answer, and not give me a 'No because it's a safe answer".
    Last edited by MangoAve; 05-14-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    The reasoning, I spent the morning on google maps and assessor sites. I found one yesterday boarded up. When you see those situations you can't really do door knocking until you find the owner. It happenes to be an 1835 house owned by someone, not a bank or LLC. They live in a different town so the house is not occupied. As well, one just up the road I happened to noticeit was built in 1808, but it's owned by a company...I am thinking from the adjacent land. That one may be tough to actually find the right person to give the right answer, and not give me a 'No because it's a safe answer".
    I bet the effort you put in will pay off BIG TIME. I have called Realtors that have an abandoned house for sale and they have almost always said yes.. Good Luck

Silver 5

Congrats on your Barber Half Don!!! No greater feeling then seeing big silver in the hole.
    Hunt hard & Hunt safe!!!
    Robbie, Hamilton,Il
    Minelab E-Trac, Whites TRX Pin-Pointer
    Sun Ray Pro-Gold Headphones, Lesche
    RNB Innovations Battery

Barber halves are very uncommon Don , especially the ones from the 1800's . congrats on a great coin
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You are off to a great start this year Don. It won't be long before you can afford an Etrac for youself too.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on the BIG silver, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber