Thread: In the field storage.

In the field storage.

I have been using these little Travel Jars to put my coin finds in. I put a couple of wet cotton balls in each of them so I can place the coin between the moist cotton balls. I do this for a couple of reasons and I only use them for my better finds
    1) To keep the dirt from drying on the coins, until I can get home and clean them. For some reason when the dirt dries onto a coin it's hard as cement.

2) To keep the coins from being scratched or damaged while hunting.

3) You can carry them in your pocket until you need them.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: In the field storage.

Nice Dave. I saw you using one this weekend. I usually use a medical tube thingy. I need to start carrying it with me.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Great idea Dave. How big are they? Where did you get them?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Thats a good question and I should have added that information. I picked these up at wally world. Two for 97 cent's. As you can see from the pictures they will hold a half dollar and are almost as tall as a half.

Too funny. I use the same technique, but mine are small canisters that screw onto each other, They are used for vitamins. They work pretty well and each piece can hold about 6 or 7 coins with cotton between each. But I haven't been able to figure out how to find enough good coins to fill the darn thing
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Maybe I'm odd but I usually run back to the car with anything good and the Wheaties always go in the plastic sleave in my cigarette pack. It's a habit..

Bruce
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Good idea!
    As you can tell by my 2-center, I leave dirt on my coppers and throw them in a pocket.
    I'm gonna try this. Thanks for the post.

I like those little containers. I need to go get a couple in case I ever find another silver coin.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Go to a store that develops 35mm film and ask for the empty containers. I get mine at Walmart. Put in a few pieces of tissue/toilet paper. Then when you find a neat coin or button, just open the container and put your treasure between the paper. You would be surprised how many you can fit in that little container. Some people carry the container empy and fill it with dirt when they get their first find.

HH

Bob K
    Oldest coin: 1720 Spanish half reale

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHunterBob View Post
    Go to a store that develops 35mm film and ask for the empty containers. I get mine at Walmart. Put in a few pieces of tissue/toilet paper. Then when you find a neat coin or button, just open the container and put your treasure between the paper. You would be surprised how many you can fit in that little container. Some people carry the container empy and fill it with dirt when they get their first find.

HH

Bob K
    Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum!

That is a great idea! Much better than the way I do it.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Yep, I do the same thing with the vitamin vials. I use cotton between each find and I can add containers, since they are screwed on to the one above it. It definitely protects them. I used to use a jar with water in it too. Great idea Bob
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I use prescription bottles with cotton balls. King george coppers are the worst, the way they come out seems to be hit or miss . The more the patina the better, holds the detail. I like how the older coppers are graded so much differently than coins in the late 1800's and up. Very good is like AG for an IH or a Wheatie.
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"