Thread: A trip to York

Right in the centre of England (i hate the sea)

A trip to York

As the title suggests, my wife and I decided to take a trip up to York for a few days.
    There were clearly two versions of what the trip should become and this is probably how it seemed in both our heads.

Me. "Fancy a trip to York for a few days, we both could do with a break"
    Wife. "Oh yeah, that would be nice, its been such a long time since we have been there"
    Me..(thinking in my head) "yes!!! might need to ring a few contacts, there's a couple of farms i would love to go back on with my detector"
    Wife..(thinking in her head) "Wow, whats he up to??? Might need to ring the bank, warn them of impending credit card doom"
    Me.."There's some nice shops, we could do a bit of shopping, take in a few sites. Should be good".
    Wife..(still thinking in her head) Hes either having an affair or I'm dying of something and he hasn't told me yet".
    Wife..Go on then get it sorted and lets go..
    Me (thinking in my head) "Sucker!! Falls for it every time"

York is without doubt one of the greatest City's England has to offer, If you've never been and get the chance, grab it with both hands. There is so much history its untrue. Anyone who has even the slightest interest in history would find it fascinating. oh and there are shops to keep the bride/wench happy

I did manage to get a days detecting on site i have been on before, just outside the city. It has produced a few Roman/Saxon coins in the past and with a bit of luck i will post a few pictures up once i have cleaned my finds.

One thing i need to tell you, I mentioned to a mate, (he was the best man at my wedding 20 years ago) that we were going to York, last time he was there was when he was about 10 years old, He lived with his Nan as she had looked after him after his Mom and Dad decided they didnt want him after he was born. So he thought it only proper to look after her as she got older....what a man!
    Anyways, his Nan died a few months back and as it was her who took him to York all those years ago he asked me send him a photo of "that castle thing thats stuck on the top of a hill" because its the only part of York he could remember seeing with his Nan

Well me being me, I felt it rude not to send him a picture....I cant write his reply to seeing it, as its a family forum and i would probably get banned for life.

Name:  Me and a castle.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  37.9 KB

The castle in case you're interested is called "Clifford's Tower" and was originally built about 1070 AD

Name:  York Pennies.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  72.3 KB
    Heres a "straight out of the ground" photo of two of the coins found. Top right is a York Viking Penny 895-902 AD Bottom left is a Aethelred II Penny 978-1016AD
    Last edited by Pona; 05-16-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    Alea iacta es .... and so ended the Republic.

Great story and two wonderful finds! Just to have the opportunity to find something that old, incredible!

I hope your wife had a good time as well.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice pic of the castle and nice coins too

Veteran Member
    Wow nice finds. Congrats!!! Safe & HH

Pona the story was entertaining but the pictures of the castle and pennies are great congrats on some fine coins
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

What awesome finds! Our ROCKS around here are younger than that!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Right in the centre of England (i hate the sea)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    Our ROCKS around here are younger than that!
    Rofl. ^^^ That is the quote of the Century
    I'm due to do a talk next week for a local history group. The talk is based around Roman coin finds in their area. Athough your quote is based on the coins above, I'm going to use that as my opening slide. I'm sure they will appreciate that. Thanks Skamaniac.

Thank you to everyone else as well for the comments.

Pona.
    Last edited by Pona; 05-18-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    Alea iacta es .... and so ended the Republic.