Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Detecting

Candidate Member

New to Detecting

Hello All
    i live in north central Illinois, and have a Bounty Hunter 2500 to start with.
    i have not as yet started detecting, after reading blogs on hobby maybe I should get out while the getting is good or learn all the dos and don'ts from those of you who would like to share your knowledge.
    I am retired and would like to spend time left in the sun not on a couch waiting for the guy with the shovel to dig my hole.
    Looking for places to start, without police or rangers stopping me.
    Need info on what to carry in the field to achieve best results.
    Thanks for reading

Hello Bagman welcome to the forum. I'm not real familiar with state and local laws in Illinois or town your in , some of the more local members in your area can give you a better idea. You could also join a local detecting club in your area too , there you get to meet people in you own area maybe find a detecting partner to "show you the ropes" .

For equipment in urban areas I would recommend carrying the least weight as possible . Maybe a pouch for you goodies and to carry out your garbage a small hand trowel or lesche digging tool ,your detector and maybe a hand pin pointer .
    Just remember to be as neat as possible to the grounds your hunting on because we all get judged by your actions so be a good ambassador for the hobby.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome from Washington state, Bagman. There are a number of IL members on the site who can hopefully help you. A good place to start is your own yard. It's surprising how much stuff you might find! Parks, schools, playgrounds are good, but you need to make sure MD'ing is allowed in each place. It also depends on your interests - coins, old coins, relics, jewelry, etc. Go through the old threads on this site...tons of helpful info!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Veteran Member
    Welcome and best of luck. Safe & HH

Hi & Welcome from Northern Illinois. Maybe we'll run into each other at some local parks.
    Good Luck & HH
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

where you hunt has a lot to do with the area that you live in cook county at the moment will not let you hunt forest preserves dupage will not allow md at their parks the same as the town of dekalb you will have to find some local help to find the areas in your neck of the woods you said north central what town are you close to dennis

Welcome Bagman, just go where you know you can hunt, your own front yard! I you don't know ask. Most city parks have signs everywhere saying what you can & can't do! Good luck out there and have some fun!
    Last edited by Otis Campbell; 05-19-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Eurotek Pro, Tesoro El Dorado
    best find: 1881 $5.00 gold coin
    oldest find: 1864 Indian head penny
    garrett pro pointer

Candidate Member
    Least weight sounds good to me. Detector seems light now but I guess you do get to develop forearms more after a few outings. Mosquitos are bad here also. Thanks

Candidate Member
    I'm looking forward to having fun.

Welcome from western MA. This is a great hobby, better than waiting for the guy with the shovel. Don't be afraid to ask for permission on private property once you perfect your digging method. As Del stated, see if there is a metal detecting club in your area. A great resource for information and a chance to meet people with like interests. Looking forward to your future finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by POKIE73 View Post
    where you hunt has a lot to do with the area that you live in cook county at the moment will not let you hunt forest preserves dupage will not allow md at their parks the same as the town of dekalb you will have to find some local help to find the areas in your neck of the woods you said north central what town are you close to dennis
    I live on north end of Dekalb , sorry to hear I can't detect here.

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Welcome from western MA. This is a great hobby, better than waiting for the guy with the shovel. Don't be afraid to ask for permission on private property once you perfect your digging method. As Del stated, see if there is a metal detecting club in your area. A great resource for information and a chance to meet people with like interests. Looking forward to your future finds.
    Local clubs I have found seem to be an hour or more away. I will keep looking. Thanks

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Hello Bagman welcome to the forum. I'm not real familiar with state and local laws in Illinois or town your in , some of the more local members in your area can give you a better idea. You could also join a local detecting club in your area too , there you get to meet people in you own area maybe find a detecting partner to "show you the ropes" .

For equipment in urban areas I would recommend carrying the least weight as possible . Maybe a pouch for you goodies and to carry out your garbage a small hand trowel or lesche digging tool ,your detector and maybe a hand pin pointer .
    Just remember to be as neat as possible to the grounds your hunting on because we all get judged by your actions so be a good ambassador for the hobby.

Dan
    Yep least weight sounds good I guess everything seems heavier after being out and about after a while.
    I do have an apron looking for probe and repellents, it seems state parks allow detecting but no digging. I guess I will have to learn how to probe and pop em out some how.

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Hope to stay a couple of steps ahead of the reaper for awhile. I guess with no detecting allowed in my town I will be making some road trips.

Candidate Member
    With no hunting allowed in my town there is a good chance we will. Looking forward to meeting up.

Candidate Member
    Thanks

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timewarpdigger View Post
    Welcome and best of luck. Safe & HH
    Thanks

Welcome from another Illinoisan. Even though detecting is allowed in the town where I live, I still have to drive a ways to find good spots because every public site close to home is pretty much hunted out.

Finding productive sites to detect is the most challenging and difficult aspect of the hobby. It takes research, patience and persistence. In many ways metal detecting is like fishing. Sometimes they're biting and sometimes they're not, but it's still nice to be outside enjoying the sunshine.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Welcome from another Illinoisan. Even though detecting is allowed in the town where I live, I still have to drive a ways to find good spots because every public site close to home is pretty much hunted out.

Finding productive sites to detect is the most challenging and difficult aspect of the hobby. It takes research, patience and persistence. In many ways metal detecting is like fishing. Sometimes they're biting and sometimes they're not, but it's still nice to be outside enjoying the sunshine.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    I will Tony , thanks for the welcome.

Hello and Welcome to the forum, from John in NJ.
    Whites VX3 - Blisstool LTC64X V3