Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for guidance in CT

Nope, can't say I have been there. But Lol, I see there is a road there called Road A. They put a lot of effort into naming that one. This was not a town I pulled an old map for so I didn't know what was down there.

Edit: I did pulll a map now and wow. They had an Insane Asylum in that general area.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 07-03-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nope, can't say I have been there. But Lol, I see there is a road there called Road A. They put a lot of effort into naming that one. This was not a town I pulled an old map for so I didn't know what was down there.

Edit: I did pulll a map now and wow. They had an Insane Asylum in that general area.
    Not had, it's still there. Now called Connecticut Valley Hospital. Used to be called the Connecticut General Hospital for the Insane. I've had the blue trail system in Middletown on my "to explore" list for a while now. Guess I'll have to make it a priority now.

Can only imagine some of the crazy stuff you'll dig up there.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

The buddy who gave me the heads up has personally been to the sites with cellar holes and old foundations a number of times with his son. He can lead me right to the place. I just would need to pin him down on a trip. He says he usually hikes there in the Fall. He's was a West Hartford detective but now he's in IA in Middletown. He's done some metal detecting too. Maybe I can convince him to show me.

Well Kev, I never been there so I didn't know it still existed. I think last time I was in Middletown was a traffic ticket on rt 9 many years ago (and yes it was dropped).

Bri, I was wondering the same thing, however it's questionable cuz the patients aren't allowed to have much. But it's been around 150+ years and things were different back then so... your guess is as good as mine. Granted with MDing no one knows what they will find until they dig it.

Lou, at least u know it's OK to be hunted. I had no idea Middletown was so urbanized in 1868 compared to the rest of CT. It's one of the few towns where names were already given to streets. But many many houses. At least u have a person to show u where it is... well kev knows too.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 07-04-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Apparently Middletown was an important port town way back. I'd imagine there would be some interesting stuff to find closer to the river. Also, there is a "ghost town" that purportedly was abandoned. I think it would make for a nice group effort to pick that whole area apart. It's too big for one person to have any sort of chance anyway.

Lou, the first three towns were along the CT. Springfield, Hartford, and Windsor. Windsor was first English settlement in the state. The majority of ferries were up north of Hartford. There were five I am aware of. Middletown came later, but no doubt there is still some interesting stuff yet to be found there. None of this comment is snobbish, just putting forth info.

But the ghost town? I know of four "ghost towns" to check, two guaranteed need permission as they are owned by mature preserve and some other company. One is out toward Kent/New Milford. One is near Windham, one near Putnam, and other near Glastonbury. More planning needs to be put forth before going to detect those places. So, your place.... I thought you said u only had ideas that were embarrassing? Sounds like u have a place in mind for group place. Not trying to push u or anything. Lol

I'll do my best to get some solid information, maybe make a reconnaissance trip. I hope I can deliver. I seriously want to go out with some of the crew here and learn a thing or two.

If u want to try this week for a short hunt, pm me what your schedule looks for when u are free. I wanted to get out this Sat morning but I spent the time working on the house. I have two places in mind. Both public but not parks. Maybe I can get permission on a few other places. I have a ton of other places to try for that.

well, it's insane that i'm on vacation and yet still struggle to figure out when i'lll be free. That's what having two young children will do too ya. I should have started this child thing a long time ago. Anyway, I did the recon on Maromas and it looks good. I found two cellar holes and a small stone culvert over a tiny stream...it looked to be wide enough for a cart or carriage. I didnt even get to explore the area further on where my friend claims there are more foundations. The one large one I found is very prominent (right off a blue trail) and must have been hit again but I keep seeing guys on here pulling up loads of stuff from previously pounded sites. My buddy claims that some of the other holes are much harder to find because of overgrowth and are less likely to have been tampered with. Who knows?
    I was wondering if anyone would like to head down there soon. I will be fre for short hunts tomorrow after noon, Thursday from 9:30 til 3ish and saturday I was thinking we could get in a longer trip together if that works out better.
    I guess I should have posted this as a new thread in hunting buddies forum...but the whole conversation was had here...

So, open invite: I'll show people the site I found and they show me how to hunt it!

Lou

Unfortunately, I'm working this week & Saturday as well. I'll be available for a Sunday hunt if anyone is around then.

well im up for it,last day at work today and im off for 8 days and i fully intend to detect till my head falls off....so gis a shout.

Alright then....I posted what I found today at that site. It looks like it will be fun and there is MORE than enough to do for a good sized group of people. I would like to go check out the site again tomorrow if anyone is interested. Not sure how we will manage to get everyone there...I guess we could meet in downtown Middletown somewhere and then head down 91 from there. It's not a long ride at all (assuming you live in Hartford County). The place will, by no means, be exhausted with one day of searching. I haven't even seen the quarry my friend told me about yet.
    If anyone can go please let me know. Sadly, I can't get a super early start because I have to drop my son off at day care but I ca definitely be in Middletown by 9:30 to 10:00. Please let me know if you are interested.

Lou

yawn....big stretch.......ohhhh....ohhh...aarrr......ok im ready ,im in wethersfield so not to far away, give me a call when you drop the kids off and i can meet you somewhere in middle town or come round me house.
    860 297 1279
    lee

Fantastic day to be out. You guys wind up hitting that site?
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

yeah, it was overwhelming the number of cellar holes and promising sites. We didnt really hit any one area for long..kinda wandered through the woods. detecting as we went. The cellar holes appear very old...some of them have massive trees in the center of them. Lee found a sweet button, I found trash!

We are planning on going back midday tomorrow again. It looks like Mango, Kpmoose, Lee, and I will be there. Please join us! Five people is not enough to touch this area. I'm offering Lee's phone number to call since he posted it above! Give a call tomorrow or just respond back here. I'll PM directions.

Thanks for the invite Lou, and the PM. Frick, I really want to meet more of the CT crew, but we'll have to try again soon! I even screwed up and missed the YTC meeting this month (had it marked for Sunday on my phone calendar...)

A friend from work is taking me and my friend Ron to a site on private land in the NW hills he hunts on tomorrow. It's a pic I posted in the Relic forum. He's got some maintenance to do in his spots, and we'll be swinging for a couple hours or so. Will be doing the 8lb 6oz baby Jesus prayer that we find a reason to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Twobit View Post
    yeah, it was overwhelming the number of cellar holes and promising sites. We didnt really hit any one area for long..kinda wandered through the woods. detecting as we went. The cellar holes appear very old...some of them have massive trees in the center of them. Lee found a sweet button, I found trash!

We are planning on going back midday tomorrow again. It looks like Mango, Kpmoose, Lee, and I will be there. Please join us! Five people is not enough to touch this area. I'm offering Lee's phone number to call since he posted it above! Give a call tomorrow or just respond back here. I'll PM directions.
    Wow it sounds like a great site! Hope you guys have a great day with dome great finds! Best of luck and happy hunting!

Thanks Paul...
    Three of us went and it was challenging again. So much area and finding just the right cellar hole has proven difficult. Apparently some branch of the armed forces used part of the area for training exercises some time ago. We found about a ton of rifle blanks at two inches. There was other stuff we found but not what we were hoping for at such a an old site. just gotta keep swinging that coil and it will come.

Yup, challenging sums it up. Either way, it was still great to get out with you and Jim (MangoAve). Thanks for setting it up and showing us the sites you had found previously. We'll definitely have to get out there late fall/ early winter to see if we can locate any sites that may be hiding behind dense growth.