Thread: DFX: cost and concerns?

DFX: cost and concerns?

So back in the beginning of May when that relentless little bug to try detecting started biting deep, a DFX (spectrum E) was posted on the fishing site I haunt. I almost dived on it, but wound up passing for a couple reasons for now.
    It was purchased 8 or so years ago for a trip to the Caribbean, likely for beach combing. The owner decided beach combing wasn't so fun, and really didn't use it while down there. It came home and has been in a closet until recently to sell it.
    The whole shebang includes the DFX with the stock coil, the 12" MXT coil, Bullseye 140mm pointer, headphones, 3 battery packs, and other stuff accessories and fluff. 2 are the NiMH packs, and the 3'rd a pack that loads AA alkalines. Everything looks very clean in the pics.

I had one concern right off. The rechargable packs, and what long storage without use did. My guess is they're dead flat and toast. The other concerns more recently is whether the DFX is meant for saltwater use? White's doesn't list specs for it anymore.
    Digging through this forum for more, I see mention of sending them out for re-calibration after a number of years. So now I wonder, would a DFX sitting unused for years be best served getting looked at, or is it still good to go?

After my 1'st trip in the woods with Dan and Drew, I know what I need to invest in 1'st. A real shovel and trowel, knee pads, and a better utility belt.
    I'm no stranger to a soldering iron in the least. From SMT's to installing product in cars, so tearing apart the packs and replacing the cells is an option for me. After that is the very limited saltwater use, followed by the calibration.

So, what's it worth as it sits if you were looking? I'll post the price I can buy it for in a bit. It seems like a fair price, just want opinions. I don't mind upgrading early if it is a deal. Hardware and software doesn't scare me in the least. Already working a learning curve in a new hobby, it'll just be a bit sharper. No big wiggle..
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 06-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

No doubt the DFX is a great machine. Since there's no price, I can't comment beyond that.

BTW: Jack (Cybersage) is a genius with the DFX, but don't tell him I said so.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Brian , most prices on used DFX's are around the 400 to 550 price range depending on condition and accessories that go with them . My concerns with that machine is the long storage and hopefully no battery pack was left in it all that time . The battery packs themselves arn't that expensive and I have quite a few extra good ones around here you are welcome to have . if your serious about the machine I'd be happy to go along with you to run it through some tests to see if its running right before you purchase it .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I would agree with Dan. If you can get a barely used DFX with those two coils for $400 bucks or so, its a good deal. If the batteries were removed for storage, you probably will be OK. You can't buy a new machine of any brand for that kind of money that would give you the same performance as a good used DFX.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks guys.

He's asking for 600obo, but was hung at that price pretty much. I couldn't budge him (he's a nice guy, but older and feels the fact it's unused is worth it alone). I'm pretty darn sure it's off the market again, that's why I ask. He said he removed the battery before storing it BTW.
    I suppose I'd be willing to go as high as $500 if it's working fine. I don't mind running AA's in a pack until I can replace the shotsky NiMH packs. I don't get out all that much yet, but already realizing the limits of the 350. 10 notches isn't doing it for me to be honest.

I don't need the Bullseye, and could bundle it with my Ace 350, the Scary Shovel, and the Fiskars tools I bought to offset the cost. I've been liquidating some excess fishing gear to support this hobby, so my Garrett pinpointer and other stuff technically didn't cost me anything. I'm currently dumping my Vexilar to get a real shovel and trowel soon.

Thanks for the offer Dan. Very much appreciated. It's a 1/2 hour ride into the Hartford area. Lunch or whatever is on me if I can get the guy to loosen up. You're too nice. If this is leading up to asking to help you move to a new home or something, count me in.

EDIT: Were there any saltwater use concerns with this?
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 06-27-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

I was just thinking since I was probably the closest with this very same machine , we could take mine (and a couple of good batteries ) and compare them at the same place to make sure it was functioning well before you purchased it. don't mine the traveling.

its not a waterproof machine so it was probably only used on the wet sand and all the coils are waterproof . its a pretty good machine in the beach .

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    If this is leading up to asking to help you move to a new home or something, count me in.

Brian ,unless the wife plans on kicking me out sometime soon (without my knowledge) , my having to enlist or solicit friends for moving duty days are over .
    Last edited by del; 06-27-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Let's see what he says. I made another offer earlier.

If this doesn't pan out, I'll drag out the card and buy a V3i. Droool....

$500 wouldn't be a bad deal for a primo DFX, coils and accessories. Just a personal preference, but if it was me I would sell or trade the Super 12 coil for a 10" DD. If he won't budge on the price, I too would opt for the V3i.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I've heard they're really good for salt water beaches for sure !

Made my final, final offer and he won't budge. He wants 600 firm. Bummer... Oh well.
    Was just kidding about the V3i. Would love one, but I'm not ready to jump in that deep this early. The DFX would have been fine. I'll settle down with the 350 for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the input all, and thanks for the generous offers Dan. It's much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Made my final, final offer and he won't budge. He wants 600 firm. Bummer... Oh well.
    Was just kidding about the V3i. Would love one, but I'm not ready to jump in that deep this early. The DFX would have been fine. I'll settle down with the 350 for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the input all, and thanks for the generous offers Dan. It's much appreciated!
    There are other DFX's out there, so keep looking. Since you are staying with the 350, there is no pressure to buy a DFX. So you can take your time and see if another one comes up without feeling like you are going to miss the offer of a lifetime. I've bought a couple of them over the years and I would just wait until I saw a nice one at my price. Work hard with that 350 this year, and the clad you find will buy you that DFX.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    No doubt the DFX is a great machine. Since there's no price, I can't comment beyond that.

BTW: Jack (Cybersage) is a genius with the DFX, but don't tell him I said so.
    Those were the days! I gave my DFX, and collection of coils away to a freind who wanted to get into the hobby. I still have a really nice Bigfoot coil that I use on my Vision/V3/V3i from time to time in single frequency.

Del is spot on on the pricing. I have all my battery packs rebuilt by the local Batteries Plus Store. They do a great job for around 38 bucks for a 2700 mAh pack.
    Last edited by CyberSage; 06-29-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    I have all my battery packs rebuilt by the local Batteries Plus Store. They do a great job for around 38 bucks for a 2700 mAh pack.
    thats a pretty good deal Jack , I'll send you all my old ones to convert over

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    There are other DFX's out there, so keep looking. Since you are staying with the 350, there is no pressure to buy a DFX. So you can take your time and see if another one comes up without feeling like you are going to miss the offer of a lifetime. I've bought a couple of them over the years and I would just wait until I saw a nice one at my price. Work hard with that 350 this year, and the clad you find will buy you that DFX.
    I broke the 2 dollar mark today. Only a lot more to go!

The DFX was on my radar mostly because it was super clean coinnut, and potentially in my budget. Sure, I'd love an Etrac, 3030, or V3i, but I can wait.
    Looking back (a whopping 2 months), my only real regrets in not giving the guy his asking price is the lack of education I'm getting from my Garrett versus what I could learn from the user settings on a DFX or any other unit over $750 or so.

Back to focusing on the basics. My Lesche t-handle got ordered last night (trowel is on the list), and I'm going to hit Home Depot this week for kneepads and better rig myself for a day in the woods (or wherever) detecting.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    thats a pretty good deal Jack , I'll send you all my old ones to convert over

As long as you don't expect me to send them back I will pm you a shipping address.

...I am pretty sure it's a nationwide chain.

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Why we are on the subject of the DFX, I would highly recommend in investing in a 12x10 SEF coil (Butterfly Coil). It is a very good performer, and a deep runner on the DFX.

Here is a great program I developed with notes included. It was designed for larger coils, but works well on the 950 coil...

Adobe PDF Format

http://home.comcast.net/~whitesdfx/Super12.pdf

thats very similar to one of the main programs i use with a couple of the major setting differences . my recovery speed is a bit lower , I accept down to -35 into the iron and i run best data , this is a pretty hot and deep program with the 10x12 sef coil.

I always used Best Data with the Bigfoot Coil. I miss my DFX, but my buddy is probably having a blast with it. It got a good home.