Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for guidance in CT

Looking for guidance in CT

I've been going out on short hunts but it seems like someone has been there before me wherever I go. I've had some luck finding historical sites and digging up artifacts to prove it (old blacksmithed pulley, nails and hinges from a long lost barn, etc...) but haven't found coins older than mid 20th century. I'm looking for hunting help! I'm a teacher so the summer is more open for me. Anyone in the area who is available this summer please let me know.

Lou

There's not many places that detectorist's haven't detected these days but you can't find everything. Chances are any place that does have the artifacts that you're talking about there's a good chance those iron pieces might be hiding stuff too, it's patience and persistence that will pay off, at least that's what I've found. Pretty much all the places that I hunt have been hunted many times over but every now and then I'll find something good that someone else has missed.

morning lou
    yes it is hard to find places that have not been hit but me and my mates do alright, so if you ever fancy going out to a few of our spots send me a message and we can get out there.
    im in wethersfield so im just down the road from you.
    im off friday this week.

I may not be one of the experts on here but I'm willing to get out. Three weeks has been a long time for me no detecting. I work M-F until 330, but I think I shall start burning vacation days.I don't want to waste the summer. Weekends still always be best, and I think the gf is stopping going/dragging me to bday/grad/summer parties during the weekends. lol. But to be out early in the am, there has to be some planning. Like a few days ahead...
    Last edited by MangoAve; 06-25-2014 at 07:17 AM.

Hey Lou as others have said most of us are just mopping up finds that others have missed. The good thing is technology has improved in MD's so there is a chance that someone missed a good target and your new machine will find it.

Also, weather has a LOT to play with finds. Every winter the frost heaves up some of the deeper targets.

We all look for that golden virgin site and we do find them but rarely. My best advise when hunting cellar holes is to get into the prickers, shrubs... as other might have not wanted to get in there and there is a good chance a nice target is waiting for you.

Hope this helps!

HH,
    Roger
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Looks like I shouldn't give up on those spots quite yet. Still, I have yet to explore a cellar hole or any seriously old sites. I'm looking to get permission to explore an old farm nearby...none have good experiences with old farms?

Quote Originally Posted by Twobit View Post
    I'm looking to get permission to explore an old farm nearby...none have good experiences with old farms?
    Lol. Farms seem to be quite well for hunting (as long as it's an older farm). You do realize that farming was the way of life back from 1500-mid 1800. The industrial revolution changed things a bit. Before combustion engines, fields were plowed by hand (oxen). Rock walls built by hand. So farm fields can prove 'profitable' in terms of dirt fishing. A farm field is where I got some musket balls and some old buttons.

Lou , I'd be happy to show you some basic pointers about cellar hunting or old field detecting for relics.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

The responses have been great. Have you all done a CT meet-up recently? Considering the number of people we have in CT it seems like we should try out one big meeting. If I had a location that wouldn't prove embarrassing if I brought people I'd suggest a date and time right now. Anyone else have a spot to hunt and an idea of a time they can toss out there?

There was something recent where 3 people from CT got together, and about two months ago there was a group of 4 that got out. I have only been out 1v1 and never seen a posting on here for more than 4 people from forum (not including dirt fishing america). I tried to organize 4 once, but no one could make it. There are ten people that I can think of here on this forum from CT. The YTC has...30? Ten people we would need a large place, or multiple places. A 1/3 acre lot would be done in about 15 min with 10 people, assuming everyone can make it. A place I know of that's big, is impossible to detect right now until it gets mowed by the town. I have yet to get permission on four local places, 1850, 1746, 1800, and 1808.

Do you have any friends who are hunters Lou? They often get access to hunt private lands, and may be able to get you access to the land as well for some swinging. A friend of mine has that situation, and after hearing me prattle on about detecting, mentioned seeing an old stone foundation on his hikes out to his territory. Now we're trying to organize a day all of us can go up there and poke around.

And just the past couple days another friend who's a member of a fish & game club (he got a detector as a gift last year, never used it, and has now caught the bug I got from seeing his detector), finally questioned some old stone walls on the club property after hearing my adventures last weekend. He did some poking around on the web about an old dirt road that passes through the club as well, and come to find out it may be the edge of a large agricultural/farming historic district in town dating back to the 1600's.
    He printed out a few things at work today, and we're going to do our best to see if we can find any old maps that might show what might have been on that dirt road that passes through the property. At the very least it warrants a walk out there deeper in the woods to see what there is to see. Swinging the detector along that old dirt road is probably a good idea while we're out there.

I'm just getting started as well, and not ready to knock on doors yet. Want to hone my skills a little better before digging old lawns (can't throw a rock without hitting an 1800's or 1700's home in town here) for old coins. That access for the woods hunts is pure luck so far, I still need to learn how to find my own places to run the coil over. Wish I had a summer to poke around, wanna swap jobs?
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

YES I want to swap jobs! I'm looking for a career change like you wouldn't believe the summers aren't worth the stress, disrespect, and public vilification by the media, politicians, and parents.

but, on another note, I love the idea of talking to hunting buddies. They just may have some connections for me. I'm thinking I just might log on to Facebook and actually use it for once.

the farm I'm hing to get permission for has been a family farm since the very early 1700's and should be interesting. It's never been developed. I'm asking if I can bring friends.

Welcome Twobit. Definitely a bunch of guys on here from CT. Group hunt would be cool. Would love to meet & hunt with more CT/MA/RI guys/gals.

As would I. Haven't had much time for detecting in the last month but am ready to go now. Would love to have some hunting company so just send me a message on this site if anyone wants to go out!

So someone take the reigns and put forth ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    As would I. Haven't had much time for detecting in the last month but am ready to go now. Would love to have some hunting company so just send me a message on this site if anyone wants to go out!
    You haven't been on the forum much lately either.

Researched the 2 leads my friend mentioned for the F&G property (my 1'st research), and both a bust. The historic areas aren't close enough, but were interesting to read up on. The stone walls and fields are old, and worth exploring regardless.

I'd be interested in getting out detecting with more CT detectors for sure. Dan and Drew are good people, looking forward to further meets. I've been on a CT fishing site for years and have organized plenty of outings (mostly ice fishing). I can easily see where having 10 people would be tough without a fair chunk of land/fields.
    I'm off for 4 days after tomorrow. With the weather my plans for Friday are getting porked, supposed to finally eyeball a potential site on private property, but Saturday and Sunday look great as alternates. If it's a total fail, plan on revisiting the carnival grounds this weekend if anyone is interested. A few people can have fun for hours easily.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

If I manage to squeeze information out of my wife about potential plans for the holiday this weekend I'd love to go out. I got my first silver coin yesterday in a school yard I had high hopes for. Also a spoon (haven't checked if it's silver but it's old) and some wheaties. Pushing aside that dirt and seeing the silver gleam for the first time is an awesome feeling!

Saturday looks like the day to get out for some detecting .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'm out for this weekend- be at Cape Cod with the family for the weekend. Hope to get out for some beach detecting. Good luck to everyone who is able to get out. Looking forward to some reports.

Agreed, it looks like Saturday will be the day to go. I'm really looking forward to a chance to hunt in a new spot and learn a bit on the way. A friend told me that he hikes the blue trail out near the Maromas section of Middletown and finds tons of old foundations and cellar holes. Anyone ever go out that way?
    Last edited by Twobit; 07-03-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Typed Sunday...meant Saturday