Thread: Need a new search coil for my V3i asm y stock 10DD coil went bad. Any suggestions?

Veteran Member

Need a new search coil for my V3i asm y stock 10DD coil went bad. Any suggestions?

My 10"DD stock V3 coil finally crapped out. Whites guy Tony at electronic exploration is just up the road a mile or two and he confirmed it. So....i was thinking of the 12" or the 8x14". I already have the 4x6 shooter coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hunt a lot of older parks and wooded areas and I just recently started to hunt more on older homes on private property. Let me know what you Whites guys think!!

Your kidding me right, a whites 10"D2 coil died????
    Just kidding if you did not know they had a ton of problems with them.
    You might want to contact Whites and tell them. you just might just get a new one for free....
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

My old D2 coil (orange label) died on me last year so I put the one that came with my V3i on (much heavier) and it's been working actually better than the old one I think with less false signals than the old one. I would still buy an orange label one new if I could find one though cause they're remarkably light in construction.

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    My old D2 coil (orange label) died on me last year so I put the one that came with my V3i on (much heavier) and it's been working actually better than the old one I think with less false signals than the old one. I would still buy an orange label one new if I could find one though cause they're remarkably light in construction.
    The new 10"D2 coils are what they call "V" rated! something about a better "null", that might be why it worked better.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    The new 10"D2 coils are what they call "V" rated! something about a better "null", that might be why it worked better.
    It is also a v rated coil as well even though it did come out before the vision the V is embossed on the mounting ear like the V nulled coils are. I still have the coil and have been thinking about sending it in cause they can and do repair them. I'm also a member of geotech forum which is basically Carls forum I think, the guy that's an engineer for Whites electronics, I did check the forum for ways of nulling a coil but didn't see too much on DD coils but that's been quite some time ago and I might look more into it again to see if I can fix it myself.
    Last edited by giant056; 04-03-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    It is also a v rated coil as well even though it did come out before the vision the V is embossed on the mounting ear like the V nulled coils are. I still have the coil and have been thinking about sending it in cause they can and do repair them. I'm also a member of geotech forum which is basically Carls forum I think, the guy that's an engineer for Whites electronics, I did check the forum for ways of nulling a coil but didn't see too much on DD coils but that's been quite some time ago and I might look more into it again to see if I can fix it myself.
    Thanks for the heads up on that forum, gonna check it out!
    Tom

Candidate Member
    Give White's a call, they might surprise you with their reply.
    Also they can repair coils quite often for a fraction of the price of a new coil.
    White's... Eagle Spectrum, MXT, V3i.

Even the worst day detecting is better than the best day working.

If you do buy a new one, I recommend the 6x10. I have done well with it in old sites and modern parks alike. I think it offers both good coverage and good separation -- at least over the 950 that came with my VX3. I know people swear by the D2 but I've not gotten my hands on one yet.

Are the sef coils for whites V rated?

yes , this was the difference between the dfx s.e.f coils and the v3i.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I suggest contacting White's. The newer 10D2's are much better than the originals, and they might replace yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg408 View Post
    If you do buy a new one, I recommend the 6x10. I have done well with it in old sites and modern parks alike. I think it offers both good coverage and good separation...
    IMHO, that's the best coil White's ever made, and I've had 'em all.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    IMHO, that's the best coil White's ever made, and I've had 'em all.
    My opinion of the coil is even higher (though probably less humble) right now, because it just helped me get my first Seated Half. Pretty stoked right now!

I also like the Eclipse 5.3, though, for trashier areas.

G

I'd also recommend the 6x10 if you want to get another coil. Nice and light and probably the coil I tend to use most often these days.
    http://www.whiteselectronics.com/ecl...10-search-coil
    Last edited by gabby; 05-14-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    ACE 250 ATpro GTI2500
    V3I
    CTX3030
    Surf PI Pro
    Gabby