Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great coin hunt

Great coin hunt

I only had a little while to hunt this weekend, so I stayed close to home to make the most of it. I just bought the 17" coil for the CTX and it has been good to me when I used it on the Pequot hunts. This is my first try with it at a couple of cellar holes close to home that have been pretty well worked over. I must say the 17" coil picks the targets out nicely in the wide open field areas. I wasn't expecting much at these sites, but on the path I got my first good coin target, a 1903 Barber Dime. If that is all I would find, I would be happy for the hunt. But I eventually got a deep copper reading and pulled a toasted copper at 8". About an hour before the hunt was over I got another copper/silver reading at 6" and out pops a silver disk. I noticed it was a bit bigger than a dime, but couldn't tell what it was. It could be Spanish or another foreign coin. I continued hunting and then called it a day. A couple of 22's, shotgun shells, nails and other scrap rounded out the hunt. When I got home, I realized the silver coin had that cement like grit stuck to it, so I cleaned it gently with running water and a soft tooth brush. It revealed a Capped Bust Dime But the date threw me for a loop, as it was an 1809 (just missed the Draped Bust Dime series by 2 years). I was a bit bummed since Draped Bust silver is very hard to come by over here, but when I looked at the Redbook for that year, I found out it was the first year of the series and only had a mintage of 51,065. Looking at the coin (minus the encrustation) it appears to be XF or maybe even a bit better. If I can get it cleaned without ruining the patina, it will be a very valuable coin. I was not bummed anymore So far I am loving this coil.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  51.6 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  53.7 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  66.9 KB
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

WOW ,what a sweet early Capped bust and a key date to boot . very nice George
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice! That is a real oldie ! Lot's of detail under the dirt. That's 2 CB dimes posted so far this weekend. We need to see 1 more.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Veteran Member
    CONGRATS!!!!!!! Awesome find!!

I bet you'll like that coil even more come winter when these ferns die off again. Good luck with the cleaning, back just as nice? That coil paid for itself in a few hours!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow what a special coin that is...great find there.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

draped bust silver is hard to come by anywhere.you can get her clean.we have faith in you.beautiful silver. congrats!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Beautiful dime. Looking forward to pix of it when it's cleaned!

Sweet find George!!
    Congrats!
    And you didn't even have to go very far!
    It looks like it's in pretty decent shape. Can't wait to see how your cleaning efforts turn out
    I heard sandpaper works well for bring out details.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Awesome hunt George !!!

Now that's what I call a great hunt, George.

Don't you love pulling out finds like that in a spot that has been hammered...really gives you confidence in the equipment you're using.

I can remember when you first got the CTX ( before you really knew it ) it's a killer in your hands now, isn't it.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Awesome finds for sure

Sweet lookin finds
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Wow! That capped bust dime is INCREDIBLE, George! It still has amazing detail on it!

What a spectacular find! The stuff of dreams for sure. Man, I would give anything to find a coin like that.

HUGE CONGRATS!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That is one SICK dime! I'd do anything to find a 195 year old silver coin! Amazing hunt!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Thanks everyone. It will be a while before I clean it. I need to see what it is encrusted with first. But I am soaking it in water to loosen up anything that wants to easily come off. The backside is in great shape too, but heavily encrusted...worse than the front. It really was dropped brand new. Always wondered what the person who lost it thought, when they figured out it was missing. Why they brought it out in the field in the first place, is another thing I would love to know. Sorry no sandpaper on this one I found my first Capped Bust half dime a little while ago and it had the same type of corrosion on it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

NICE! Key date capped bust dime. I don't know my coins, I would have just tossed it in my pouch. Cool find
    Having fun is what it is all about!

, a capped bust. Most of us would have been very happy with the Barber and ALL of us would be very happy with that capped bust. Looks to be in great shape and I hope your cleaning it goes well. Well once again, no site is ever hunted out. Congrats on the key date.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Very excellent find, I can only dream of finding a coin like that. CONGRATS
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Fabulous dime George! That one still eludes me
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee